Virtue and Moir vs. The World | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir vs. The World

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I honestly can't see a V/M finishing any lower than second. Though we haven't seen them skate yet, I just get the feeling they'll be as great as they always were.

On that note, if a lot of us assume P/C and V/M are a lock for 1-2 (not necessarily in that order), the battles for 2017 world bronze and 2018 Olympic bronze are going to be a bloodbath. There are so many top quality teams out there fighting for those medals.

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
McNamara and Carpenter :biggrin:

(Totally joking, in case the emoticon didn't imply it. The idea is interesting to consider, though-will any of the current juniors get off to that strong of a start in the Olympic year?)

I'm not sure if someone currently skating junior will be able to get up the ice dance ranks in time to challenge the Oly podium. Tessa and Scott had a breakout senior season and didn't even qualify for the Olympics in 2006. McNamara and Carpenter have been dominating the junior field and I don't think they could break the top 5 on a good day. Her free legs, extensions, and skating skills in general are sloppy, and her exaggerated facial expressions won't get her very far in seniors. HE is a fabulous partner, and I think her weaknesses can be improved upon, but I doubt they'll be contending for the Oly podium.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Re juniors. I don't think they'll even make the USA world team. There are a lot of very fine teams ahead.

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
Re juniors. I don't think they'll even make the USA world team. There are a lot of very fine teams ahead.

Agreed. I believe they're staying junior this year as well? Not doing themselves any favours. Must be nice to win it all at junior but they need senior international experience if they want to start challenging the other american senior teams...who are leaps and bounds ahead of them technically and artistically.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Agreed, and what if Davis and White come back. You have Chock and BAtes and the Shibutanis and then 3 really good teams or more fighting it out for bronze at Nats. Forget M and C. Sorry they are good but not that good and have to ajust to seniors. As for V and M I always fet they were prone to errors. I won't get into the weight issues that I have seen the realissues is can they get the GOE's and the levels up on lifts and all their elements. Plus we want to see them push the artistic envelope. They have the potential but they may get scared and go safe if they want to win Oly gold which I am sure is on their mind. I do wonder deep down what Weaver and Poje and theFrench are thinking. The French I think will survive and stay on top or at the very worst podium but w and p - not sure what will happen as they have been sliding down at worlds.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I like how they haven't even competed in 2 seasons, but they are already predicted to take bronze in Pyeongchang. :clap:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The good thing is that Tessa and Scott are both still quite young for ice dancers. So they won't have physical disadvantages in the current field. I hope that she hasn't got and won't have problems with her shins.
But I don't think that they'll be satisfied with bronze, although they say so. I don't believe them. Ok, maybe Tessa is really thinking that way but Scott isn't. Anyway, we're in for a treat. :)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
why bronze?
Imo they'll be fighting for gold with P/C

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
why bronze?

I feel this could be like that, but after 2 last seasons I refuse to make any 'fighting for gold' predictions in Ice Dance, especially considering 1) Tessa and Scott are coming back from 2 seasons off competition and 2) we don't know/did not see yet any SD/FD from top teams.

But that 'Latch' FD made my heart beat faster to be honest after saw it today after looong time without GS, it could be something, but too much depending on version, music cuts and choreography...

olayolay

On the Ice
I feel this could be like that, but after 2 last seasons I refuse to make any 'fighting for gold' predictions in Ice Dance, especially considering 1) Tessa and Scott are coming back from 2 seasons off competition and 2) we don't know/did not see yet any SD/FD from top teams.

But that 'Latch' FD made my heart beat faster to be honest after saw it today after looong time without GS, it could be something, but too much depending on version, music cuts and choreography...

There are clips from V/M's SD here and here

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
why bronze?

I think some ice dance fans automatically recalled Torvill/Dean's comeback. They've been living legends, but only had to settle with a bronze at Lillehammer after 10 years away from competition. Many at that time said they deserved the gold though.

robredo40

On the Ice
What Makes people automatically assume that Pap&Ciz can beat them , the fact of the matter is technically none of the ice dance teams this quad are as strong technically as V&M or D&W were, just the crazy difficult lifts none of these teams can do them including the French, plus Gabriella's weaknesses as a skater will be glaring when she goes head to head with Tessa Virtue, plus V&M were in an unfavorable training situation before training in the US against their main rivals with a coach that was hellbent on getting an OGM for the americans on her resume, Tessa and Scott are in the drivers seat now training in Canada with Canadian coaches politics will be on their side.

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
What Makes people automatically assume that Pap&Ciz can beat them , the fact of the matter is technically none of the ice dance teams this quad are as strong technically as V&M or D&W were, just the crazy difficult lifts none of these teams can do them including the French,

P/C don't need crazy difficult lifts.It was said their lifts were too simple but they got level four for them didn't they?I disagree C/B S/S S/B all can do great lifts.
s

... plus V&M were in an unfavorable training situation before training in the US against their main rivals with a coach that was hellbent on getting an OGM for the americans on her resume.

Maybe they will be training side by side in Canada against their main rivals with a coach that is hellbent on getting an OGM for the French on her resume.

robredo40

On the Ice
no Marie france has developed a very close relationship with V&M, if they beat the French this year I would not be surprised to seem them bolt, plus I am sure V&M received firm guarantees that they would get a fair shot at the OGM or else they would not have comeback.

all that

Final Flight
What Makes people automatically assume that Pap&Ciz can beat them , the fact of the matter is technically none of the ice dance teams this quad are as strong technically as V&M or D&W were, just the crazy difficult lifts none of these teams can do them including the French, plus Gabriella's weaknesses as a skater will be glaring when she goes head to head with Tessa Virtue, plus V&M were in an unfavorable training situation before training in the US against their main rivals with a coach that was hellbent on getting an OGM for the americans on her resume, Tessa and Scott are in the drivers seat now training in Canada with Canadian coaches politics will be on their side.

I think the favored wind is blowing in P/C's direction, and it will be very difficult for another team to win for the next two years.

robredo40

On the Ice
a lot of things can happen in 2 years, did anybody believe that teams like C&B and C&L could get scores of 113 and 112 at worlds respectively, the French are not as strong technically as D&W they had a few mistakes at worlds namely Gabriella that were ignored at worlds.

all that

Final Flight
a lot of things can happen in 2 years, did anybody believe that teams like C&B and C&L could get scores of 113 and 112 at worlds respectively, the French are not as strong technically as D&W they had a few mistakes at worlds namely Gabriella that were ignored at worlds.

The key part of your post was "that were ignored at worlds." If the judges want a team to win, then mistakes will always be ignored. This even happened with D/W.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The key part of your post was "that were ignored at worlds." If the judges want a team to win, then mistakes will always be ignored. This even happened with D/W.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The ball is in the judges' court. All the teams could have level 4 elements (like many did at Worlds this year) and then it's up to the judges with their GOEs and PCS. They get to decide who takes gold and who ends up 10th as they wish. In some ways, it's a bit of modern '6.0'.