What rule changes would you like to see next season? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

What rule changes would you like to see next season?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Choreo sequences are only pointless if done poorly
The same can be said of spiral sequences. For the record, I don't really care if spiral sequences are included. I was just throwing out a possible way to get spirals back into programs.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
1. Allow any jumps anywhere for seniors.
2. GOE back to +/- 3 from 5.
3. Prepare CoP BVs for quints.
4. Allow skates with passive mechanics, like in the speed skating.
5. Fall on the back = 0 points.
does anyone want to actually see Trusova go for 12 quad lutzes? We need Zayak rule and we need backloading limit. Although with the way the current backloading rules are set up the programs become rather boring. I would prefer they tried out "only combos get backloading credit" now that would be interesting

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
does anyone want to actually see Trusova go for 12 quad lutzes? We need Zayak rule and we need backloading limit. Although with the way the current backloading rules are set up the programs become rather boring. I would prefer they tried out "only combos get backloading credit" now that would be interesting
I don’t think it’s about nixing Zayak rule, I think it’s about allowing 3A and quads in short programs for junior and senior women.

To be honest, in juniors, I would love to see only one required jump in the short program, to divest from axel being the solitary universal test of skill. Any single jump can be required on any given year, and it can be double, triple or quad.

Not that I would mind seeing Trusova jump 12 lutzes. I don’t mind seeing Trusova jump anything she wants. I just love seeing her jumps when she is in good health. It is amazeballs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
choreo seq can mean a spiral seq... if you've got it, and if it works with the music, it's possible... i don't see why we would go backwards and force everyone doing spirals again... i do not want to see bad ones.. only good ones.. and some other skaters can use the choreo seq to do an hydroblade or a spread eagle or even some characteristics steps... for me the biggest issue is the step sequence being a series intricate turns nowadays... that could still be done in the SP but in the LP it should be more varied and freer...

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
I don’t think it’s about nixing Zayak rule, I think it’s about allowing 3A and quads in short programs for junior and senior women.

To be honest, in juniors, I would love to see only one required jump in the short program, to divest from axel being the solitary universal test of skill. Any single jump can be required on any given year, and it can be double, triple or quad.

Not that I would mind seeing Trusova jump 12 lutzes. I don’t mind seeing Trusova jump anything she wants. I just love seeing her jumps when she is in good health. It is amazeballs.
i like her jumps too but tbh she would land 6 of them at best. it would be a terrible program.

However I would love that jump competition from Channel One Trophy to become some kind of formal event. now that woud be fun

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Allow repetition of 2 different quads instead of just 1 quad 1 triple. Those with better quad technique than 3A are unfairly penalised by the rule, when 3A is almost same as quad.

That being said, right now you're allowed to jump 3 quad salchows in the program if you disguise the takeoff well enough.

Raskolnikov

Rinkside
Country
Russia
I hope one day ISU removes PCS entirely. The only important part is skating skills but that can be evaluated through some tech device and/or program like ice scope. Transitions are already linked to GOE. The rest of PCS is pure bogus and In my opinion it has no business in sport.
GOE and tech calls should be done the same way. Even if the system wouldn't be perfect at the beginning, it would be the exact same for everyone.

I'd rather take less exciting programs with objectively fair judging over political and reputation-based circus.
Never-ending discussions about artistry and other subjective stuff with "i feel nothing" arguments don't belong to sport.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
I hope one day ISU removes PCS entirely. The only important part is skating skills but that can be evaluated through some tech device and/or program like ice scope. Transitions are already linked to GOE. The rest of PCS is pure bogus and In my opinion it has no business in sport.
GOE and tech calls should be done the same way. Even if the system wouldn't be perfect at the beginning, it would be the exact same for everyone.

I'd rather take less exciting programs with objectively fair judging over political and reputation-based circus.
Never-ending discussions about artistry and other subjective stuff with "i feel nothing" arguments don't belong to sport.
I would rather they only score TES as you said and then have to make deductions for PCS. Like they can deduct between 0-20 points or something, and there are defined deductions such as “labored crossovers” “poor extension” “skating through music.” It would make the judges have to be more accountable and actually think before assigning PCS

cto888

Rinkside
Country
Spain
1. Allow any jumps anywhere for seniors.
2. GOE back to +/- 3 from 5.
3. Prepare CoP BVs for quints.
4. Allow skates with passive mechanics, like in the speed skating.
5. Fall on the back = 0 points.
what does "passive mechanics" mean?

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Allow 4T and 4Lo as the second jump in combination in the SP. Since 3T+3T is a valid combination, 4T+4T should be too. It would be great to see a short program containing e.g. 4S+4T, 4Lz and 3A (or 4A).

Jadeice

Rinkside
That being said, right now you're allowed to jump 3 quad salchows in the program if you disguise the takeoff well enough.
I'd rather say right now you're allowed to jump 3 Flips/Lutzes in the program if you disguise the takeoff enough (or have the rep to not get penalised for it).

In fact, I have always felt that if a skater doesn't get the edge right and technically jumps a Flip/Lutz for the third time, that jump should get dinged with the repetition rule.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I'd rather say right now you're allowed to jump 3 Flips/Lutzes in the program if you disguise the takeoff enough (or have the rep to not get penalised for it).

In fact, I have always felt that if a skater doesn't get the edge right and technically jumps a Flip/Lutz for the third time, that jump should get dinged with the repetition rule.
Maybe they should consider that/harsher edge penalties to encourage teaching better edges on jumps

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
1. Get rid of the time deduction in what I call "culminating events" such as GPFs, Worlds, and Olympics. Come to think of it, get rid of it altogether. It's bogus. You've got someone winning a GPF because another skater got a 1 point time deduction. Another event, people were threatening to "protest" because a skater got a time deduction since the audience was screaming too long, and even more absurd was someone screaming it was justified because of 9 whole seconds of delay. Give me a break— 9 measly seconds? Man, the time deduction Gestapo would have flipped out on a short program that ran 26 seconds over the allotment. Yeah, you read that right. But it was hilarious:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I am too lazy to read every posts and have not done it before, so I don't know if someone already suggested this. I would keep the scoring system as it is, but go backwards when winning the FS was worth of one point and winning the SP was worth of 0,5 points. I take Finns nationals as an example

Jenni Saarinen, SP 0,5, FS 4,0=4,5
Linnea Ceder SP 1,0, FS 1,0 =2,0
Emmi Peltonen SP 1,5, FS 3,0 = 4,5
Oona Ounasvuori SP 2,0, FS=2,0 n= 4,0

And now we share the medals again= 1 Linnea, 2 Oona 3 Emmi 4 Jenni (Now it was Jenn first, Linnea 2nd, Emmi 3rd)
This is because it is weird to win with 2 falls and a mistake in a spin. Nothing against Jenni or any of the skaters, but
They even did not show Oona on TV highlights, though she was 2nd at free - Emmi wins Jenni because of better FS, was it so that in tie situation the FS solved?

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Allow 4T and 4Lo as the second jump in combination in the SP. Since 3T+3T is a valid combination, 4T+4T should be too. It would be great to see a short program containing e.g. 4S+4T, 4Lz and 3A (or 4A).
Yes. I would love that.

1) Make the triple loop combo’s have a higher base value
2) Allow for 4T’s and 4Lo’s as second jumps in combinations and for those jumps to be repeated as second solo jumps without REP. Because if someone can jump those jumps, it is safer to just go for solo T’s and Lo’s instead. I want to see more interesting jump combinations.
3) Increase the base value of 4A, in case someone like Hanyu finally lands this jump. Also, to have base values for quintuple jumps. I have a weird feeling someone like Yuma will land a 5T, before we see a 4A.
4) Increase PCS score to 100 for the ladies
5) I want to see less of a correlation between high technical score and PCS. They should be independent to one another
6) Higher BV score for Step Sequence and even the choreo element
7) Finally, for Pairs, I want them to increase the base value of quads. I think we are regressing Pairs difficulty and Pairs needs to be like the single events
8) Harsher penalties for wrong edges in the Flip and Lutz. Skaters that land proper 3Lz should be rewarded.

Those are the changes I’d love to see happen. Also, I’d like them to keep the no quads rules in the SP for ladies to have the ladies continue with development and priority of the 3A. This is a jump I want to see more ladies master first. There are hundreds of ladies right now that jump 2A with no effort and I’d like to see them push more for a element that has become the standard in Men’s skating.

Last edited:

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Yes. I would love that.

1) Make the triple loop combo’s have a higher base value
2) Allow for 4T’s and 4Lo’s as second jumps in combinations and for those jumps to be repeated as second solo jumps without REP. Because if someone can jump those jumps, it is safer to just go for solo T’s and Lo’s instead. I want to see more interesting jump combinations.
3) Increase the base value of 4A, in case someone like Hanyu finally lands this jump. Also, to have base values for quintuple jumps. I have a weird feeling someone like Yuma will land a 5T, before we see a 4A.
4) Increase PCS score to 100 for the ladies
5) I want to see less of a correlation between high technical score and PCS. They should be independent to one another
6) Higher BV score for Step Sequence and even the choreo element
7) Finally, for Pairs, I want them to increase the base value of quads. I think we are regressing Pairs difficulty and Pairs needs to be like the single events
8) Harsher penalties for wrong edges in the Flip and Lutz. Skaters that land proper 3Lz should be rewarded.

Those are the changes I’d love to see happen. Also, I’d like them to keep the no quads rules in the SP for ladies to have the ladies continue with development and priority of the 3A. This is a jump I want to see more ladies master first. There are hundreds of ladies right now that jump 2A with no effort and I’d like to see them push more for a element that has become the standard in Men’s skating.

I mostly agree with you, there are only two things I disagree with:

1. Even though I prefer skaters focusing on getting 3A before going for quads, I still think it's not right to forbid ladies from doing quads in the short.

2. I think the penalties for wrong edges are harsh enough. The real problem is wrong edges not getting called.

Amei

Record Breaker
I mostly agree with you, there are only two things I disagree with:

1. Even though I prefer skaters focusing on getting 3A before going for quads, I still think it's not right to forbid ladies from doing quads in the short.

2. I think the penalties for wrong edges are harsh enough. The real problem is wrong edges not getting called.

I would be fine with harsh (even harsher than what exists currently) edge calls as long as there was some type of technology that could be put on a skater's boot to measure the depth of edge where IMO there would be no wiggle room for subjectivity of available camera angle to the Tech panel and where a skater places the jump on the rink. I don't fault a skater for placing a jump in the most advantageous spot, they are just playing the rules as smart as possible, which they should, but I would love for there to be technology that would eliminate the subjectivity of the angle.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Not a rule but i would like ISU to announce rules changes one year, but start to use them 2 seasons later. So skaters will have the time to try to correct their flaws. Announcing a major change in april and starting to apply it in july is kinda unfair. The game changes overnight.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Now that a thread has appeared reminding us that the ISU Congress for the new quad cycle is upon us, I thought it would be a good time to revive this thread by posting something that I actually wrote the bulk of back in November, but never finished… :slink:

(I copied the post into the bottom of one of my files of predictions so as not to lose it, but I couldn’t remember which competition’s file it was in! And I only found it again over the weekend, after opening and closing a lot of files. :drama: For the record, it was in the Gran Premio d’Italia file).

I don’t understand all the technical things about the sport, so this will focus on other things.

1. First and foremost, reverse the decision to allow vocals. It was better when it was just instrumental music. Vocals are too distracting, and spoil the enjoyment of the skating.

2. Reverse the changes that were made to Ice Dance after the 2010 Olympics. In other words, bring back the Compulsory Dance and Original Dance as separate segments. 10 years ago, I wouldn’t believe I would be saying that now. However, about 3 seasons ago I started watching Novice level Ice Dance, and the Pattern Dance segments that they do have really opened my eyes. I hated the old Compulsory Dances because you were hearing the same music and seeing the same steps over and over again. It was so boring! And I was delighted when they were scrapped. But watching the Novices, although they are still doing the same steps, there is much more variety in the music that they are doing them to. And I am not getting bored watching it. In fact, I am enjoying it! So if the Compulsory Dance was brought back and the choreographers made an effort to be imaginative and use different pieces of music, then I could see it being a very good thing. Being able to do direct comparisons between partnerships again would be very useful.

3. Reverse the changes that were made to the Men’s FS and Pairs FS after the 2018 Olympics. I can understand wanting equality between the categories at each level, but a better way to do it would have been to bring the Senior Ladies FS and Senior Free Dance up to 4m 30s, and the Junior Ladies FS and Junior Free Dance up to 4m 00s. It was a big mistake to decrease the length of the Men’s FS without decreasing the technical requirements, and to decrease the length of the Pairs FS with a decrease to the choreographic requirements. It has made the programmes more rushed and frantic.

4. Continuing the spirit of equality, instead of them doing shorter Warm-Ups, have the Ice Dancers do 6m Warm-Ups like the skaters in the rest of the categories.

5. Have ALL of the four main categories included by default at ALL the Junior Grands Prix and at Senior level at ALL the Challenger events. If it turns out that a category does not meet the minimum requirements, the default option should be to downgrade it. Categories should only get removed as a last resort.

6. Have the timetables so that all the Short Programme segments within a level finish before the first of the Free Skate segments of that level starts. It can get a bit hard to follow where you are in the event otherwise.

7. And have it so that the segments are held in the same order for the Short Programme and for the Free Skate. That way the skaters across all the categories have the same amount of time to prepare. (It doesn’t happen too often, thank goodness, but I hate it when a category is the last out one day and then first out the following day. It’s so unfair on those skaters).

8. Have segments organised into groups of 4, as a safety measure to minimise the chance of collisions in Warm-Ups. (At the Tayside Trophy this week, most groups had 8 skaters in them! 😲 It is scary to watch the Warm-Ups with that many people on the ice! :eek: )

9. And, consequently, have resurfacings after every 8 skaters / partnerships. (Staying with the Tayside Trophy, and the resurfacings are very irregular. Sometimes, they are between segments. But other times, a few segments are run back-to-back. On the afternoon of Day 1, we had 38 skaters going between one resurfacing and the next! :eek: On the evening of Day 2, we have 24 skaters going after the last resurfacing. On the morning of Day 3, we will have 48 skaters going before the first resurfacing! :eek: That is not right).

10. Tied in with this, have 16 slots in every category at the Senior GP’s. So, 4 groups of 4, with a resurfacing after the second group.

11. Have 8 slots in every category at the GP Final. So, 2 groups of 4. And have the corresponding Junior and Senior competitions held back-to-back with the same judges. So, essentially, what we would end up with is the same as I have just proposed for the Senior GP’s, except that the first 2 groups in the segment are Juniors, and the second 2 groups in the segment are Seniors.

12. Have the timetables so that all the competition segments at the ISU-run events are finished by the end of Saturday. That way, the whole of Sunday morning can be spent rehearsing for the Gala and properly preparing a spectacular Finale (let’s face it, at events where there are competition segments on the Sunday morning, the Finales tend to be pathetic). If this means that the competitive action at the Senior GP’s has to start on the Thursday rather than the Friday, then so be it.

13. Have 8 Senior GP’s, with 2 in each of the main figure skating regions (Americas; Western Europe; Eastern Europe; Asia / Pacific).

14. Also have 8 Junior GP’s, but don’t have them tied to following the same region requirements that I am proposing for the Senior GP’s. This will allow flexibility to have events in less-represented regions like Africa; or South America; or the Southern Hemisphere in general!

15. Finally, the big one. Increase the minimum age for all the Senior categories to 16 across the board, and decrease the maximum age for all the Junior categories to 18 across the board. I’ve already explained my reasoning for these ages many times over the past few years, so there is no need to go over old ground again in this thread. Suffice to say, those ages work for other things, so why not for figure skating?

Well, those are my ideas for rule changes. Whether the ISU or anybody else likes them is another matter!

CaroLiza_fan