You know anyone who could never learn to ice skate no matter what? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

You know anyone who could never learn to ice skate no matter what?

lilicedreamer

Rinkside
As an adult your bones have finally hardened, and when you fall you are often hurt. Hence, adult skaters like me tend to have a bit more anxiety on the ice and tend not to progress to the adult freestyle levels, but do more work on the flat than jumps. If you see an adult on the ice with a jerky marionette type motion when they skate that means that are an adult skater who learned to skate as an adult, not a child. Something gets hardwired in your brain, my guess anyway, if you skate by age 11, and that stays with you. When you watch the adult classes you almost always see one or two people who do this. That's the way it stays for them! About the hurt and bones question: as a child your bones are a bit more like greensticks and take falls a bit better. It hurts less than as an adult.

Last edited:

treesprite

Final Flight
Reading the posts about roller skating...
I rolled over a cousin's fingers at a roller rink about 35 years ago. Didn't cause a serious injury thank goodness, but it sure was painful.

I roller skated around the neighborhood on the metal strap-on roller skates when really young, before being able to take up ice skating. The only ice rink was outdoors and with 4 siblings there was no getting rides from the parents, so until I could walk the 1.5 miles each way to the rink, and during the summer, there was nothing but wheels. I have not roller skated since about 35 years ago (around the time I rolled over the fingers....) But now that there are Pic Skates for freestyle skating, I've been thinking of giving them a try.