Yulia Lipnitskaya | Page 62 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya

Alba

Record Breaker
Spins are her forte for sure, but for me, there is something even more appealing about her hands movement (remember Johnny Weir praised it as a commentator) - it's so elegant and charming. She's doing those small little enchanting gestures like she is casting some spell on poor judges and viewers. Started young... :)
https://33.media.tumblr.com/1d1e40368826de1ee7d159395e5ad8b4/tumblr_n8d9asTteS1tuatvvo2_250.gif

Absolutely, and her deep plié which I love most. :love:

What was Johnny saying about her? I don't have the girls with NBC comment.

loiza

On the Ice
My mistake then. Forgive me. :)
The thing is that Rai (Italian pubblic television), for example, thanks to Franca Bianconi is making a lot of negative comments using this gymnastic story about her. Saying that she skates like a gymnast because she was one, and things like that.
They were very nasty with some of the young girls as well, like Gracie and Osmond too, but more with here. Obviously because they saw her as a threat to Carolina. It was disgusting, so much that many fans which are not Yulia fans got mad and start criticising RAI Sport on their FB page.

:laugh:
Ok, the important thing here is that everyone loves she.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
when the british eurosport analysts first saw yulia they summed her up as "a gymnast on ice with the ability to dance."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKKgZvEiyp4

I don't see it as a bad thing really. She is her own thing and not just copying the predecessors before her like we see from many youngsters. There is no one road to the top. While I can enjoy many levels and styles of skating I find nothing wrong with saying my favorite is a little gymnastic freak with the ability to steal your heart. She uses her flexibility and subtle balletic qualities to capitalize on her transitions and score points but a lot of people are connecting with her emotions too. She can always focus on the more artistic stuff as her tech ability trails off to some degree but for now :popcorn:

ManLady

On the Ice
i'm guessing people here are aware of the mother-of-all-yulia-torrents ?

http://imgur.com/RNMN0Tk

is it appropriate to post a magnet link here? i figure it shouldn't be taboo to at least ask since 99.99% of all videos linked here are 'bootleg'.

alebi

Medalist
skater + gymnast + dancer = a much richer and more interesting performer.

Totally agree. And the people that emphasize this thing as a bad one are only afraid of something new and unique. We love diversity and we can appreciate at the same time skaters like Yulia, Gracie, Caro, Yuna, Ashley and everyone that has a special thing in their skating... or does someone else prefer clones? :confused2:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
SP is done. FP is still in work.
Averbukh thinks that the new SP will not be disappointing for the fans for sure. Her new SP is very interesting, and it 'fits' Yulia very well. They will tell us about the plot and music very soon.
Source: http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/1022033638.html

P.S. Sorry, have no time to translate full article :)

papa

Match Penalty
Averbukh thinks that the new SP will not be disappointing for the fans for sure. Her new SP is very interesting, and it 'fits' Yulia very well. They will tell us about the plot and music very soon.
Source: http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/1022033638.html

P.S. Sorry, have no time to translate full article

Google translate:
Olympic silver medalist in figure skating Ilya Averbukh told about the formulation of new programs for Yulia Lipnitskaya.

"We continue our joint work with Julia. Currently already set a short program. It seems to me a very interesting project, Julia is skating it very well. Very soon we will tell about the plot, which is conceived. While I can only say that the short program we do not disappoint our viewers. It's difficult to say something about long program - we have not done it yet, it's still worked on.

Of course, to begin work this year has been very difficult. When everything has been so good, it's hard to do something even more ambitious. But we have tried to give up all these thoughts - I myself, Julia and her coaches. That stage is completed, the programs - are worn out material.

There are four whole years ahead of Yulia and I think that during these four years, we will at least once certainly hit "the bull's eye." Still, the main program must be in the Olympic season. In the past year we were fortunate and all turned out great. Will continue to operate on the principle to find the best of all possible options for next Olympics. But this does not mean that we are now working in a slipshod fashion" - said Averbukh in an interview to R-Sport.

Every time I read "next Olympics" with regard to Yulia, I'm like :yay::hb::party::party2:

ManLady

On the Ice
Google translate:

Every time I read "next Olympics" with regard to Yulia, I'm like :yay::hb::party::party2:

I'm scared for yulia at the next olympics. can someone here assuage my fear? i can't imagine koreans will allow a russian to get an ogm on korean turf. if yulia is to win there, it must be decisive and convincing. am i right?

skate59

Rinkside
I'm scared for yulia at the next olympics. can someone here assuage my fear? i can't imagine koreans will allow a russian to get an ogm on korean turf. if yulia is to win there, it must be decisive and convincing. am i right?

It could definitely make it more difficult for her but she has 4 years to get ready and if anyone can its her. I noticed she deleted most of her VK photos...wonder why? Hoping its just her way of getting ready for the new season.

papa

Match Penalty
Whole interview with Averbukh:
http://rsport.ru/interview/20140709/757109129.html

with one missing excerpt about Yulia (rest is about Elena Radionova and dance pairs):
- According to your observations, has Lipnitskaya somehow changed after everything she went through in the Olympic season?

- I haven't noticed any cardinal changes. After the Olympics there were shows, holidays, it was time to go through all that had happened and recover. Of course, Julia matures, more measured, more soulful movements appear in her skating. But I can say that we are not trying to change the style inherent only to Julia Lipnitskaya. Her airy skating, her flying over the ice. It's more important to accumulate and hone what is already there - Lipnitskaya, like any other skater, still has room to grow. I'm not advocating that necessarily every year you need to come up with something radically new - relatively speaking, to change something just for the sake of change.

To be honest, I'm more worried about all those Russian youngsters, waiting to bump, as Sam said, "19yo grandma Yulia" from 2018 Olympics spot... :rolleye:

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
You better not start a useless discussion, with no arguments, in first place.

And what do you understand here? Tell me where and when it was written dismissively about her flexibility in this topic?!

All I was trying to say is that I like to acknowledge that she works hard for her flexibility. I did not say anything that was negative towards you. If you interpreted it that way I'm sorry. I only pointed out the truth that others (as in on the edge and Youtube videos) dismiss her flexibility. I give up.

ManLady

On the Ice
To be honest, I'm more worried about all those Russian youngsters, waiting to bump, as Sam said, "19yo grandma Yulia" from 2018 Olympics spot... :rolleye:

is 19yo ladies skater past athletic prime? what is prime age for ladies? does it depend on body?

edit: also, we should keep in mind that of the other russian ladies who are apart of this 'wave' who are older or same age (elena, eliza, anna) have not anywhere near matched success of yulia (despite ogm). in other words, yulia so far seems to be atop this wave, and therefore perhaps most talented competitor. elena beat her as a junior, but yulia was in her growth spurt. will be curious to see if elena comes out like yulia this year.

Alba

Record Breaker
All I was trying to say is that I like to acknowledge that she works hard for her flexibility. I did not say anything that was negative towards you. If you interpreted it that way I'm sorry. I only pointed out the truth that others (as in on the edge and Youtube videos) dismiss her flexibility. I give up.

Again, speak with those people then, like I do.
I did not "interpret" anything. You quoted me to contradict what I was saying, not once but twice. So yes please, do give up.

is 19yo ladies skater past athletic prime? what is prime age for ladies? does it depend on body?.

Not at all. On the contrary, I don't think you are in your prime yet. Full maturity I mean.

Unless injuries have a say, I see no problems. IMO.

alebi

Medalist

now I can't sleep anymore.... REALLY!! I'm already excited :biggrin: Thanks for the info :)