Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 142 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A Chinese Yuzu fan planked for forty minutes to win the Citizen competition and get an autograph :eekn:

Forty. Minutes,

I don't think Citizen really expected anything like that....

Oh, and with his other sponsor Sekkisei? - if you buy $100-odd MIYABI products, you can get a free Yuzu mirror. Yes, lifting the credit card sounds much much easier... :laugh2:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEVi7ehnszb/?utm_source=ig_embed

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzu has made a statement that he will not compete in the GP series this season,
https://twitter.com/megdale1021/status/1299264200909320192?s=20
Partial Translation: https://twitter.com/yuzurugifs/status/1299262452639526918?s=20

It's a thoughtful descision, both for his own health, and to prevent further spread of Covid-19. I'm sad, but I think it was the right choice for him.

I agree. He 's not vain but he knows that, if he appeared and tickets were on sale, people would risk illness to see him. And as I said on the other thread, he's been urging people to be safe and careful, he's decided that whatever the ISU and JSF decide, he will practice what he preaches.

I think we will see him at a competition or two later in the season, as he only a few days ago mentioned the 4A he wants. But the risk, for someone like Yuzu, is just not worth it.

I'm impressed that he didn't wait for the ISU or JSF but announced it now, so that they can't try and sell tickets in his name.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Understandable but still sad. I guess we need to wait till Nationals to see his new programs? -_-

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We may not even find out what they are till then!!!! :cry:

All we know is that he did pick out pieces he thought were him late last year but didn't have time to work them up before 4CC - which he now admits he was not comfortable going to but felt obligated (and yes, got his super slam with the gold). I think his sense of duty made him preempt the ISU's decision, both by not leaving it till they allocated a place and forewarning fans that buying up tickets on the offchance he would be at this or that GP (as they did every year) is a bad idea.

Fourleaf Clover

Rinkside
Country
Philippines
As his fan for many years, I'm so happy that he's more careful with his health nowadays. I used grit my teeth everytime he skate and risk his own well-being because of his competitive nature like what happened in Worlds 2012, COC 2014 and many, many more.
My heart is safe from Hanyu-induced stress (as of now).

CarolPooh

Rinkside
As his fan for many years, I'm so happy that he's more careful with his health nowadays. I used grit my teeth everytime he skate and risk his own well-being because of his competitive nature like what happened in Worlds 2012, COC 2014 and many, many more.
My heart is safe from Hanyu-induced stress (as of now).

Yes, he is more mature and considers more about his health mow. However, I think this time, the impact of Coronavirus is much more serious than just competing injured, as it affects all the people around him and the countries he travels to or stays in.

Half of me is sad of not seeing him soon, but the other half is glad that he can stay healthy. And I admire him greatly on his decision and how comprehensive his statement is.

yude

Record Breaker
Rough translation of Yuzuru's statment.

https://hochi.news/articles/20200828-OHT1T50166.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Regarding the relationship between Covid-19 and bronchial asthma, it is difficult to judge because there is no corroborative evidence and there is not enough information. But when a person with a primary respiratory disease suffers from Covid-19, there is also information that his/her condition is easy to get serious, so I would like to act as carefully as possible. Also, regardless of bronchial asthma, it is necessary to carefully consider the behavior because some athletes are affected by the virus and their aftermath makes the athlete's activities difficult.

It is expected that it will be difficult at this stage for coach Orser living in Canada to come to Japan to accompany in a competition in Japan. On the other hand, if I participate in a game in Canada from Japan, I need to be self-isolated for two weeks after entering Canada. During that period, no skating activities such as practice will be possible, and the skaters will not be able to compete in perfect condition.

My movement in this Covid crisis may cause many people to travel and gather, which may increase the risk of infection. The pace of increase in the number of infected people in the world is not slowing down, and I think that it should not be the opportunity to spread the infection. If I try to suppress myself and make an effort to prevent the spread of infection, it can be one of the activities to prevent the spread of infection.

It is very unfortunate, but for the above reasons, I decided to miss this season's ISU Grand Prix series. I hope that Covid-19 will be fully contained as soon as possible."

I miss and will miss you, Yuzuru :sad21: But stay healthy :pray:

Wynter

On the Ice
I am so proud of him for making this decision.

Just several days ago he wanted us to take action to reduce the virus spread and today he took action to make the words came true.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It wouldn't have been easy - especially not as he had to be the first to speak up - but his concern for others as well as himself is more than proven throughout his life, and is clearly a part of the decision. Yuzu may be older and wiser, but he has shown time and time again that if it's just a risk to him, he's far more likely to take it.

What happened at 4CC clearly made a bad impression on him - no fault of the Koreans, but he must have been so aware every minute of the danger to everyone. And the long-term effects on even young and healthy people are just starting to be taken seriously. I worry that in 5-10 years, a lot of people who thought it was minor are going to find out they had permanent damage and didn't know it.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I hope it's not streamed honestly. Graduation ceremonies are usually not public.

Congratulations to him btw :cheer: