What are you listening to right now? | Page 118 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
The Broadway Cast recording of "Beautiful" - The Carole King Musical (just saw it again on the National Tour)
A memory.. I went to a James Taylor concert in Boston very early ‘70’s .. after his final song, he addressed the audience saying his most beloved songs were written by a huge talent who was too shy to perform but she would for us .. he then pushed Carole King toward the piano onstage😁. She hung back then slowly made her way and we heard It’s Too Late and I Feel the Earth Move.. the songs were very new..I think. Tapestry had just been released.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A memory.. I went to a James Taylor concert in Boston very early ‘70’s .. after his final song, he addressed the audience saying his most beloved songs were written by a huge talent who was too shy to perform but she would for us .. he then pushed Carole King toward the piano onstage😁. She hung back then slowly made her way and we heard It’s Too Late and I Feel the Earth Move.. the songs were very new..I think. Tapestry had just been released.
I've lost count of how many times we've seen JT in concert (most recently last summer - Seeing him in concert is a "tradition" for us)! We did get to see JT & Carole King in their concert tour together a few years ago, and that was such a treat! I especially 💕 when they sing his "You Can Close Your Eyes" a capella. This was the third time we've seen "Beautiful," & it just doesn't get old for us.

This was the music that got me interested in David Foster's instrumental music (I have a few of his instrumental CDs). I can't say that I'm that 'into" his producing of other artists. Sometimes I feel his work for other artists is over-produced). I 💕 this theme, and I remember how it was used for the Champions on Ice tour through the late 1980's through the 1990's.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS · EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Happy 90th birthday to John Williams!

In celebration, John Williams conducting the Tabernacle Choir in Call of the Champions (the fanfare he composed for the 2002 Winter Olympics).

Thank you!!!

I was only starting to get interested in winter sports at this time. I had been watching ski jumping for a couple of years, and I started dipping into figure skating more often in 2003. But I didn't start watching the Olympics until Vancouver 2010. So, I hadn't heard this before.

Yes, I enjoyed that!

And how cute are the children in the traditional costumes of the various countries?! :love:

By the way, for the past month or so, I have been watching the 1966 TV series "The Time Tunnel". And John Williams composed the theme tune for it. Or "Johnny Williams", as he was calling himself back then. And it started me wondering what age he was then, and what age he is now. But, I would forget by the time I got to the computer. :slink:

So, thank you for answering my question. :bow: :thank:

It turns out that he was 34 back then. So, just a year or so younger than me.

I don't think there was a full length version of the piece made, so here are opening titles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45yEYwKzq8o

Thank you again

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

This was the music that got me interested in David Foster's instrumental music (I have a few of his instrumental CDs). I can't say that I'm that 'into" his producing of other artists. Sometimes I feel his work for other artists is over-produced). I 💕 this theme, and I remember how it was used for the Champions on Ice tour through the late 1980's through the 1990's.

Never heard that piece before, but I absolutely loved it!!!

So, this was the theme music for Calgary 1988. Brilliant! How have the themes managed to go so far downhill since then?! The themes from the past few Olympics have paled in comparison.

I was only a toddler back in 1988. So, I don't know how much we would have heard "Winter Games". I suspect that the BBC would not have used it that much. When they had the rights, the BBC used the iconic theme tune for their "Ski Sunday" programme for the Winter Olympics coverage:

Sam Fonteyn - "Pop Looks Bach"

And here it is in use in the titles for the BBC coverage from 1988:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WES4TAqSxik

And nice to see Des Lynam at the end of that clip.

CaroLiza_fan

Arigato

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was only a toddler back in 1988.

BlankNeedyBaleenwhale-max-1mb.gif

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Never heard that piece before, but I absolutely loved it!!!

So, this was the theme music for Calgary 1988. Brilliant! How have the themes managed to go so far downhill since then?! The themes from the past few Olympics have paled in comparison.

I was only a toddler back in 1988. So, I don't know how much we would have heard "Winter Games". I suspect that the BBC would not have used it that much. When they had the rights, the BBC used the iconic theme tune for their "Ski Sunday" programme for the Winter Olympics coverage:

Sam Fonteyn - "Pop Looks Bach"

And here it is in use in the titles for the BBC coverage from 1988:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WES4TAqSxik

And nice to see Des Lynam at the end of that clip.

CaroLiza_fan
I really like the "Pop Looks Bach" theme! Thanks for sharing it!

One of my favorite CDs is John Williams' "Summon the Heroes," which came out in time for the 2006 Atlanta Summer Olympics. I also really enjoy his Olympic theme music for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.

Your photo as a toddler is adorable!

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Main theme from the film
Polish Wedding
“The Blue Shawl”
Instrumental with a lovely violin
and voices from a Polish children’s choir

A tribute for a brave country stepping up to the plate for their neighbors in need..

ALSO:
Wiosna (Spring) - Chopin

Last edited:

labgoat

Cheering for the new kids on the JGP block!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Main theme from the film
Polish Wedding
“The Blue Shawl”
Instrumental with a lovely violin
and voices from a Polish children’s choir

A tribute for a brave country stepping up to the plate for their neighbors in need..!

ALSO:
Wiosna (Spring) - Chopin

Thanks! I adore Chopin but never knew he had written any vocal music. And golly, what a marvelous voice!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This French 79 album has been my go to soundtrack for running over the last few months!

The video was a bit confusing for me on first watch but this comment really offers an interesting perspective.

I love how each of these people is experiencing something extraordinary. They're scared by it at first yet once it's gone, it stays with them, they're unique, with their own experiences of it. For the moments that they see the lights, they're entirely unique and alone in the world, and they crave it again, to understand more. It's beautiful.” -Lexa

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My favourite radio presenter, Gerry Anderson, always made a point of playing a particular song on St. Pratrick's Day every year. Since he died, his sidekick, Sean Coyle, has carried on the tradition on his own show. But, I am a few weeks behind in listening to Sean's show. So, to keep with tradition, I got out my Mum's copy of the album the song is on, and listened to it off my own bat.

Van Morrison And The Chieftains - "I'll Tell Me Ma"

☘️ HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY EVERYBODY!!! ☘️

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: