What would top ten order of finish be for men: a)all with quads, b)all with jumps now | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What would top ten order of finish be for men: a)all with quads, b)all with jumps now

brad640

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Brad - What exactly are the numerous injuries? I would say half the population of the USA has had hernia problems that they took care of at the hospital and then moved on. It's not a big thing once it is taken care of.

Read Vitacus's post for a description of Plushenko's numerous injuries.

Joesitz said:
If it's his knee(s)? He has skated excellently with these problems for the past 3 years and won gold medals. Yes, he should have had the surgery but Mishin knows best. I am presuming that he will continue through the Olys without surgery and more than likely get gold. The knees are just not in that bad a condition (yet).

I do not think Mishin knows best, because he has a bad history of pushing his athletes too far and ignoring the warning signs until it is too late. In Urmanov’s case, everyone speculated that his groin injury was not that serious and that he would return to skating, but in fact that was the end of his eligible career. If Plushenko did not want to compete in the GPF, Mishin should have politicked to the RF to take the pressure off his skater, but instead he allowed him to compete.

Mishin deals with injuries by letting his skaters compete in every possible event until it becomes physically impossible. As with Urmanov, Plushenko is not getting the best treatment for his injuries, but only the minimal treatment with supposedly fast recovery time. You can read about his choice of treatment on his website. Without surgery and a complete recovery, at best Plushenko’s health will be a question mark all season, and at worst, with Mishin’s lack of caution, he is at risk of being carried off the ice like Takeshi Honda.

Last edited:
Thanks Brad for the website.

It seems to me whatever that procedure to remove the hernia was done and now it is a matter of rest until mid-May. OK. Apparently it has also been very successful for soccer players. If the soccer players can get back to the game, I think Evgeni can also. Let's hope he gets right back to where he was.

But there was nothing about the knee(s) which I believe are a major problem for any skater or anyone in other sports.

There was nothing in the article that made a monster out of Mishin. Of course, someone else could be writing Evgeni's news items

Joe.

soogar

Record Breaker
Soccer players don't have the range of movement that figure skaters do...

I was under the impression that Yevgeny underwent surgery for his hernia... not acupuncture.

In Yevgeny's case, this is probably the best method for him. He has procrastinated on taking care of his body and he really can't afford to have a major treatment this year.

Most athletes don't want to have surgery anyway. One of the reasons Ilia Klimkin lost this whole season was because he was trying every other method of healing his injury to prevent surgery. Thank goodness he got it this year and is all better.

Vitacus

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
But there was nothing about the knee(s) which I believe are a major problem for any skater or anyone in other sports.

That's because he already stated in interviews that he won't have the knee surgery (before the Olympics) he needs for this type of torn meniscus problem.

He's been living with this knee injury for 2 ½ years and in an interview he said there are good and bad knee days. He also said that the practice of quad jumps is entriely depending on the state of his knees. When better he practices the quad salcow, or even quad lutz (he tried it in a competition once), and then the knees starts bothering him again with pain after a couple of days and so he stops practicing them. So he can never practice his quads consitently. He also said he takes pills, pain-killers and rests when the pain troubles him, but he also said there are periods when he's more or less pain free (as mentioned above).

soogr said:
Soccer players don't have the range of movement that figure skaters do... I was under the impression that Yevgeny underwent surgery for his hernia... not acupuncture. In Yevgeny's case, this is probably the best method for him. He has procrastinated on taking care of his body and he really can't afford to have a major treatment this year. Most athletes don't want to have surgery anyway. One of the reasons Ilia Klimkin lost this whole season was because he was trying every other method of healing his injury to prevent surgery. Thank goodness he got it this year and is all better.

I agree....soccer players doesn't use their body the same way figure skaters do, thus not putting the same amount of strain on the groin area in particular. Yes, Plush underwent surgery for the hernias and apparently they used mesh to stablize the abdominal wall (they call it iguinal ring area) to prevent further tear at those locations but that doesn't mean he's safe from tears in other areas of the ring (information from articles and official site). I guess it all depends on how well the surgery went and how well the rehabilitation period goes (he is suppose to start the light training in beginning of May which is now), so I guess we have to wait and see what kind of shape he's in. It'll be tough for him considering he's lost almost 2 months of on-off ice practicing when other's haven't, plus it'll take some time before he can practice hard like before (probably not until July/August at least). So you see, it all depends on if he's able to get back in shape in time for the Olympics and I would imagine GP events are out. Then again, he need to show the judges and audience his new programs (or would he risk going to the Olympics with untested programs?), so it's a bit of dilemma.

Vitacus said:
That's because he already stated in interviews that he won't have the knee surgery (before the Olympics) he needs for this type of torn meniscus problem.

He's been living with this knee injury for 2 ½ years and in an interview he said there are good and bad knee days. He also said that the practice of quad jumps is entriely depending on the state of his knees. When better he practices the quad salcow, or even quad lutz (he tried it in a competition once), and then the knees starts bothering him again with pain after a couple of days and so he stops practicing them. So he can never practice his quads consitently. He also said he takes pills, pain-killers and rests when the pain troubles him, but he also said there are periods when he's more or less pain free (as mentioned above).

I agree....soccer players doesn't use their body the same way figure skaters do, thus not putting the same amount of strain on the groin area in particular. Yes, Plush underwent surgery for the hernias and apparently they used mesh to stablize the abdominal wall (they call it iguinal ring area) to prevent further tear at those locations but that doesn't mean he's safe from tears in other areas of the ring (information from articles and official site). I guess it all depends on how well the surgery went and how well the rehabilitation period goes (he is suppose to start the light training in beginning of May which is now), so I guess we have to wait and see what kind of shape he's in. It'll be tough for him considering he's lost almost 2 months of on-off ice practicing when other's haven't, plus it'll take some time before he can practice hard like before (probably not until July/August at least). So you see, it all depends on if he's able to get back in shape in time for the Olympics and I would imagine GP events are out. Then again, he need to show the judges and audience his new programs (or would he risk going to the Olympics with untested programs?), so it's a bit of dilemma.
I understand his position on the surgery. I lived with a torn medial meniscus for many years and there was no arthroscopic surgery at the time. It meant when the time came that one can no longer move without excrutiating pain then it was cartilege removal time. Few dancers who had this surgery at that early time, including me, could get back into dancing and those that did could not dance as well as they had. I know a number of people who have had athroscopic surgery and most of them are back in the swing of things albeit somewhat less than before the surgery. (Unfortunately, not all surgeries are successful. Surgeons are not perfect.) I definitely commiserate with Evgeni and hope he is able to continue skating for many many years.

Unless you've played the sport of hockey, I really don't think you can compare injuries to figure skating, and for that matter other sports. If you visit a rehab center in a large metropolitan center, you will find young men and ladies working very hard to get back to where they were before their sports' injuries occured.
I, for one, do not take pride in falsely believing that figure skating has the most injuries in all of sports. That is kind of sick thinking to me. JMO.

Joe

Vitacus

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Unless you've played the sport of hockey, I really don't think you can compare injuries to figure skating, and for that matter other sports. If you visit a rehab center in a large metropolitan center, you will find young men and ladies working very hard to get back to where they were before their sports' injuries occured. I, for one, do not take pride in falsely believing that figure skating has the most injuries in all of sports. That is kind of sick thinking to me. JMO.

Yes, I totally agree with you that figure skating doesn't have the most injuries in all of sports. Hockey is a very dangerous sport and not to forget soccer (lots of permanently damage knees).

Vitacus said:
Yes, I totally agree with you that figure skating doesn't have the most injuries in all of sports. Hockey is a very dangerous sport and not to forget soccer (lots of permanently damage knees).
And in soccer imagine getting a fast ball right into crotch. Hernia's too. :frown:

Joe