What will 2010-11 bring for Caroline Zhang? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

What will 2010-11 bring for Caroline Zhang?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Why "downgrades"? Tammy Gambill is a very well-respected coach and I believe Caroline and her skating could benefit from working with/learning from her.

Right. A coach does not need to be world famous in order to make a positve diffrence in a skater's development.

frauregina

Rinkside
Welcome to the board Frauregina. If you are from the Philippines, you might also be a fan of Clarice Pempengco. Did you see the Skate for the Heart show last year where Caroline skated to Clarice singing "In This Song"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-IY21FfBF8

The audience went crazy over Caroline's regression. :biggrin:

Hahaha. I saw that! I am not a fan of Charice but I did watch her since her "junior days" (yes people, she used to compete at the junior level too before she was discovered on YouTube)

I am surprised that none of the major TV networks in here mentioned Skate for the Heart last year! I mean, Charice plus the top skaters (and Sasha Cohen's in it!) must mean major media madness here in our country. But alas, no. Not a single news piece. I thought that the TV networks in here are die-hard Charice followers. Charice is even singing national anthem in our new president's inauguration.

Nigel

On the Ice
I think we do know that she was in Colorado for choreography. Just not sure who, but for some reason Tom Dickson (who did Spanish Gypsy) comes to mind. Is he in Colorado?

Zhang used Dickson for choreo in Colorado. Also worked with Kathy Casey on jump technique.

frauregina

Rinkside
Zhang used Dickson for choreo in Colorado. Also worked with Kathy Casey on jump technique.

I looked up Casey online and she seems ok for Caroline (and she's a real jump coach). Hope that we'll see great results from her.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

oh, did you see her there? Do you know what music she is skating to? Did Dickson do both programs?

If I recall correctly, Kathy Casey coached Scott Davis, who was a national champion. She also coached Nicole Bobek, but so did everyone else in the known world. Bobek was famous for flitting from coach to coach for awhile. And I just looked her up to confirm that she also coached Rosalyn Sumners, who was a world champion and an Olympic silver medalist. So she's got a certain amount of substance and is very well thought of in the skating world.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I am hoping Miss Casey can help Caroline's jumps. There is an old theory that well executed jumps have a psychological effect on judges, making all other elements look prettier. This should not be the case, but I think it is.

mskater93

Record Breaker
If I recall correctly, Kathy Casey coached Scott Davis, who was a national champion. She also coached Nicole Bobek, but so did everyone else in the known world. Bobek was famous for flitting from coach to coach for awhile. And I just looked her up to confirm that she also coached Rosalyn Sumners, who was a world champion and an Olympic silver medalist. So she's got a certain amount of substance and is very well thought of in the skating world.

Kathy Casey also coached AP McDonough and worked with a few others. She used to hold Tom Z's position at Broadmoor (ie, the coach everyone wanted to work with) and she has done seminars as well (and I know a few adults who attribute Axels to those seminars)

I am hoping Miss Casey can help Caroline's jumps. There is an old theory that well executed jumps have a psychological effect on judges, making all other elements look prettier. This should not be the case, but I think it is.

I hope you're right, PolymerBob, especially considering that many of Caroline's other elements look prettier already (spins and spirals), and what she needs most (besides speed) is exactly that--well-executed jumps.

Give it all you've got, Ms. Casey!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
What happened to Mingzhu Li--has Caroline been spotted working with her in the last 2-3 months? Where is Mama Zhang in all this? Any sightings?

frauregina

Rinkside
I don't know where to post this, so I'll just post it here.

I've just re-opened my Caroline Zhang fansite, and you can visit it at http://www.cz-online.org. Lots of work still needs to be done but I'll try to finish it this week. Please do visit!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
There is an unconfirmed report over at FSUniverse that Caroline has a new coach. We should know something definite by Champs' Camp.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Well it will be interesting to see how the new pairing goes. Hopefully her new coach can work with her on speed, her double axle entrance and her mule kick.

I'm a huge fan of Caroline's and I hope this change will lead to a stellar year for her :)

frauregina

Rinkside
Thank God. Finally, coaching change for Caroline. I really hope that she'll bounce back after a dismal season.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Because I don't have an actual news/press release source link, I posted at FSU: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2815057&postcount=458

Link to an "unofficial" update on Coach Mingzhu Li's plans:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2815727&postcount=471

This doesn't surprise me a bit, what does surprise me it that it took the Chinese Federation this long. They need someone to revive their lackluster Women's elite skating program and she's the obvious pick. I assume they finally offered her money and terms she felt she could live with.

It's actually the best thing that could have happened to Caroline, as it will give her the final kick in the pants she (and Mama) need to move on and hopefully improve. And she can't go running back to Li Mingzhu if the going gets a bit rough.

feraina

Record Breaker
I think this is a great outcome for everyone involved. It was so disheartening that Caroline went back to Ms. Li last summer, because it was so obvious that Ms. Li couldn't help her improve on her key weaknesses at all. I think Caroline will definitely benefit with a new coach, even sticking with Charlene Wong would've been better. She did nothing but regressing last year, it's hard imagine that she could've done worse with Wong. It's also good for Chinese figure skating to have Ms. Li back. And for Ms. Li personally, probably she still has family over there and would prefer to live there if she does not have to scale down substantially economically. Mainly, I'm just so relieved that Caroline won't be going back to Ms. Li again any time soon.

feraina

Record Breaker
It looks like Caroline posted another blog late last month.

Thanks very much for the link! I am really happy to hear that she's finally doing some pilates and off-ice training classes. I mean, she should've started them from a young age, since she obviously lacks core strength! But better later than never, right? It should definitely help her skating.