Why are the US Ladies not retiring? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Why are the US Ladies not retiring?

narcissa

Record Breaker
It may be a little bit offtopic and not relevant to others but I’ve been thinking. None of the ladies from the 2016 US Nationals podium (not counting Mirai’s pewter) made it to the 2018 Olympics. And Nor did 5 out of the the top 7 from 2016 Worlds. It’s just proof the sport is moving faster than ever.

None of the 3 from Sochi made it to Pyeongchang, which was surprising since during the last quad it almost seemed like there were no other skaters other than those 3. And also a bit sad since both Gracie and Polina were so young and 2018 was supposed to be "their" year and then....

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
It depends on how new a newbie skater is. Most skaters who are capable of surpassing veterans have a body of work from the junior level or at smaller competitions. These can still constitute a body of work. Polina Edmunds had a decent body of work at the junior level in 2014, and USFS went with her over Mirai. Bradie's body of work from last summer at smaller competitions earned her the Skate America spot and she went from there. Prior to last summer, her body of consisted mostly of pretty lackluster results at the junior level internationally.

More veteran skaters have more substantial of a body of work, and sometimes that can be used against them. Ashley's GP outings in 2017-2018 didn't do her any favors.

I think current trends should be more important than body of work.
Besides, in the case of juniors, what you did two years ago is already ancient history, the body changes so much during puberty.

s1alker

Rinkside
It's not uncommon now for athletes to compete at an older age, some of it due to to advancements in sports medicine. I follow pro cycling, and you have riders competing at top level in their 40s.

Amei

Record Breaker
It's not uncommon now for athletes to compete at an older age, some of it due to to advancements in sports medicine. I follow pro cycling, and you have riders competing at top level in their 40s.

I don't follow pro-cycling like I do figure skating, but from what I hear about pro-cycling it's a lot of doping so I don't know how much we should put stock in athletes competing longer in that sport.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It may be a little bit offtopic and not relevant to others but I’ve been thinking. None of the ladies from the 2016 US Nationals podium (not counting Mirai’s pewter) made it to the 2018 Olympics. And Nor did 5 out of the the top 7 from 2016 Worlds. It’s just proof the sport is moving faster than ever.

But it’s undeniable that people aren’t stopping competing! so the fact that things are so open people’s career expectations aren’t being fulfilled so they must stay in longer! They can’t be like medalist three years and go to Olympics and be fulfilled! They must stay in a decade! Because it can be medal medal no medal no Olympics then medal no medal medal medal Olympics!

princessalica

Final Flight
Polina not competing was I think a freak thing with her foot. Gracie came very close to becoming World Champion in 2016. She just couldn't deal with the weight of not landing her jumps and missing the podium because it was so close, not because of evolution of the sport. I believe that Gracie and Polina barring these circumstances would have likely been at the 2018 Olympics. Maybe with Ashley you can make the argument that the sport evolved past her technically, just as the tech side was what eliminated Alissa Czisny before the rise of Gracie. Ashley and Alissa both very lovely skaters with a more artistic side. (And those gorgeous spins from Alissa). Our skaters will retire when the time is right for them (And I think it will happen sooner rather than later for Ashley and Mirai, but this is Gracie's chance to come back. And I really think that this will be it. Either she will come back beautifully and amaze us all or she's done. She used her one shot at being a comeback skater. So I think we will see her rise to the occasion.

ssffww

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan has never announced an official retirement, but let's focus on Mirai, Gracie, and Ashley, all of whom have left the door open many times. All these brilliant younger skaters whose slots they're taking up (according to the premise of this thread) is go through that door and beat them. I'm waiting. Still waiting. Polina broke through, but then got injured and more interested in sorority life. Karen Chen broke through, but then look what happened. BOOT PROBLEMS GALORE. It's too early to see if Bradie has actually turned a corner or will go back to injuries and inconsistency. I hope she keeps progressing. I saw her live at Skate America and appreciated her for the first time. She does not come across on camera the way she does live.

Bottom line, who cares if they officially retire or not. They're not holding anyone back. The U.S. junior ladies need to step up and claim their spots if they're so much better.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ok... I’ll bite

Four years ago, people were clammering for both Ashley and Mirai to retire. At the time it looked like we had so many talented upcoming skaters. Polina, Amber Glenn, Angela, Karen Chen, Tyler, and Gracie just to name a few. Mirai was considered finished and Ashley was considered inferior to Gracie. But they both stuck with it and fought hard to achieve more success.

The process of retiring is difficult for any athlete. Sasha, Michelle, Rachel, and other skaters have described how overwhelming it feels when you finally realize it’s over. It’s hard to go from spending all your days at the rink training, at the gym, and competing all year to doing nothing. It’s why so many skaters eventually come back to give it another try. For instance, Patrick, Mao, and Tessa and Scott came back. And Carolina chose to return and compete as well. Sometimes you have success and sometimes you just need it to see that it’s time to leave.

I disagree that they are taking up spots. In order to have strong competitors in an sport, they need to compete to be the best. Having a weak nationals when skaters win by default in a weak field will always lead to weak competitors. I’d rather have a competition like Russian Juniors where even the 12th place finisher could win on any day. Because it pushes all the competitors to always be at their best. If new he skaters can’t defeat Ashley or Mirai, it’s because they need to work harder and be better. They need to earn that spot.

What you are advising is what was done during the 2007-2011 period. A different national champion every year who couldn’t handle the pressure on the world stage. USFS then switched their attention to the next phenom that rose, and they fizzled just as fast as the next. I think it should be transitional. With younger skaters beating the former champs consistently, proving they are ready to take the mantle.

So I’m all for letting Gracie, Mirai, and Ashley compete longer. They’re not hurting anyone by doing so.

:clap: