Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 71 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
How many times did Yuzu donated his money/made contributions?
Back in 2012 he donated the royalties and part of the earnings from his biography to Sendai rink.
If I´m correct he donated all his bonus from the Olympic Gold Medal to the reconstruction of Sendai and part for the skaring rink.

Don´t know if there is any more.

giulia95

Medalist
His physical condition improved a lot this season, but I also believe he became mentally strong . At the GPF, after the fall at the 4S, he was perfect, no hesitation. At the worlds, at the FS, he knew that any mistake would cost him the world title and he managed the pressure so well. Although calling him 'kid', this season he became a mature skater. He looks like a champion (of course he is a champion, but there were examples of world champions who didn't have that "wow, look at the champion/king" effect).

Don’t you think he was already terribly and incredibly mentally strong in London? :eek:

No one would have had the guts to skate like that in the FS , despite being miserably and visibly gasping and in pain.. he didn’t withdraw because he had the the Olys spot mission and responsability on his shoulders.

I think the KID is a true champion , one of the best ever , and last season he was forced to mature even too much and too quickly as a person in my opinion , considering how much sofference and pain he had to go through and to face , when he had already experienced the earthquake.

I think Yuzuru is an incredibly mature person for his young age, not a very mature skater yet.

He definitely needs to rest .

Meoima

Match Penalty
Don’t you think he was already terribly and incredibly mentally strong in London? :eek:

No one would have had the guts to skate like that in the FS , despite being miserably and visibly gasping and in pain.. he didn’t withdraw because he had the the Olys spot mission and responsability on his shoulders.

I think the KID is a true champion , one of the best ever , and last season he was forced to mature even too much and too quickly as a person in my opinion , considering how much sofference and pain he had to go through and to face right after the earthquake season.

I think Yuzuru is an incredibly mature person for his young age, not a very mature skater yet.

He definitely needs to rest .

The problem is, with all the scheduled ice shows that the kid is going to perform in this summer (8 ice shows at least) I doubt that he even have enough time to breath. JSF has made lots of money through shows and commercials, thanks to Hanyu and his teammates this seasons. Yet they are too greedy. I don't know what happen in their mind, do they want Hanyu to have enough strength for next season, or they only care about the money they could make? They should think about the skaters first, but look at the schedule!

giulia95

Medalist
:agree:

I absolute agree with you! JSF has already treated Dai this horrible way and they were very close to waste Yuzu's career forever last year.

JSF basically don't deserve the incredible skaters they have.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania

Ok, maybe I didn't use the right words. I didn't want it to sound like he wasn't mentally strong in 2013, but this season he was impressive in terms of putting up with the stress. This season, at the SP, when he entered the ice you could just feel that he's focused and can't have any mistakes. (at the worlds he was tired, but even with the fall, he had a solid SP). Even after the 3F at the olympics (when I was already crying that the title is gone), he continued fighting for every jump and you could see how concentrated he was.
Maybe it's just me, but I already consider him a mature skater.

PatricksGaze

On the Ice
Oh, thank you. I just thought that he had many opportunities to do charity and wanted to find out if he did many contributions.

Windy

Rinkside
Oh, thank you. I just thought that he had many opportunities to do charity and wanted to find out if he did many contributions.

I think you forget the fact that Yuzuru, himself, was also a victim of the earthquake. His house was damaged, he lost his home rink and was even thinking of "had my hands full making a living to stay alive" back then. He was the one who needed help and support. So wasn't it supposed that other people (skaters or not) should do charity/ contributions to Sendai instead of asking for it from Yuzuru? He already did a wonderful job to "return the favour" to people in Sendai, both mentally and physically, you still find that's not enough???

To think that I even believed it when you said you were his fan...:rolleye:

phaeljones

On the Ice
Ok, maybe I didn't use the right words. I didn't want it to sound like he wasn't mentally strong in 2013, but this season he was impressive in terms of putting up with the stress. This season, at the SP, when he entered the ice you could just feel that he's focused and can't have any mistakes. (at the worlds he was tired, but even with the fall, he had a solid SP). Even after the 3F at the olympics (when I was already crying that the title is gone), he continued fighting for every jump and you could see how concentrated he was.
Maybe it's just me, but I already consider him a mature skater.

I agree with both of you. How's that?! :p

There is an interesting point here though. Because Hanyu came in 4th at last year's worlds, it made it possible for him to compete against Patrick Chan twice in the Grand Prix preliminary skates at Skate Canada and TEB without contravening the 1-3 and 4-6 rule. (The general rule is that the first three at worlds do not compete against each other and that the 4th to 6th placements of worlds do not compete against each other in the preliminary grand prix events . . . although there are host country exceptions like NHK at Sendai in 2012). If Hanyu had medaled last year at 2013 worlds, he would not have been able to get that experience of competing against Patrick in those preliminary events, and I think that was a very special and positive learning and improvement phase for him in his skating and his being able to deal with pressure.

I am not sure who was behind that pairing (if anyone) of Hanyu and Chan at both TEB and Skate Canada, but, as bad as it might have looked for Yuzuru after St. John, it seemed to toughen Yuzuru up over time in the long run. (For instance, consider how he seemed to toughen up in TEB compared to his nerve situation at St. John. He learned from St. John, it appears.) He seemed to grow by competing more against Chan.

Yuzuru is a dynamic skater, one who gets better over time by overcoming the challenges he meets, not a static skater where who he is at the beginning of an event is going to be who he is after the event. However he is skating today, he will take what is given to him, absorb it like a sponge, and be better tomorrow.

p.s.: I think Chan also improved greatly by competing against Yuzu. They are both truly great skaters and competitors.

dasani

On the Ice
I think you forget the fact that Yuzuru, himself, was also a victim of the earthquake. His house was damaged, he lost his home rink and was even thinking of "had my hands full making a living to stay alive" back then. He was the one who needed help and support. So wasn't it supposed that other people (skaters or not) should do charity/ contributions to Sendai instead of asking for it from Yuzuru? He already did a wonderful job to "return the favour" to people in Sendai, both mentally and physically, you still find that's not enough???

To think that I even believed it when you said you were his fan...:rolleye:

LOL, poor yuzu, after being questioned his "fake" personality, having no friends, and the number of times he has contributed for Tohoku...hopefully those who have so many doubts in him (oh wait, or is it only just one person...) can finally focus on his skating once and for all.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I agree with both of you. How's that?! :p

There is an interesting point here though. Because Hanyu came in 4th at last year's worlds, it made it possible for him to compete against Patrick Chan twice in the Grand Prix preliminary skates at Skate Canada and TEB without contravening the 1-3 and 4-6 rule. (The general rule is that the first three at worlds do not compete against each other and that the 4th to 6th placements of worlds do not compete against each other in the preliminary grand prix events . . . although there are host country exceptions like NHK at Sendai in 2012). If Hanyu had medaled last year at 2013 worlds, he would not have been able to get that experience of competing against Patrick in those preliminary events, and I think that was a very special and positive learning and improvement phase for him in his skating and his being able to deal with pressure.

I am not sure who was behind that pairing (if anyone) of Hanyu and Chan at both TEB and Skate Canada, but, as bad as it might have looked for Yuzuru after St. John, it seemed to toughen Yuzuru up over time in the long run. (For instance, consider how he seemed to toughen up in TEB compared to his nerve situation at St. John. He learned from St. John, it appears.) He seemed to grow by competing more against Chan.

Yuzuru is a dynamic skater, one who gets better over time by overcoming the challenges he meets, not a static skater where who he is at the beginning of an event is going to be who he is after the event. However he is skating today, he will take what is given to him, absorb it like a sponge, and be better tomorrow.

p.s.: I think Chan also improved greatly by competing against Yuzu. They are both truly great skaters and competitors.

Excellent points. :) I'm not sure though whether Patrick got the same level of "benefit" competing against Yuzuru as the other way around. Patrick did skate his best against Yuzuru in the TEB, and his total score remains the world record up till now. Patrick may have peaked too early for the Olympics, while Yuzuru, as you rightly pointed out, was in an upward arc.

To have both of them skate their best in a competition will be something really special. I hope we figure skating fans get to witness that sooner rather than later.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Considering his physical condition, his problems from last season, the way he looked after each FS, 4th place was maximum he could get and I think he was happy with it. I don't think he wasted the gold medal, Denis Ten was fantastic and Patrick was fantastically overscored.

I agree that 4th was a fantastic achievement under the circumstances though maybe Yuzuru could have sneaked in for the bronze if Javier faltered in the LP. As revealed by one of his coaches, Tracy Wilson, Yuzuru only had three days of limited practice prior to Worlds 2013 because of first, illness (got the flu after the 2013 FCC) and then later a knee injury from which he apparently still hasn't recovered when he arrived in London. Some concerned fans even called for him to withdraw for fear he might aggravate his injury. But as national champion and with Japan's Olympic spots on the line, Yuzuru felt it was his responsibility to compete. And boy did he do so! All his Worlds LP performances so far have been triumphs against adversity and testaments to his incredible fighting spirit.

I am just so thankful that this past season, Yuzuru and his team were able to manage his physical condition well. As noted by recent posts, Yuzuru appears to be much stronger and faster over the ice, and this is reflected in his results.

channah

Rinkside
Anyone can translate the interview of Hanyu after his exhibition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaSqgxQqJ50

Hello Yuzusan
Here is a translation of the interview Yuzuru gave just before the exhibition skate of RJ1.

"Kokubun: It has been two days since you won the gold medal. Can you tell us how you feel?
Yuzuru: I must say that I am happy but when I think about it winning the Olympics and winning Worlds those were both big things for me but they are only part of this season and I need to look forward to next season and the new competitions and do my best for that.
K: Over the past two days have you had any time to mentally relax?
Y: Well, I’m a little tired. This season, which included the Olympics I felt was a little long, but I overcame many challenges and felt I improved which is an important point.
K: Since you won the Olympic medal, hasn’t your environment changed a lot including the people around you? Given that was the case how did you deal with it and what were your hopes for the World Championships?
Y: Well, Worlds were held in Japan and many, many people supported me so I was able to feel really good and enjoy myself while I was skating.
K: Japanese Nationals and also World Championships were both held in the Saitama Super Arena but for this competition what did you feel regarding the cheers of the 18,000 spectators in the audience?
Y: Well, I could really feel that the audience are true skating fans and love skating. In addition they could enjoy a variety of skating from the various skaters who came from all over the world.
K: In today’s exhibition, what kind of program are you planning to perform?
Y: For me this particular program is very special. It is a program about looking forward, about being able to continue to skate against the odds. Also, it is a program that many people will feel an affinity for and be a little sentimental about so I want to skate my very best for them.
K: We are looking forward to it! Thank you very much.
Y: Thank you too. "

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Hello Yuzusan
Here is a translation of the interview Yuzuru gave just before the exhibition skate of RJ1.

Y: For me this particular program is very special. It is a program about looking forward, about being able to continue to skate against the odds. Also, it is a program that many people will feel an affinity for and be a little sentimental about so I want to skate my very best for them.
"

Thank you Channah for the translation! Yuzuru beautifully articulated what that program meant not just to him but to us his fans as well.

That final pose of his at the end of his R & J 1 program with his arms outstretched and his saying "owatta" brought to my mind "consummatum est." I don't want to sound blasphemous, but as in the latter the end of this particular journey for Yuzuru promises better and greater things for him. For sure there will be hardships along the way but his indomitable spirit will see him through.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Hello Yuzusan

"Kokubun: It has been two days since you won the gold medal. Can you tell us how you feel?
Yuzuru: I must say that I am happy but when I think about it winning the Olympics and winning Worlds those were both big things for me but they are only part of this season and I need to look forward to next season and the new competitions and do my best for that.
K: Over the past two days have you had any time to mentally relax?
Y: Well, I’m a little tired. This season, which included the Olympics I felt was a little long, but I overcame many challenges and felt I improved which is an important point.
K: Since you won the Olympic medal, hasn’t your environment changed a lot including the people around you? Given that was the case how did you deal with it and what were your hopes for the World Championships?
Y: Well, Worlds were held in Japan and many, many people supported me so I was able to feel really good and enjoy myself while I was skating.
K: Japanese Nationals and also World Championships were both held in the Saitama Super Arena but for this competition what did you feel regarding the cheers of the 18,000 spectators in the audience?
Y: Well, I could really feel that the audience are true skating fans and love skating. In addition they could enjoy a variety of skating from the various skaters who came from all over the world.
K: In today’s exhibition, what kind of program are you planning to :biggrin:perform?
Y: Thank you too. "

Thanks for the translation :biggrin:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Don't know if this is something everybody already knows or if anybody cares (I kinda did :p ), but I found this website with a pretty detailed transcript and translation of the song

Thanks!
I saw the translation of the lyrics here and I then thought they are perfect for the kid (many thanks to the uploader) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1PNaAM37LA
Beautiful lyrics and they match with Yuzu's personality..both strong fighter and sensitive skater.

"Don't give up, no matter how difficult tomorrow may be, your life will shine":agree:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
K: In today’s exhibition, what kind of program are you planning to perform?

Thank you very much for the translation!
I'm sorry to hear (not especially here) many fans wanted him not to perform R&J1 because it didn't feel the same. He did it for us. I'm sure that he heard how important this program is for his fans (probably Nice 2012 and Sochi 2014 were the moments when most of his fans started to be fans).