What does your off ice schedule look like? | Golden Skate

What does your off ice schedule look like?

Jennirose_ice

Spectator
For background, I'm a 28yo skater and am an adult learner, been skating around 5 years (minus the covid rink closures!).

I do synchro mainly and now am trying to get all my single jumps down, aiming for my axel (before I turn 30??? 🤔).

Competition season is over and it's time for me to really get into my training. I work a full time job as well and am planning my wedding!

So for others with busy lives- what do you prioritise? How many hours off ice would you do? What kinds of exercises do you include?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I would recommend strength training for now, especially since you're older and your risk of injury. If you notice that your stamina is lagging, then add more cardio. You really only need to do it three times a week or so. Pilates and lifting are two of my favorite strength training methods, but do what you find fun. It's not really that important that your training be super specific to skating at this level.

I've seen so many people get injured with off ice jumps and though they provide benefit, I don't think it's enough to justify the injury risk, especially in skaters that are newer and are less adapted to handling the impact.

ETA: Running programs off ice and working through the details is great for maximizing what you can get done during ice time since program details (such as where you put your arms during transitions and getting step sequences embedded in your memory) do not require ice. The details make a huge difference in your PCS score if you plan to compete.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I am 49 and it's hard to balance everything but my off ice includes high intensity workouts (NIKE has a bunch online) and I also really like the Sofabar videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/Sofabar)--yoga as well as strengthening and core. Core is so important for adult skaters. In addition, I go for long walks with the dog and also do gymnastics (adult tumbling) once a week, which definitely helps with legs and power.

jayy

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Whenever you are training, especially during a focused time like this, remember to check in with yourself. Do what feels right for you and your body. I like doing small rotational jumps (1/4 turn and 1/2 turn) jumps, to help my rhythm for my knees and ankles. I also really like bodyweight exercises because they don't require equipment, and you can make them super fun. (Put on some catchy music in the background and do exercises to the beats) Warming up and cooling down properly is also important, as to help reduce your risk of injury. The more you enjoy your training, the more likely you are to want to train.
also congrats on the wedding!