What are you listening to right now? | Page 110 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Maia Khromykh skated her SP to “I’ll Take Care of You” from Beth Hart & Joe Bonnamassa at the Junior ladies Russian test skates this week; a number of people commented on the maturity of the song given to one so young. I know mature songs have been given to youngsters before and it always gives me a slight headache and downturn not to mention the interpretation of the song suffers... one asks “why?” when there is so much music available for skaters in Maiia’s age-range.
I enjoy a good torch song as much as the next person and I like to see such songs performed to the full ... my two cents FWIW. Anyway I pulled up the stage performance... SO good!!
https://youtu.be/nW3OrLHj0lQ

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I was here AGES ago and feeling guilty out of sudden...will have a lot of catch up to do!

Lately, I listen to this never-ending playlist on Spotify called 'Modern Rock (1990s-2020)' and I brought so many memories of my high school time/university time...

Also got back to Nao's album 'Saturn', such a gem!

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am afraid I am here to report the death of one of my fellow Ulstermen. Downpatrick's Ian Mitchell, who was the bassist with the Bay City Rollers for a few months in 1976, died at the age of 62 on Tuesday.

Ian was only 17 when he joined the band, and he was the first member of the band who was not Scottish (indeed, he was the first member not to be from Edinburgh!) He replaced original bassist Alan Longmuir, but only stayed for 7 months before being replaced by Pat McGlynn (who was from Edinburgh).

The most successful song that the Bay City Rollers had while Ian was a member was a cover of Dusty Springfield's "I Only Want To Be With You". So, you would expect me to post that song as my tribute. But, I am going to take a different approach.

Either side of 1976, Ian was in a band with some friends from his hometown. So, as my tribute, here are a couple of their songs that Ian played a part in writing:

Rosetta Stone - "Steel Willie"

Rosetta Stone - "Drive On"

My thoughts are with his family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A couple of days ago, I watched the film "Desire Under The Elms" (1958), and one of the characters was played by Pernell Roberts, who the following year would start playing Adam Cartwright in TV series "Bonanza".

And ever since, the following song (which my favourite radio presenter Gerry Anderson played quite often on his BBC Radio Ulster show) has been stuck in my head:

Gurf Morlix - "Dan Blocker"

The song is based on the "Bonanza" theme tune, and the names mentioned are of the actors who played the main characters:

• Dan Blocker - played Hoss Cartwright (middle son)
  • Lorne Greene - played Ben Cartwright (Dad)
  • Michael Landon - played Little Joe Cartwright (youngest son)
  • Pernell Roberts - played Adam Cartwright (eldest son)

And if you want to hear the iconic theme in it's full and original form, here it is:

Al Caiola - "Bonanza"

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Took me a very long time to find a copy, but here goes.

A few weeks ago, I watched a jukebox musical film called "It's All Over Town" (1964). And it was awful. :drama: There were only 3 or 4 songs in it that were any good. :eek:

But, of the ones that were good, this is the one I just had to share:

Acker Bilk And His Paramount Jazz Band - "The Song Of The Volga Boatmen"

Apologies that it is a Facebook video, and that the quality isn't great. But, this was the only copy I could find. There are no copies of it on YouTube (which is why I wasn't able to post a link at the time I watched it).

I'll just add - Acker Bilk was great as a clarinet player, but he wasn't great at singing. So, it's a good job that this is an instrumental.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ronald Bell, the tenor saxophonist with Kool & The Gang, died on Wednesday at the age of 68.

He and brother Robert (the eponymous "Kool") founded the band in 1964.

Although they are probably most famous for their disco songs (e.g. "Celebration", "Fresh", "Jungle Boogie", "Ladies Night"), I have chosen as my tribute a song that is so far from disco that for many years it didn't register with me that it was actually the same band:

Kool & The Gang - "Cherish"

Absolutely beautiful song.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
English actress Diana Rigg died yesterday at the age of 82.

She was best known for playing Emma Peel in TV series "The Avengers". So, here is the iconic theme tune, accompanied by photos of her with Patrick McNee:

Laurie Johnson - "The Shake"

Diana was brought into the series as a replacement for Honor Blackman, who left to star in James Bond film "Goldfinger" (1964). The irony is that 5 years later Diana would also star in a Bond film, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" (1969). This is the role I knew her best for.

When Honor died a few months ago, I included the theme from her Bond film in my tribute. Now, I never need an excuse to listen to Louis Armstrong. So, here is the most famous song from Diana's film, accompanied by clips of her with George Lazenby:

Louis Armstrong - "We Have All the Time in the World"

I admit that I always get emotional when I think of the final scene of the film. Although the maker of this video did include that scene, thank goodness they edited it a bit.

My thoughts are with her family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
@CaroLiza_fan - she was an impressive lady and whenever I looked at her I thought "I want to age with such grace and dignity please" :D

What am I listening to right now?

A mix of Westworld & GoT soundtrack from Ramin Djawadi (what a coincidence!)

Light of the Seven
Still gives me the shivers thinking of this scene, together with this music.

Westworld - Sweetwater

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
With the Nebelhorn being on, I didn't get the chance to post in here that the founding guitarist with The Four Seasons, Tommy DeVito, died from COVID-19 on Monday at the age of 92.

Tommy started the band with his brother Nick (bass) and Henry Majewski (rhythm guitar). Frankie Valli joined later, in 1954. After using a few different names, the band came to prominence as The Four Lovers.

Of course, Frankie's voice is what the band is best known for. So, as my tribute to Tommy, I have picked an instrumental that they recorded:

The Four Lovers - "Night Train"

It would be remiss of me not to include a song from after they changed their name to "The Four Seasons". But, rather than posting one of their famous songs that we all know and love, I am instead going to post a lesser known song - the "B"-side of their debut single (I don't really like the "A"-side, "Bermuda"!):

The Four Seasons - "Spanish Lace"

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A few days ago, I watched an episode of "The Chase", and I suddenly felt really old.

I can't remember the exact wording, but one of the questions was basically this:

Which of these songs contains the lyrics "I'm Ant (I'm Declan), a duo, a twosome. So many lyrics, we're frightened to use 'em!"

1. "Let's Get It On"
  2. "Let's Get Ready To Rhumble"
  3. "Let's Get It Started"

Now, I admit that I didn't recognise the lyrics. Nevertheless, I thought "That's easy. It's (b.) For goodness sake, Ant and Dec introduce themselves!"

But, the guy playing didn't know! He went for "Let's Get It Started". 😲 And then it hit me – he's 19. He's too young to remember when Ant and Dec were "PJ" and "Duncan"! :drama:

That song has been stuck in my head ever since! So, for those of you that are too young to remember 1994, here you go:

PJ & Duncan - "Let's Get Ready To Rhumble"

But, it wasn’t until there now that the big whopper hit me – he would only have been 3 when "Let's Get It Started" by the Black Eyed Peas was released in 2004! :eek:

People shouldn’t be allowed to be that young!!!

CaroLiza_fan