U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 29 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

chipso1

Rinkside
Perhaps a "Russian Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread" could be started for all the talk about Sotnikova and the other Russian wonderbabies? :)

chipso1

Rinkside
I think it's more important for Gao to have a strong technical base at this point in her career (which she does). The attention to detail and line will continue to improve as she gets older (I mean, look how far she's come in the past 6 months!). She's also very consistent, which is an important quality to have. It was only in January 2009 that she fell three times in her junior FS at Nationals, and now she's routinely delivering 6-7 triple programs (2009 Junior Grand Prix Final, Junior Worlds, Skate Detroit, Thornhill, JGP Austria). I'm very impressed with how much she has improved in only her second season of international competition. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Perhaps a "Russian Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread" could be started for all the talk about Sotnikova and the other Russian wonderbabies? :)

There are so many "Polinas" we could have a good thread just trying to keep them straight. ;)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Lots of skaters have spin coaches, footwork coaches, stroking coaches, not just skaters at the Cricket Club. Orser is a great coach but a coach can only go so far. Given the quality of Adelina's spins, footwork, jumps, basic skating, I don't think the kid is at a disadvantage where she's at all. She's amazing in all of those areas. And as for Tarasova, she can run hot and cold in her choregraphy but she has done a good job in the past with some students and I think her style will work better with Adelina than it did with Mao. I'm sure the Russian federation will not be leaving anything to chance anyways.

It is a course a matter of if the Russian prodigies make it to puberty but I think a couple will. Adelina actually has dealt with growth spurts already and adjusted. She's grown a lot since she was 12. She's now 155 cm, so she's had some big growth spurts already.

Well, I was thinking this but didn't want to say. But since you brought it up.... Tarasova's choreo is a bit musty. You are right that her style fits Adelina but I hope she can mix it up a bit for that girl, I dunno, something a bit more ... surprising. Still, Adelina is so young. It's normal and fitting for her to be skating to old war horses until she really gets her style together.

I agree with Janetfan that we have to wait. And anything can happen. And I do hope she fixes her flutz that someone else pointed out. Still, I'm so excited about this girl. Too bad Dick Button doesn't commentate anymore. He used to say "reminiscent of Janet Lynn!" when he would watch Michelle Kwan's perfect landings on her jumps. Maybe with Adelina someone will say "reminiscent of Sasha Cohen!" when they watch Adelina's spins and spirals ;)

I think with Christina, the "hype" is really all about how she will do at senior nationals, given that - as has been the case for years now - there is no runaway favorite. So, there is a lot of room for Gao and some of the other youngsters to come in and play spoiler for the older girls - before these older girls ever even really make their mark on the international stage! I think Mirai and Rachael are the leaders, and personally, I am hoping for Ashley and Alissa to have a great year. But they have to watch out!

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well, I was thinking this but didn't want to say. But since you brought it up.... Tarasova's choreo is a bit musty. You are right that her style fits Adelina but I hope she can mix it up a bit for that girl, I dunno, something a bit more ... surprising. Still, Adelina is so young. It's normal and fitting for her to be skating to old war horses until she really gets her style together.

I agree with Janetfan that we have to wait. And anything can happen. And I do hope she fixes her flutz that someone else pointed out. Still, I'm so excited about this girl. Too bad Dick Button doesn't commentate anymore. He used to say "reminiscent of Janet Lynn!" when he would watch Michelle Kwan's perfect landings on her jumps. Maybe with Adelina someone will say "reminiscent of Sasha Cohen!" when they watch Adelina's spins and spirals ;)

I think with Christina, the "hype" is really all about how she will do at senior nationals, given that - as has been the case for years now - there is no runaway favorite. So, there is a lot of room for Gao and some of the other youngsters to come in and play spoiler for the older girls - before these older girls ever even really make their mark on the international stage! I think Mirai and Rachael are the leaders, and personally, I am hoping for Ashley and Alissa to have a great year. But they have to watch out!

Watching Mao's new exhibition program by Tat and the way Mao skates it left me spellbound. It is some of the most beautiful skating/choreo I have ever seen. :bow:

Some of the dresses we have seen - for lack of a better word might seem "musty" :)
But I agree some of Mao's choreo has seemed a little hit or miss.

As chipso pointed out this is only Christina's second year competing at Intl events.
I think many US fans will be happy seeing our senior Ladies medaling at their GP events and making the final the way Christina did last season. Her 5th place finish at her first Natls was nice to see as well.

The way I see it we can all have favorites. I am excited about Christina and think she is showing an abilty to compete and to get better. That is enough for me although I would add I think she has a lovely presence on the ice which will only get better with more experience.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
And over at another forum the "Agnes Hype Machine" is firing on all cylinders following that comp... :biggrin:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is Caroline's SP from Skate Canada. Some think she gets a raw deal in the US but comments from Kurt Browning might show the view north of the border is not much different than here in the USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urqicJpb1QM

They call her "such a contradiction, moments of brilliance followed by................."

Hope Caroline bounces back this season and makes all of us eat our words (excluding Bob :))

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Here is Caroline's SP from Skate Canada. Some think she gets a raw deal in the US but comments from Kurt Browning might show the view north of the border is not much different than here in the USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urqicJpb1QM

They call her "such a contradiction, moments of brilliance followed by................."

Hope Caroline bounces back this season and makes all of us eat our words (excluding Bob :))

That commentary right about nails it. It's very strange to watch Caroline because she has the maybe the best lines and positions among senior ladies right now, and absolutely stunning spins when she manages to get some speed into them.
Yet her skating looks very labored because of her lack of speed. And the other strange thing is that her jumping technique is so awful it even makes me cringe (and normally have a hard time noticing wonky technique among senior skaters). She muscles into every jump and it always looks hard - but then she goes and lands them!
I know she already was aware of this problem last season and wasn't able to fix it so it makes me wonder if she has it in her. But can you imagine if she could fix these issues? She would be sensational.

Yeah, Layfan. This is why so many of us continue to hope for and to root for Caroline. The elements in which she excels are delightful to watch. She's not an ordinary, so-what skater. So it's worth continuing to pay attention to her on the chance that she solves her problems, because as you say, if she could fix those issues, she'd be sensational.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
With Agnes, Rachael, Gao all doing 7 triples in the LP, Ashley is really dunzo.
I honestly don't see her getting out of the US soil, except maybe for those Grand Prix series.
Same with Alissa.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ice is slippery.

I have to concur.

I had hopes that Wagner would really set herself apart in the coming months, but sounds like she has to play catch-up now (as does Nagasu). Oh well, we still have another couple of months before things start getting serious. I can't really see any American lady making the GPF thus far.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ice is slippery for those who are inconsistent. :). I think she and Alissa have absolutely no chance unless Gao starts calling Orser a liar, Mirai represents Japan, Rachael kneecaps Agnes ;).

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

R.D.

Record Breaker
Again, I am not going to worry until time begins to run out. And that won't start to happen 'till about Nov-Dec.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Fortunately, there's always ice dance.

Yes, it is nice that we have wonderful Dance Teams :)

And there is also Jeremy and Adam and few decent Pairs teams as well.
As RD said, let's wait for the senior Ladies to begin their more serious competitions before we write 'em off.

Bring on the WTT :)