Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018 | Page 149 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Praying Yuzu 2-peats. Want him to 2-peat more then I wanted my next favorite skater to 4 years ago.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Good luck Hanyu... he looks so good and suave with the white jacket 'flying'. Hope he has a great come back! He should take advantage of the fact Patrick and Nathen didn't have a good outing at all in the team events, and everyone is really curious on how Hanyu is doing. If he can blow everyone's top off with his WR SP, LP should be theoretically smoother sailing. Boyang will never catch him in PCS, so it is his to lose. Shoma should not beat him on jumps quality... although let's hope that is reflected in the GOEs.

Fingers crossed biggly... and huggy a pooh or two.

Yep. He has to nail perfect SP and he will be on the road for win in judges eyes before LP. Then all he would have to do is to do clean lp with 3 quads

and he can do that SP easily if he will keep his head together under that pressure

Ophelia

Record Breaker
We will see. The ice is slippery and the judges are fickle. 4 years ago, I thought Yuna Kim had the gold locked in the bag, and looked what happened.

summerbliss

Rinkside
We will see. The ice is slippery and the judges are fickle. 4 years ago, I thought Yuna Kim had the gold locked in the bag, and looked what happened.
I don't know exactly how the scoring system works but I am aware that judges can massively underscore/overscore. I heard that his performance at last year's World's was quite underscored and I will be so upset if the same thing were to happen at the Olympics. I really hope he gets what he wants and does the skate of his life :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Yuzuru loves his rituals and stuff so skating 1st might remind his time at Sochi and will show us clean SP (and LP of course), i choose to be hopeful unless there is a reason not to (otherwise my poor heart may not take it :dbana:) :biggrin:

btw today is the anniversary of his olympic gold medal :dance3:

summerbliss

Rinkside
since I am a relatively new fan (it's been a year) of yuzuru, I just wanted to ask the OG fans how Yuzuru was perceived by the media and everyone before and when he competed at Sochi 2014. Was he considered an unexpected dark horse or a strong contender for the 2014 Olympics? Was he well-known and did people expect him to win?
I was wondering how his Olympic season this time could be different from the last time. he has a lot of pressure now being the defending champion and all those achievements since the Olympics and wanted to know how he was seen and what kind of pressures he had before becoming an Olympic Champion in 2014.

beki

Medalist
Patrick Chan was the favorite for gold. But, Yuzuru had just topped him at the Grand Prix Final. That was crucial to his momentum and win. The judges perceived Chan was beatable on base value, and decided not to hold up his PCS without exception, as they had for the past several years. It's a tiny bit similar to Zagitova and Medvedeva now. Imo had Chan been clean he would have won (but he hardly ever is).

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Have either Chen or Uno built enough momentum this time around to surpass Hanyu?

I don't think so. If Hanyu skates clean short, he is clear favourite although I worry judges then may start looking for rival for him before LP and bump up one of guys scores to be close to Hanyu

beki

Medalist
Have either Chen or Uno built enough momentum this time around to surpass Hanyu?

Kind of, because either of them is capable of beating him. But they've actually built less momentum than I expected they would. They couldn't capitalize on his absence. This season has been sloppy across the board without phenomenal performances. Some of the better performances came earlier in the season, so it's not like any man is riding high on recent success like Zagitova.

I don't think so. I mean whatever achievement they have had was accompanied by the phrase "While Hanyu was out with an injury". Both fans and media have had this mindset for the last three months, why should the judges be any different?

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Yuzuru loves his rituals and stuff so skating 1st might remind his time at Sochi and will show us clean SP (and LP of course), i choose to be hopeful unless there is a reason not to (otherwise my poor heart may not take it :dbana:) :biggrin:

btw today is the anniversary of his olympic gold medal :dance3:

OMG!
Totally I forgot that today is 4th anniversary. In Tokyo, that night had so much snow and I watched TV, shivering in my living room. Apparently that night was different. I cant believe 4 years have passed...

Yep, first SP is good for him.

yude

Record Breaker
OMG!
Totally I forgot that today is 4th anniversary. In Tokyo, that night had so much snow and I watched TV, shivering in my living room. Apparently that night was different. I cant believe 4 years have passed...

Yep, first SP is good for him.

Yes, he won the gold in the mid night and the morning shows were all about him, but TV screen had "snow information" all the time :laugh:

yude

Record Breaker
I'm wondering if he will show up in the both practices today, maybe only one? :think:

For the last two days I was so sure about Yuzu winning the gold medal that it actually made me super nervous today. You know, like when everything is so good but suddenly something that you could never think of goes wrong. I'm going to skate tonight to make myself calm down, one more day to go :palmf: