Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018 | Page 93 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yes, I think if the injury really isn't big and will heal fast, the main problem for him will be that he is going to the Olympic without much competition experience for this year - I'm thinking he might just tak 4lz out and use the old layouts or a mixture of the two?

Yes, the missing competition experience might be the biggest problem - we all know Yuzu is normally one of those who needs to 'warm up' throughout the season. Not sure what his team thinks, there would be competitions he could attend between Nationals & Olys, but then it might also get a pretty busy schedule, especially with the team event being there (which is also a competition, but so close to the single event... :palmf: ).
And I wouldn't be surprised if Brian wants Yuzu to take out the 4Lz. Not sure Yuzu would be fine with that, given his mentality... they sure have a lot they need to figure out after this. (But everythign after recovering. First things first!)

PS: Jason held up a sign in Japanese for Yuzu after his skate. Wished Yuzu to "get well soon". Very, very sweet!

Henni147

Final Flight
Yes, I think if the injury really isn't big and will heal fast, the main problem for him will be that he is going to the Olympic without much competition experience for this year - I'm thinking he might just tak 4lz out and use the old layouts or a mixture of the two?
He still has the chance to compete at Nationals and Four Continents. Especially a victory at 4CC could be a big confidence booster for him -he has never won that competition before and nearly the whole men's elite will be there. And if he can't win, yeah well, he preserves tradition then.

I don't want to puzzle over possible new layouts. Have done that multiple times this season and got it wrong every single time :p I don't know his success rates regarding 4Lz or 4Lo in practice - Maybe they are way better as they appeared to us in the last competitions and public warm-ups and he won't change anything. Let's wait and see what happens next.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
he is the sweetest!! its not only him though, so many support messages from other skaters including Michal and Maxim, we can fight as much as we want as fans but its great to see skaters as big happy family :agree:

Yep, it's amazing! Skaters are generally supportive and admiring of each other.

Popping in here to say Get Well, Yuzu!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
He still has the chance to compete at Nationals and Four Continents. Especially a victory at 4CC could be a big confidence booster for him -he has never won that competion before and nearly the whole men's elite will be there. And if he can't win, yeah well, he preserves tradition then.
I'm not sure all the top skaters will be there tbh. 4 CC is very close to the Olympics and many choose not to go because of it. For example, last Olympic season neither Yuzu, Daisuke or Tatsuki assisted, and they were the Olympic team.

Kyy

Spectator
Awww. Jason is so sweet~
It's suuuuuuch a relief to hear that Yuzu's injury is not serious. We all know that he'll appear at nationals and surprise us with his performance !!!

giulia95

Medalist
JSF double standard (COC 2014 , a serious life threatining circumstance) toward Yuzu's health is impressive, expecially because 2014 GPF was not that much important, but still they said it was his decision to WD or to skate and he was legally a minor at that time, he took as a minor all the responsability on his shoulders.
Actually we don't really know if Yuzuru agrees with JSF WD statement or not, it happened the same at 2016 J National ( a flu IIRC) and at 2014 FT (injury).
What will happen if by chance Yuzu has to WD from 2017 J National? Is Yuzu's spot at OLYS guaranteed ?Does he need to compete and win at 4CC in this case?

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I really think he should take out 4lz from program. It won't win him olympics but it can definitely loose it and break him
Last year layout is more than enough

yude

Record Breaker
JSF double standard (COC 2014 , a serious life threatining circumstance) toward Yuzu's health is impressive, expecially because 2014 GPF was not that much important, but still they said it was his decision to WD or to skate and he was legally a minor at that time, he took as a minor all the responsability on his shoulders.
Actually we don't really know if Yuzuru agrees with JSF WD statement or not, it happened the same at 2016 J National ( a flu IIRC) and at 2014 FT (injury).
What will happen if by chance Yuzu has to WD from 2017 J National? Is Yuzu's spot at OLYS guaranteed ?Does he need to compete and win at 4CC in this case?

http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data/fck/file/2017/170623_FS_Senkokijun.pdf

This is really confusing sentences to translate, but basically it says when a skater who has the record of finishing within the 3rd place in the past World Championships can not participate in Japanese nationals because of injury or unavoidable circumstances, he/she is a chance to be selected if his/her results meet the criteria of

・top 2 finishers in ISU GPF
・top 3 in Japanese of ISU world standing
・top 3 in Japanese of ISU season world ranking
・top 3 in Japanese of ISU season best score

Yuzuru doesn't go to GPF, but he is the current World Champion and in the good enough ranking, so I'm almost 100% sure he will be selected if they think he will be healthy by the Olympics.

hamaguri

Record Breaker

Some media says he will be qualified even if he can't be at nationals. Now there's a special regulation that they take skaters within 3rd at worlds into consideration. He has enough achievement and there's no doubt about applying this new rule to him😃.
Eta:you're just replied in detail.thanks!

yude

Record Breaker
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASKCB6X9HKCBUTQP03T.html

Jason's comment in the press con after SP

"To compete with Yuzuru in Japan is the best stage for any skater. It was the first time for me to attend the competition without Yuzuru in Japan, I was very sad and I felt something different. Of course, if you get on the ice, you will concentrate on your performance and do your best. However, I had a sad feeling that something was missing. Everyone thinks about him and I want him to recover soon."

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASKCB6X9HKCBUTQP03T.html

Jason's comment in the press con after SP

"To compete with Yuzuru in Japan is the best stage for any skater. It was the first time for me to attend the competition without Yuzuru in Japan, I was very sad and I felt something different. Of course, if you get on the ice, you will concentrate on your performance and do your best. However, I had a sad feeling that something was missing. Everyone thinks about him and I want him to recover soon."

Jason is a ray of sunshine. I am sure Yuzu appreciates everyone's comments wishing him a quick recovery :yes:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm not sure all the top skaters will be there tbh. 4 CC is very close to the Olympics and many choose not to go because of it. For example, last Olympic season neither Yuzu, Daisuke or Tatsuki assisted, and they were the Olympic team.

yes, but I wonder if Yuzuru's path to Olympics would have to be 're-designed' a bit in terms of having more competitions themselves before main events in February. Maybe it won't be about competing with 'big names', but to compete to feel more 'in the right zone'. Either way - it would be great to have a chance to see him at international event before Olympics

Yuii Murasaki

On the Ice
The fact that so many skaters are sending him good wishes makes me so happy. He is such a prominent figure in the sport.
Hopefully, his injury will recover soon and he will come back stronger for Nationals. :pray:

nimi

Medalist
http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data/fck/file/2017/170623_FS_Senkokijun.pdf

This is really confusing sentences to translate, but basically it says when a skater who has the record of finishing within the 3rd place in the past World Championships can not participate in Japanese nationals because of injury or unavoidable circumstances, he/she is a chance to be selected if his/her results meet the criteria of

・top 2 finishers in ISU GPF
・top 3 in Japanese of ISU world standing
・top 3 in Japanese of ISU season world ranking
・top 3 in Japanese of ISU season best score

Yuzuru doesn't go to GPF, but he is the current World Champion and in the good enough ranking, so I'm almost 100% sure he will be selected if they think he will be healthy by the Olympics.
Wasn't there a Fed decision earlier this season that Yuzu and Shoma are confirmed for the Oly team so the performance at Nationals/GP only comes into picture for the rest of the men's field? Or am I remembering wrong? Anybody got some links/input?

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
Jason is right, NHK TROPHY is not the same without Yuzu. :sad21:
I felt really sad for him, and he must have got so frustrated that he cried, that breaks my heart too. But I guess no one will be questioning the decision of withdrawal from NHK trophy. I hope he get over the frustration soon, and move on to the bigger goal.

JuliettaG

On the Ice
Gosh, what a rollercoaster day! I woke up seeing that Yuzu finally WD and I couldn't help but cry:sad21: This is not fair, really. Above all , reading that he cried because of his decision, that it's really heartbreaking.
Now I hope he gets some rest, I know that it'll be hard for him to watch the GPF from home, but I'm glad he and his team are watching the big picture, his health, not even the Olys are important right now.

He's a fighter and he'll fight back with all his might, I know it.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Wasn't there a Fed decision earlier this season that Yuzu and Shoma are confirmed for the Oly team so the performance at Nationals/GP only comes into picture for the rest of the men's field? Or am I remembering wrong? Anybody got some links/input?

No, that was related to making an exception to give Yuzu an automatic bye to Nationals; usually those are only given to the podium finishers at Nationals (seeded skaters), and Yuzu didn't participate in last nationals due to influenza.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Misha's message of support for Yuzu
"Health first for now. Im not worry about him, cause these days difficulties will only make him stronger. It will showed up, later. #PoohBuddy"

Carol Lane's message
"Wishing Yuzuru Hanyu a speedy recovery from that terrible fall yesterday, I don't know how he was able to get up, so brave. It is always a privilege to watch this talented man perform, come back very soon, and fully healed."

Nathan's
"Just heard about Yuzu. Hate to hear about fellow competitors getting injured. Hoping you have a quick recovery!!🙏"

Maia and Alex
"Feel better soon, Yuzu. Sending good vibes for a speedy recovery!"

Zachary Donohue
"Rest well and heal quickly Yuzu! #NHK17"

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Heal well, Hanyu-san, no matter how long it takes. It's sad that he'll miss the GPF at home, but I have a strong feeling he'll turn this into motivation for next season and put out a magical performance when Worlds itself is in his home country. And yes, I hope he gives the 4Lz a rest now. He doesn't need it.