What are you listening to right now? | Page 119 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

auser

Record Breaker
A memory.. I went to a James Taylor concert in Boston very early ‘70’s .. after his final song, he addressed the audience saying his most beloved songs were written by a huge talent who was too shy to perform but she would for us .. he then pushed Carole King toward the piano onstage😁. She hung back then slowly made her way and we heard It’s Too Late and I Feel the Earth Move.. the songs were very new..I think. Tapestry had just been released.
Such a special and wonderful experience. Kudos for your taste and foresight. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS · EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My favourite radio presenter, Gerry Anderson, always made a point of playing a particular song on St. Pratrick's Day every year. Since he died, his sidekick, Sean Coyle, has carried on the tradition on his own show. But, I am a few weeks behind in listening to Sean's show. So, to keep with tradition, I got out my Mum's copy of the album the song is on, and listened to it off my own bat.

Van Morrison And The Chieftains - "I'll Tell Me Ma"

☘️ HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY EVERYBODY!!! ☘️

CaroLiza_fan

Just to let you know, although I haven't reached the St. Patrick's Day episode of Sean's show yet, I checked the playlist and he did play it!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Haven't had a chance to post in this thread since then, but wanted to add in a few songs connected to films I have watched recently.

At the start of last week, I had watched "Easter Parade" (1948). And this is the song that stuck in my head after watching it:

Fred Astaire And Judy Garland - "A Couple Of Swells"

Even when she is dressed up as a tramp, Judy still looks amazing! :love: :love: :love:

Then on Thursday, I watched "Judy" (2019). As I am a big fan of Judy Garland, I had really been looking forward to it. But, it wasn't great. Sorry, but Renée Zellweger is no Judy Garland.

After hearing Renée attempt Judy's most famous song, I had to listen to the real thing:

Judy Garland - "Over The Rainbow"

Then on Sunday night, I watched "Bohemian Rhapsody" (2018). I know I'm biased as Queen is my favourite band of all time, but I absolutey loved it!!! Strangely, it was not my all-time favourite song (i.e. the title song) that got stuck in my head. Instead, it was a song I had actually forgotten about:

Queen - "Hammer To Fall"

And some good news. The most recent version of "A Star Is Born" (2018) was repeated last night!!! So, I got to see the last 45 minutes that I missed when I last attempted to watch it at the end of January. :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Have to be honest, the part that I watched the first time round was better. The songs in the part I watched today weren't as good. So, I will just direct you back to my last post for the song recommendation. Because, even though I didn't hear it today, just thinking about it meant it got stuck in my head! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Jessica Williams
(Passed away March 20… RIP)

The Quilt

Love and Hate

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so strictly speaking, it was last night that I heard this. But, I had just shut down the computer for the night, and I wasn't going to put it back on!

While flicking through the channels last night, I came across a "Top Of The Pops" best of 1995 special. And it included the following performance:

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, featuring Kylie Minogue - "Where the Wild Roses Grow"

I hadn't heard the song before, but Kylie was so good. Nick? Well, he was tuneless. :laugh:

Presented by comedy duo Gareth Hale and Norman Pace.

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 1998 Royal National Theatre production of "Oklahoma!" So much better than the current US National Tour production, IMHO (we saw the National Tour version 3 weeks ago, & sad to say, we were very disappointed in it - Trust me, it hurts to say that because we LOVE the original Broadway Cast recording & the movie version). We DID see revivals of Oklahoma! circa mid-2000's on Broadway & locally, and they were terrific!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just watched last night's opening episode of "Britain's Got Talent". And I had to share the final act they showed:

Loren Allred - 2022 BGT Audition

You mightn't recognise the name, but you will definitely recognise the voice. As soon as she started singing, her story was verified.

That performance sent tingles down me.

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Iron Horse - Mean Mary
(Fast banjo)
Race between a horse and a train across “the Great Divide”

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That’s easy for right now:

In honor of Sofia Samodurova’s just announced retirement.

This was my favorite SP this season.

Always will think of her when this song is played.

labgoat

On special assignment for work, see you in August
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With subtitles
or
Without subtitles (Official)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Although I was not familiar with the band, I thought I should post this.

Yesterday morning, I read a story on teletext. Family band The Judds, comprising mother Naomi and daughter Wynonna, were due to be inducted into the Country Music Hall Of Fame on Sunday. Unfortunately, Naomi had been suffering from depression for many years, and died on Saturday, the day before the ceremony. She was 76.

Later on yesterday, I was watching the day's episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation". And I got a big surprise when I spotted Naomi's younger daughter, the then unknown but now very famous actress Ashley Judd. Talk about a coincidence!

I should add, this was not a change of schedule in reaction to her mother's death. The channel is showing the episodes in order, so the episode where Ashley made her screen debut was always due to be shown yesterday.

I never knew that Ashley was from a musical family. But, although the band name didn't ring a bell, it turns out that I do actually know one of their songs. And it was written by Naomi. So, in tribute, here is a live performance of it from just 3 weeks ago:

The Judds - "Love Can Build A Bridge"

My thoughts go out to her family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There is a "Top Of The Pops" best of 1997 special on at the moment, and I have been singing along to everything because this is my era!!!

Hanson - "Mmmbop"

Eternal - "I Wanna Be The Only One"

Backstreet Boys - "As Long As You Love Me"

All Saints - "Never Ever"

Aqua - "Barbie Girl"

No Doubt - "Don't Speak"

Texas - "Say What You Want"

Spice Girls - "Who Do You Think You Are?"

And we have just reached a song I don't know, so I'll bail out now (I woke up very early this morning). Mind you, it is the sort of thing I imagine that @elektra blue and @Lamente Ariane would like, so I will add it in before I go:

Placebo - "Nancy Boy"

Enjoy!

CaroLiza_fan

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
There is a "Top Of The Pops" best of 1997 special on at the moment, and I have been singing along to everything because this is my era!!!

Hanson - "Mmmbop"

Aqua - "Barbie Girl"

No Doubt - "Don't Speak"

And we have just reached a song I don't know, so I'll bail out now (I woke up very early this morning). Mind you, it is the sort of thing I imagine that @elektra blue and @Lamente Ariane would like, so I will add it in before I go:

Placebo - "Nancy Boy"

Enjoy!

CaroLiza_fan
it sounds like elementary school birthday party to me :LOL: (with some songs from my sister's "stayout of my room" playlist), but i've never been a fan of Placebo, i can't stand Brian Molko's voice

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Hanson - "Mmmbop"

Aqua - "Barbie Girl"

No Doubt - "Don't Speak"

Placebo - "Nancy Boy"

Enjoy!

CaroLiza_fan
On a side note, always wanted to see Ashley Wagner skate to "Say What you Want" by Texas, though now also thinking it would be a good program for Sakamoto.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After enjoying the first half hour last night, I went back and watched the second half-hour this morning. And I was singing along again! :laugh:

Shola Ama - "You Might Need Somebody"

Robbie Williams - "Angels"

Chumbawamba - "Tubthumping"

Gala - "Freed From Desire"

Natalie Imbruglia - "Torn" [I wonder if she will turn up in the "Neighbours" finale? I already know that Ian Smith, Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan are going to]

Andrea Boccelli and Sarah Brightman - "Time To Say Goodbye (Con Te Partirò)" [Do you approve of this type of opera crossover, @elektra blue ?]

Ultra Naté - "Free"

And there were some more songs I didn't know:

Beck - "The New Pollution" [OK, so this was early in the programme, between the Backstreet Boys and All Saints. But I conveniently left it off my previous post. I do know some of his other songs, but just not this one]

Bush - "Swallowed" [Never heard tell of either the band or the song]

Eels - "Novocaine For The Soul" [Eek! Just looked it up and it's a drug! :eek:]

Is Bush more to your pleasing, @elektra blue ?

I caught the last 10 minutes of the programme on before that special, and it was talking about the music of 1997. And I heard a song that I was expecting to make into this compilation. But, it didn't, so I will add it in now:

Louise - "Let's Go Round Again"

I had such a crush on Louise Nurding, and was so jealous when footballer Jamie Redknapp married her. But, a few days ago I watched the episode of "DNA Journey" that Jamie did with cricketer Freddie Flintoff, and he is such a likable guy! (He and Freddie both are, actually). So, I have now forgiven him.

[I wonder if they have a 1998 special planned. Because my biggest music crush should definitely be appearing on it...]

it sounds like elementary school birthday party to me :LOL:

Ah, I forgot that you are that little bit younger than me. I started secondary school in 1997. But, I totally agree!

(with some songs from my sister's "stayout of my room" playlist)

Now I'm intrigued!

but i've never been a fan of Placebo, i can't stand Brian Molko's voice

Sorry about that. It was just the type of music I could imagine you would have liked. But, I can definitely relate to what you are saying. I had that problem with Damiano David around this time last year... :devil:

On a side note, always wanted to see Ashley Wagner skate to "Say What you Want" by Texas, though now also thinking it would be a good program for Sakamoto.

I don't know about Ashley, but I do agree that "Say What you Want" could make a good skating programme. And there are a few other songs on that compilation that I think would too, e.g. "You Might Need Somebody" by Shola Ama, or "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia (nearly sure the latter has been done, but not sure abour the former).

And by sheer coincidence, there was a whole hour of a concert where Texas were playing with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra straight after that TOTP special. But, I haven't watched it (yet, anyway).

Anyway, I hope you have all enjoyed my trip down memory lane.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After the Texas concert, there were short specials of appearances by All Saints and Eternal on Top Of The Pops shown. I watched them there now too! :biggrin:

All Saints - "I Know Where It's At"

All Saints - "Never Ever" [This properly live performance of "Never Ever" (performances on TOTP are normally mimed), including the interview, was used in the All Saints compilation, and is a different performance to the one that was used in the 1997 compilation]

All Saints - "Under The Bridge"

All Saints - "Lady Marmalade" [Don't know if she had announced it at this stage, but Melanie Blatt was pregnant during this performance]

I should add, the two covers that ended this compilation were the first versions of these songs that I heard. As a result, I tend to measure other vesions of these songs against the All Saints versions rather than the original versions.

Eternal - "Stay"

Eternal - "Save Our Love"

Eternal - "Just A Step From Heaven"

Eternal - "Oh Baby!"

Eternal - "Power Of A Woman"

Eternal - "I Am Blessed"

Eternal - "Someday"

Eternal - "Angel Of Mine"

[The performance of "I Wanna Be The Only One" that I linked to last night was also shown, in between "Someday" and "Angel Of Mine"]

Time for breakfast!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Haven't finished watching last night's Eurovision Semi-Final 2 yet. But, I just reached the second interval act, and HAD to share it straight away.

It's "Grande Amore", Jim, but not as we know it! ;)

Il Volo - "Grande Amore"

And now for the big question that is on all our lips:

Is this rocked-up version any more acceptable to @elektra blue than the regular version?

CaroLiza_fan