Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 614 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

sajoya

On the Ice
96.27? IMHO, he's a bit overscored. His quad toe was gorgeous and definitely deserved those GOE, but his 3A shouldn't have received that much 3s. He stumbled a bit on the entrance of his 3A and the spread eagle. Of course those little mistakes didn't disrupt his SP as a whole, but they were still pretty visible to the naked eye and should've received no more than 2s for GOE. As for that unfortunate fall, I thought it was more disruptive than his fall at the GPF. Right after that, I had a hard time watching the rest of his performance. Meh, maybe I am being too picky with this performance :hopelessness:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
96.27? IMHO, he's a bit overscored. His quad toe was gorgeous and definitely deserved those GOE, but his 3A shouldn't have received that much 3s. He stumbled a bit on the entrance of his 3A and the spread eagle. Of course those little mistakes didn't disrupt his SP as a whole, but they were still pretty visible to the naked eye and should've received no more than 2s for GOE. As for that unfortunate fall, I thought it was more disruptive than his fall at the GPF. Right after that, I had a hard time watching the rest of his performance. Meh, maybe I am being too picky with this performance :hopelessness:

I think some people here (myself included), think he was somewhat overscored. Even if this is a place for Yuzuru fans, many try to be as objective as possible and know when it was too much. I thought he would get low 90s and deserved the 1st place, but I wouldn't have imagined a SB :/
I think it was a combination of factors, last event of the season, skating on home ice, scores don't matter as much as placements here, there's no Javi or Denis to go neck to neck with, and his performance wasn't excelent but it was still very good...not that these serve as excuses but more as explanation as to why it happened.

Last edited:
There are no objective fans like Yuzuru's. We want him to not feel so down but we do ourselves. We are exactly like him, expecting the best of best. Is it good or bad?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It might have been overscored. Well when I heard that he fell on the 3T of the 3Lz-3T AND UR, I thought it would be in the high 80's or possibly 90. So yeah, I was a PINCH confused with the high score. But I do not question scores. No one is going to agree on everything, so that's how I see it.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
96.27? IMHO, he's a bit overscored. His quad toe was gorgeous and definitely deserved those GOE, but his 3A shouldn't have received that much 3s.
+3 GoE needs five out of six bullet points:

- Unexpected / creative / difficult entry
- Clear recognizable steps/free skating movements immediately preceding element
- Varied position in the air / delay in rotation
- Great height and/or distance
- Superior extension on landing / creative exit
- Superior flow in and out (and in-between in jump combinations / sequences)

I'd say he missed 1 bullet point. But two? No, I don't think so.

I think he deserves the +3's, and most of the judges got it right. And furthermore if you look at the GoE's they gave to the other skaters for their triple axels... well, after that they HAVE to give Hanyu +3's for his.

All those crying "overscored" - are you allowing a fall and a couple of minor mistakes to blind you to all the difficult stuff that Hanyu did amazingly well? Stuff that scores big points? He makes it all look so easy, so effortless... but it's not...

Last edited:

annca

On the Ice

I think he deserves the +3's, and most of the judges got it right. And furthermore if you look at the GoE's they gave to the other skaters for their triple axels... well, after that they HAVE to give Hanyu +3's for his.

All those crying "overscored" - are you allowing a fall and a couple of minor mistakes to blind you to all the difficult stuff that Hanyu did amazingly well? Stuff that scores big points? He makes it all look so easy, so effortless... but it's not...

:agree: thank you YesWay :)

Thanks for the post:cheer:

gsyzf

Medalist

I only saw a stumble on the spread eagle, not on the entrance. That stumble looked like his blade hitting something on the ice surface, rather than a mistake by him and that's after the jump. So I don't think the judges took deductions for that (that's my guess). IMO, his GOEs are almost always deserved and he is more likely to be underscored than over-scored in the GOEs. The PCS was a bit too high. But that's home ice inflation I guess. Even without the inflation, his PCS would still be around 44. So his final score would still be close to his GPF score. I don't think it would be low 90s, even without the home ice inflation.

Last edited:

sajoya

On the Ice
@xibsuarz I can understand the "home ice" argument, 'cause I'm sure that's the case for his score. And yes, it's just the WTT and honestly it'll be a miracle if Team Japan is able walk away with a bronze, but the reason behind my frustration is probably the fact that generous scores usually never sits well with me, and my favorites are no exception to this. I'm just a firm believer of fairness and I thought his score could've been a bit lower. True, it doesn't make much of a difference since he'll still have the lead but at least he'd have a reasonable score to justify his overall performance.

sajoya

On the Ice

This helps explain a lot. Thanks. I'm still learning when it comes to figure skating (FYI). So don't be taking my opinion too hard.

alia jackson

Record Breaker

Thank you YesWay

Last edited:

wookchub

On the Ice
I just read at japanese twitter and it seems Yuzuru is not all that upset he was actually doing an impersonation of Satoko and Kanoko when they were watching him :laugh2:

Tho I'm sure he is a little unhappy :slink:

I'm so glad I decided to go back through the pages I missed because I totally didn't get that he was imitating them!!!! Hahaha!! For sure I think he's disappointed but at least he could still joke!

gsyzf

Medalist
@xibsuarz I can understand the "home ice" argument, 'cause I'm sure that's the case for his score. And yes, it's just the WTT and honestly it'll be a miracle if Team Japan is able walk away with a bronze, but the reason behind my frustration is probably the fact that generous scores usually never sits well with me, and my favorites are no exception to this. I'm just a firm believer of fairness and I thought his score could've been a bit lower. True, it doesn't make much of a difference since he'll still have the lead but at least he'd have a reasonable score to justify his overall performance.

There will always be some human factors that influence the judging. So the judging can never be 100% fair. But if it doesn't change the final placement, I won't complain too much. Otherwise, we will complain about every competition. (We need to leave some room for statistical and human errors.)

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

Right. I also don't like it when a skater receives more than what (I think) he should get, either, but I'm no judge. I think that I like it even less w/ my favorites (I'm such a bad fan being tough on them) because I know that they are capable of getting those numbers on their own, and it makes other people question their abilities. Of course, the judges are humans so the scoring system will never be perfect (unless somebody creates a perfect machine that does the scoring), but it's also their job to try to be as objective as possible. And really, Yuzuru doesn't need those scores, that will only get many people complaining, to win, specially here.
Anyways, I'll stop here because it's the Fan Thread :) But I'm curious on something else, I thought that stumble in the spread eagle was like his skate got caught on something, and I'm seeing some people getting it that way too. I thought it was that because of how weird both skates moved, kind of like a wave. But I'm also seeing people say it was a mistake from him where he couldn't control the blades properly. So...what was it?

gsyzf

Medalist
Right. I also don't like it when a skater receives more than what (I think) he should get, either, but I'm no judge. I think that I like it even less w/ my favorites (I'm such a bad fan being tough on them) because I know that they are capable of getting those numbers on their own, and it makes other people question their abilities. Of course, the judges are humans so the scoring system will never be perfect (unless somebody creates a perfect machine that does the scoring), but it's also their job to try to be as objective as possible. And really, Yuzuru doesn't need those scores, that will only get many people complaining, to win, specially here.
Anyways, I'll stop here because it's the Fan Thread :) But I'm curious on something else, I thought that stumble in the spread eagle was like his skate got caught on something, and I'm seeing some people getting it that way too. I thought it was that because of how weird both skates moved, kind of like a wave. But I'm also seeing people say it was a mistake from him where he couldn't control the blades properly. So...what was it?

I thought it looked like his blades hit something. Actually, I think most of the people who complained about Yuzu's scores are his own fans (for this particular competition).

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I thought it looked like his blades hit something. Actually, I think most of the people who complained about Yuzu's scores are his own fans (for this particular competition).

Well, I think it's better that it's us and not the haters (they can seriously be very rude) :slink:

alia jackson

Record Breaker
What are these fans based their opinion on? The set of scoring guidelines as an example YesWay given or just base on them watching the skate? or upon reading what others non-fan are saying? And what do they think his score should be 70, 85, 90, 93, 96???

Last edited:

firal

Record Breaker
WAIT, so am I the only one who knew he was imitating the girls in the kiss and cry from the live stream?? ;) I couldn't post earlier but I felt panicky when so many people on various places thought he looked so upset that his expression went completely blank...that's what I thought he was like, a blank face, rather than a frustrated, mad at himself face which is what he really felt. And also because he is such a kind and considerate person there there is no way he will sit their like that with the team cheering and acting silly behind him; he is an athlete for sure, but he understands and knows the atmosphere of WTT too.

Men's events being last in the day probably meant we won't see him in the kiss and cry supporting others today too.:disapp: I guess he will be there on Saturday for the pairs and woman's free, but that means no chance of seeing him and Kanako goof around! But nice to see Satoko breaking out of her shell a bit (She was completely covered by Mura, standing behind him, so when it was Hanyu's turn you can see her with the flags to "heighten" herself and she was also moving around him trying to be seen. So cute! :laugh2:)