Will Sasha finally win nationals? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Will Sasha finally win nationals?

registered

On the Ice
IMHO Sasha stands an excellent chance of winning Nationals, if she'd only to stop creating situations full of turmoil, entering this competition. I understand that no one can control unfortunate injuries and illnesses, but it seems like sudden breakups with coaches, and changes of locations contributed heavily to Sasha's failures to win in the past 2 years. Hopefully she'll sort out her coaching/ice problems during the off season, and manage to stay healthy, so nothing keeps her off target for US Nationals to come.

soogar

Record Breaker
registered said:
IMHO Sasha stands an excellent chance of winning Nationals, if she'd only to stop creating situations full of turmoil, entering this competition. I understand that no one can control unfortunate injuries and illnesses, but it seems like sudden breakups with coaches, and changes of locations contributed heavily to Sasha's failures to win in the past 2 years. Hopefully she'll sort out her coaching/ice problems during the off season, and manage to stay healthy, so nothing keeps her off target for US Nationals to come.

I always wonder if Sasha creates this turmoil so that way she has an excuse for not winning Nats. Sort of like being self destructive. Perhaps she's afraid that if everything were perfect and she didn't win, then she might not be as good a skater as everyone thought.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I was just saying that it is more friendly to assume something good about a person (that he or she is a Sasha fan) than something bad (that he or she is a big meanie).

Well, to some they both mean the same thing. Unfortunate, but true.

I always wonder if Sasha creates this turmoil so that way she has an excuse for not winning Nats. Sort of like being self destructive. Perhaps she's afraid that if everything were perfect and she didn't win, then she might not be as good a skater as everyone thought.

Of course, anything is possible, but it just doesn't make logical sense to create turmoil or drama for yourself (intentionally) before a big competition. I mean, that's like shooting yourself in the foot here, and we all know how badly she wants to win. If anything you want to be prepared mentally. All the drama can only distract you from your goal. I've noticed that after her so-so 2004 and 2005 Nationals appearances she goes on to do better at the World comps. So I think all she needs is a break. And if what I hear is true, one's not coming any time soon. Look for her to splat again.

However, at least she's not afraid to say she wants to win unlike a certain few skaters (who will go unnamed) who give the same comment "I want to skate my best and have fun." (yeah, riiight...) I just think the timing of both breakups was coincidental.

Re. Cohen. I don't think she has any chance of winning nationals. I really don't. MK shows up, she wins. Simple.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
However, at least she's not afraid to say she wants to win unlike a certain few skaters (who will go unnamed) who give the same comment "I want to skate my best and have fun."

Seriously, when was the last time we even heard something like this? There are probably certain skaters at Worlds who have no hopes of making the top 5 that probably compete at Worlds just for the experience and the fun of it.

registered

On the Ice
soogar said:

To put herself through painful breakups and costly moves, and actually jeopardize chances of winning, all in order to have "an excuse," in case she won't succeed? Wouldn't such upheaval actually hinder Sasha's chances of winning? I think she'd be stupid not to recognize all that, not to mention, that added stress and uncertainty highly increase chances of getting sick or injured, right before the competition.

That was one of the most improbable conspiracy theories I ever heard of, Soogar.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Re. Cohen. I don't think she has any chance of winning nationals. I really don't. MK shows up, she wins. Simple.

Do you mean as long as MK shows up and she dosn't even need to skate, she will win? Or am I over sensitive from your statement that you implied that MK has always been held up in Nationals? No matter how manytimes you have to claim with other posters that you are a non-fan of any perticular skater, why I sense a 'any one but kwan' fan here? :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Seriously, when was the last time we even heard something like this? There are probably certain skaters at Worlds who have no hopes of making the top 5 that probably compete at Worlds just for the experience and the fun of it.

- I've heard Kwan say this before,and she's definitely not one of those who pray to make top 5. Come on, we KNOW you want to win, just say it! You're used to being up there anyway.

ETA: I think Kwan "snapped" in one interview and said something to the effect of "I want to win." Aside from this, however, she gives the standard answer.

- IIRC Irina has also said this, however, on the other hand when she DID win the europeans she thought it was a compensation for what she went through. Especially since she DIDN'T skate her best there, it certainly doesn't sound like someone who just came to "skate their best". She would have been flabbergasted(sp?).

- Cohen herself has said this, too. I notice it was when she was with Tarasova and Wagner. Since going back to Nicks, her honesty has returned and she admits she wants to win badly.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
- I've heard Kwan say this before,and she's definitely not one of those who pray to make top 5. Come on, we KNOW you want to win, just say it! You're used to being up there anyway.

Well, when a skater says they are competing not just for the win but for the experience as well, doesn't mean they're lying. I;m sure most skaters rather lose but kick butt then win with a lackluster performance. To me, that shows that people really are there, not only to win, but to have a good time winning as well.

R.D.

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Do you mean as long as MK shows up and she dosn't even need to skate, she will win? Or am I over sensitive from your statement that you implied that MK has always been held up in Nationals? No matter how manytimes you have to claim with other posters that you are a non-fan of any perticular skater, why I sense a 'any one but kwan' fan here? :biggrin:

Let's put it this way: Kwan shows up, skates her standard program. She wins. Cohen falls apart, and the others simply aren't good enough to beat her. (and in my personal opinion, since her competition is so poor, she can even call-in her performance from home and win. :biggrin: OK, I'm hiding, preparing for the onslaught.)

About the "anyone but Kwan" thing: she hasn't been competing much, so other people have won events. At worlds, she is no longer the best. While it's cool to see Kwan on a streak, for me it's been a "dry period" where no one has stepped up to the plate. You see, I like the role of the underdog and I usually cheer for the underdog (unless it's the home team, then I root for them no matter what) because it's more fun. It's the thrill of competition. Not fun for me to see the same person win time and time again.

Kwan is a very private person. No news from her camp. There will be news from Sasha. She's looking good this year and more confident then before. But watch my Bebe!!! If she skates clean and gets the scores she deserves. VaBoom.

Joe

Red Dog said:
You see, I like the role of the underdog and I usually cheer for the underdog,...because it's more fun.
So, can we count on you to be cheering for Kwan at Torino?

MM:);)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
So, can we count on you to be cheering for Kwan at Torino?

MM:);)

For now, I would hold off the celebration...I cheered for her to win in 1998 and 2002 and felt down when she didn't win. Of course, there were no Kwan fans that could heckle me, and I knew nobody else so I did what I wished. Now, having followed skating for four years, and I actually know who the contenders are, in '06 I will have more skaters to choose from. It won't necessarily be Kwan this time.

I think I would be cheering against Irina though, because she will be a favorite, and I also don't like her...

Fossi

Final Flight
You cheered for Kwan at '98 Olympics? I thought you weren't a fan of figure skating until the '02 Olympics. Or was that the first time you saw Sasha?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Fossi said:
You cheered for Kwan at '98 Olympics? I thought you weren't a fan of figure skating until the '02 Olympics.

I am a big fan of the Olympics. I much prefer the Summer Olympics to the Winter Games but I watch both. I've always heard about MK and knew she was a contender for the 1998 Games. I cheered for her to win in 1998 but as we know Tara won it. Tara is from Sugar Land, a suburb/town close to the Houston area. She was all over the press. I was actually into skating then but my interest dropped off quickly I suppose. Then in 2002 it was MK trying all over again. I always thought it was fun to watch skating at the Olympics. Now in '06 I'm not sure who to root for, or even if I CAN root for someone...I'm not enough of a fan of anyone to really cheer someone on.

Red Dog said:
I usually cheer for the underdog (unless it's the home team, then I root for them no matter what)
That's what you need, big dog, a home team. OK, Tara has moved on. But isn't there some other skater from Texas that you can adopt?

Yes! John Baldwin is from Dallas! Go Inoue and Baldwin!

It's no fun to be a fan but not to have anyone to be a fan of.

MM;)

soogar

Record Breaker
registered said:
To put herself through painful breakups and costly moves, and actually jeopardize chances of winning, all in order to have "an excuse," in case she won't succeed? Wouldn't such upheaval actually hinder Sasha's chances of winning? I think she'd be stupid not to recognize all that, not to mention, that added stress and uncertainty highly increase chances of getting sick or injured, right before the competition.

That was one of the most improbable conspiracy theories I ever heard of, Soogar.

It's not a conspiracy theory and no one said it had to be logical. There are some people who are perfectionists and have a high opinion of their ability. It's harder for these people to try their best and be beaten than to have some intervening circumstance to put the blame on. This isn't for the public's benefit but rather for her own mental benefit. She can take comfort that she wasn't in ideal circumstances in the past two nationals rather than accept that she can be beaten by a skater who doesn't have as much natural talent. That's just my theory.

nicole_l

Final Flight
This isn't for the public's benefit but rather for her own mental benefit. She can take comfort that she wasn't in ideal circumstances in the past two nationals rather than accept that she can be beaten by a skater who doesn't have as much natural talent. That's just my theory.
I think that there's a chance that this happened, but I think it was more of an unconscious effort by Sasha rather than a conscious, "I'm going to move so that if I get beaten at Nationals I'll feel better" mentality. Of course she wants to win.
I don't know if she consciously makes excuses, though. Eh, I might.

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's what you need, big dog, a home team. OK, Tara has moved on. But isn't there some other skater from Texas that you can adopt?

I think the key word here is team. I was referring to sports like basketball (I cheer on the Houston Rockets), the NFL (I cheer for the Houston Texans) or MLB (I cheer for the Houston Astros). An activity such as ice skating is different, very different. More personal. It's more than being the hometown girl. You must enjoy the style of skating and like the skater as a person and support her. In other words, be a fan of that skater. The way I feel about these skaters does NOT fit the description of a fan for me, hence why I call myself a "non-fan".

R.D.

Record Breaker
She can take comfort that she wasn't in ideal circumstances in the past two nationals rather than accept that she can be beaten by a skater who doesn't have as much natural talent.

OMG. Not as much natural talent? Talent is nothing. Bottom line: Kwan's got the nerves, the experience and the mentality to deal with competing and can put it together when it counts. Cohen does not.

That said, I'm sure she can comfort herself in thinking she wasn't 100% (and she even seems to drop hints of this in her interviews).However she wouldn't want to say it outright for fear of a backlash. This is ice skating we're talking about with pretty princesses in costumes. The fans (at least in the US) probably wouldn't want to hear stuff like "I want to win" or "I wasn't really prepared for this competition". In sports it's generally OK to say things like that though...

soogar

Record Breaker
Kwan's got nerves (except for the Games when they count), but Sasha is much more gifted than Kwan. I know that when something comes easy to someone and they lose to someone who has to work hard, it affects the person mentally. She might even doubt whether her talent is even real and if she is so talented, why can't she skate clean since it comes so easily in practice.

I do think that there is so much expectation for her that it's almost crushing to deal with. No one gushed over Kwan when she was a youngster to the extent that they gush over Sasha. Maybe b/c Kwan wasn't as fully formed a skater when she was a youngster verses Sasha. Sasha didn't have to develop artistically and get the package,: she already was the complete package when she came onto the scene. She's just waiting for that breakthrough. People harp on her performances, but flawed performances have won World titles for years. She's unfortunate that her competitors are skating clean/er to beat her.