What is your best jump? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What is your best jump?

singerskates

On the Ice
I like the 1 salchow. I can get it right out of a LBI Spiral and even do it as a combo. I also until I got injured a little over a year ago, could do a 2 salchow too even though my loop, flip and lutz were weak. Now I'm working on getting my jumps back (well, I'm off for summer but will resume on them in Sept.)

singerskates

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
The Loop is still my problem jump. If I do it in combination it's much more consistent but for some reason my brain and body will just not work together on a solo 2Loop. I can rotate all of the other doubles consistently....

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
So updates...

I've got all of my Triples off ice (minus the 3Axle) and my 3Toe, 3Flip, and 3Sal on the ice. The Lutz is really hard to turn into a Triple (I can do it as a Flutz pretty consistently, though, lol) but when I get top of the line blades I'm thinking it will be easier.

I have yet to fully rotate a 3Loop on the ice (and it's definitely my least consistent off ice). I just can't get the spring with that jump. It always feels like my free leg (and other certain, uh..."things") is in the way. I'd really like to go to Regionals (and maybe nationals?!?! omg) this year.

~Z

doubleaxel

Rinkside
Even though I am capable of an axel and 2toe loop off ice, on ice I can only do single salchow, toe loop, loop, flip, and a flutz. My favorite jump is the toe loop... it's the easiest and my my most elegant jump!

chinesechanfan

Rinkside
im really flexible hence im just not really consistent in my jumps. the most consistent is the axel and i get HUGE spring on it. then is the tie between the double sal and the double toe, then is the tie between the double loop and the double flip, then my hardest jump is my lutz and i rarely do my double axel primarily because i could get pass the lutz and also i couldn't get my edge right (my forward outside edge just wouldn't roll up to my toe pick).

im very curious of how someone can do triple sal, triple flip and triple lutz off ice?

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
im very curious of how someone can do triple sal, triple flip and triple lutz off ice?

I'll have to make a video. :)

Obviously it's not the same as when you're in skates and you have to use the edges (especially with the edge on that damn Lutz), but it can be mimicked well enough.

~Z

enlight78

Medalist
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I don't live anywher near a rink. I'll be happy if I could do even a single flip on or off the ice. Tumblings more of my thing.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I also find the Flip + Lutz to be easier than the Salchow and Loop. I get SO much strength and balance from using the toepick. Having to jump backwards off just one foot does something wonky to my balance and I can't land those two jumps as consistenly as a Pick-jump or Axle.

Is this weird???????[/QUOTE]

Same here. My axel isn't my best jump at all. The flip and lutz nare my best. the loop is pretty good to. anything where I don't have to transfer the wieght is pretty easy for me. :cool:

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I also find the Flip + Lutz to be easier than the Salchow and Loop. I get SO much strength and balance from using the toepick. Having to jump backwards off just one foot does something wonky to my balance and I can't land those two jumps as consistenly as a Pick-jump or Axle.

Is this weird???????

Same here. My axel isn't my best jump at all. The flip and lutz nare my best. the loop is pretty good to. anything where I don't have to transfer the wieght is pretty easy for me. :cool:

I've gotten much better on the Salchow; my body is understanding the mechanics of the jump way more than it used to.

Doing a GOOD Lutz is harder than I once thought. It's no wonder that most skaters have to flutz or at least flatz to hit the jump...it's very, very hard to turn it into a Triple while keeping that outside edge in position.

The Loop is still a pain too, unless I'm just doing a single. I need to stop being so cautious with it. Getting the edge and controlling my free leg when I go into the jump is another thing my body doesn't quite "get" yet, even though I KNOW what I need to be doing.

I'm happy with my progess, though, since I got into the sport seriously pretty late.

~Z

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I'm hit and miss when it comes to edge v toe jumps. I LOVED the Axel but the takeoff was a bit spooky and when learning my single then later, the double, I was always 1/2 to 1/4 turn short - just short enough that I couldn't eek it out and would fall on my right knee...It got so bad I had to have fluid drained...so the axel spooked me at times.

Lutz is the WORST! next is the loop depending on the take off. I learned them incorrectly at first and had to re-learn then late in my career. Here I was working on doubles and triples of other jumps and struggling to eek out a single loop. Great example of how poor technique can mess you up.

I like flips if you can believe it. I think overall, I prefered flips and sal.

evenstar

Final Flight
I don't have trouble with the double lutz at all. I can hit it 10/10 times. I don't like the double salchow AT ALL! I have to concentrate to make the take of less "swingy".

M

mylastduchess

I'm skipped learning the salchow and the loop, and went straight to the flip because edge jumps are my sworn enemy exepet the axel!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I LOVE edge jumps. The axel and the sal the most. The toe-loop is my worst nightmare, I've had so many bad falls on it it's ridiculous and it apparently needs a large neon sign above it to ibe identified.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hey, I found a trick on the 2Toe to be to think about it like a 2S. Seems to be working for me!! Try it