XenForo Questions | Golden Skate

XenForo Questions

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I wanted to say thank you to the staff for getting the site moved to the new platform so quickly! Everything seems to be working, even my favorite GS twitter train is displayed ^ ^
Just two minor things- will there be more visible boundaries between individual threads within a subforum? I think they were separated by alternating darker and lighter thread colors on the previous platform, and I thought it was really handy. Also, I have noticed that when I try to substitute written text with new one, the highlighting does not appear around the passage I select. I hope this is introduced because I want to see which text I have selected -from which word to which word- before deleting it to rephrase it, something I do every now and then.
Also, will the Who's Online list be back eventually?
Thanks again for having finished earlier than originally announced!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like the new look! I hope my Avatar display will include "Hot Tonto" which I did whimsically on a thread concerning a certain gentleman named "Sergei."

But now I kinda like it.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hello from the other side!

Since I am sure I am not the only person that has never used XenForo before, I wanted to ask some questions.

First of all, I want to explain that I intended to do this as a numbered list. However, it looks like you can't do that. The last post I made before the migration had a numbered list in it, but now it is appearing as a set of bullet points. However, I can't find a button for doing lists. So, how do you do lists?

That previous post also shows an example of something else I wanted to ask about. Will the emoticons that we were using on vBulletin be uploaded here? Because the posts that included emoticons that are not on XenForo are rather hard to follow now.

When writing this, it seemed to be permanently in "What You See Is What You Get" mode. Is it possible to switch to normal mode?

Also when writing this, when I was highlighting text (for example to insert a hyperlink), I couldn't see that it was highlighted. So, can something be done so we can see that the text is highlighted?

I just had a look at the Hall Of Fame threads from last season's Predictions Games, and saw that the background colours have been stripped out, and the merged cells are no longer merged. The latter has resulted in the headings being on the wrong columns.

When we were on vBulletin, a feature that I used heavily was, when you were on an index page, you could click on the number of posts in a thread, and a pop-up would appear listing everybody who had posted in a thread, along with the number of posts they had posted. And if you clicked on the number of posts for a particular member, it would list all of their posts in the main window. Is there a way of doing this in XenForo?

Speaking of the index pages, I see that you can still sort the threads, but it is now done by using a filter button at the top right of the page. However, there is no longer the option to sort by thread starter. So, could this option be added?

On vBulletin, when you went into your private messages, there was the option at the bottom of the page to download the contents of your Inbox, your Outbox, or both as a CSV, TXT or XML file. And every time I reached the message limit, I would download my messages before I cleared some space. Looking at the mailbox now, I can't find an option to download messages. So, can this be done on Xenforo?

Is it possible to have square / rectangular avatars? (You only need to look at my avatar to see why I am asking).

I see that the American and Canadian members have their flags displayed. Will the rest of us be getting our flags back too?

Right, that is all I can think of for now.

Sorry for asking so much. After 15 years of using vBulletin fora, I am just so used to doing things their way that I need some pointers.

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
^ Don't forget tables in fanfests, I was surprised to see the font in my two fanfest OP tables super small. Glad I am not the only one experiencing difficulties when highlighting/selecting text. And, I was sending a PM and couldn't see emoticons there, though that one might be just my own dumbness. :D
Anyhow, just listing this all here for the record. I don't expect I'll be updating fanfest tables anytime soon, and can survive emoticonless PMs. I imagine the tech admins are super busy with more important tasks, and I'm content with waiting. Just the highlighting thingy bothers me, that's true.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can someone tell this Luddite if it is possible to adjust the layout/font size and style etc and of so where I go to do it?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wanted to say thank you to the staff for getting the site moved to the new platform so quickly! Everything seems to be working, even my favorite GS twitter train is displayed ^ ^
Just two minor things- will there be more visible boundaries between individual threads within a subforum? I think they were separated by alternating darker and lighter thread colors on the previous platform, and I thought it was really handy. Also, I have noticed that when I try to substitute written text with new one, the highlighting does not appear around the passage I select. I hope this is introduced because I want to see which text I have selected -from which word to which word- before deleting it to rephrase it, something I do every now and then.
Also, will the Who's Online list be back eventually?
Thanks again for having finished earlier than originally announced!
Ok, I believe the "highlighted text" has been resolved.

Who's Online has been added at the bottom of the forum

We never had alternating colors - I just checked. This is something we can look into a bit later.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone tell this Luddite if it is possible to adjust the layout/font size and style etc and of so where I go to do it?
:ROFLMAO:

If you mean changing what you see, not at this time. What issues specifically are you having?

Change is not easy, I know.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:ROFLMAO:

If you mean changing what you see, not at this time. What issues specifically are you having?

Change is not easy, I know.
It's okay, just that a smaller size is more comfortable on my small notebook screen. I'll zoom the screen out when I log in, that seems to work.

The new layout is a lot similar to some other forums I'm on, so it won't take long to get used to the differences.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm not a techie so the editing, etc is beyond my extremely limited tech capabilities. The setup is quite logical, and the graphics are generally good. And huge kudos on what appears to be a quick, efficient and timely relocation to an entirely new platform. Bravo!

The only thing I do miss off the bat are the thumbs up. It was always nice to see popular topics, thank someone for an interesting post, and to see which personal comments struck a chord with people. The little Like Button is a poor substitute. Also, the site awards - it's always good to acknowledge and to be acknowledged those who go above and beyond posting comments.

Ok, back to hiatus for me. But Big SO for the transfer. It's a huge job and you've done it so well! (y)

PS Ah, I'll also miss the emojis. This seems to be a rather limited selection. How can I live without the ability to low bow or swoon or do a very happy dance?

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We have lots to do, but will get the bells and whistles later after we work out other things :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We have lots to do, but will get the bells and whistles later after we work out other things :)

You've deserve chocolate cookies to get it as smooth as it is as fast as you have 🍪. I do want to ask - but understand it may be a while before you get to it - if you expect that we will be able to put threads on and off ignore as we can with, umm, posters? That was always a very very good thing for me...

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Question about displaying the country/location of members... Being patriotic, I set my country as New Zealand, but am currently located in Canada and (with all due respect to the lovely people I've met in this country) it bugs me a bit that after the forum update I'm stuck with a maple leaf underneath my avatar :confused: Tried re-listing NZ and saving the settings again, but it didn't help.

eliana

On the Ice
Question about displaying the country/location of members... Being patriotic, I set my country as New Zealand, but am currently located in Canada and (with all due respect to the lovely people I've met in this country) it bugs me a bit that after the forum update I'm stuck with a maple leaf underneath my avatar :confused: Tried re-listing NZ and saving the settings again, but it didn't help.
:D:D Me too. I'm in the UK but unfortunately it's not my country

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We are going to disable the flags for now and do some testing later ;)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You've deserve chocolate cookies to get it as smooth as it is as fast as you have 🍪. I do want to ask - but understand it may be a while before you get to it - if you expect that we will be able to put threads on and off ignore as we can with, umm, posters? That was always a very very good thing for me...
We will certainly look into it. It may take a while, but this thread will serve as our "To Do" list ;)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not a techie so the editing, etc is beyond my extremely limited tech capabilities. The setup is quite logical, and the graphics are generally good. And huge kudos on what appears to be a quick, efficient and timely relocation to an entirely new platform. Bravo!

The only thing I do miss off the bat are the thumbs up. It was always nice to see popular topics, thank someone for an interesting post, and to see which personal comments struck a chord with people. The little Like Button is a poor substitute. Also, the site awards - it's always good to acknowledge and to be acknowledged those who go above and beyond posting comments.

Ok, back to hiatus for me. But Big SO for the transfer. It's a huge job and you've done it so well! (y)

PS Ah, I'll also miss the emojis. This seems to be a rather limited selection. How can I live without the ability to low bow or swoon or do a very happy dance?
Understand about the Thumbs up. That was a different platform with different software. The icons you see now are called "Reactions". They will eventually count for something, I promise! We just need some time to work on other areas first, so this is on the "To Do" list.

Emojis will come back soon!

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Wow, that was a faster transition than expected! Good timing too 😉

Is there a way to bring back the old smileys? It's nice to have all the different emojis, but somehow I'm getting nostalgic for the good old dead banana, dancing banana, pom pom cheers, etc. 😆

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Just generally, why did you choose to migrate from vB? I saw they're still updating version 5, so I'm curious. Xenforo is much better, is that the reason?