Yuzuru Hanyu: 2021-22 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2021-22

Matthew

On the Ice
Yes, as an artist I love how he is chasing after the ideal programs over ideal scores (I mean, in an ideal world, the ideal scores would follow the ideal programs, but whatever)
I wonder that you - as an artist - say this. For, often, Hanyu isn't very "artistic" in his performances, but rather technical. By "artistic" I mean that which makes e.g. a ballet performance an art and not a mere sport. It's called "transcending" which does this. The performer has to transcend the pure movements by making a work of art from them.
E.g. in the last 4CC, Hanyu was really artistic in the meaning described above (I think it was the FS), but not in the 2021 world championships (to give an example). But last weekend, yes, transcending took place to a large part. Hanyu's performances were quite artistic.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION ๐Ÿ”ฅ
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am rather surprised when I checked the prediction games that only a few predicted Yuzu to win. But hella boy he proved them wrong๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
I always love looking at the predictions. Late on Dec. 24, I did a tally, and what I found for the prediction for the gold was: Yuma 40 people, Shoma 39, Mr. Hanyu 37. There were a few more posts after that I think, so I'm not sure what the final numbers came out as. To me, that showed that people all across the board really didn't know what to think.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
which I believe to mean that his injury is not fully healed (by fully healed I don't mean back to perfect shape, they will never, like many other skaters' injuries).

I could tell watching him skate the gala last night. Ankle. Ankle. Couldn't hold his landings but nothing can keep him from having stunning rotations in the air. He was having a ball, no matter what.

34a9bf08455eeaa7d5742e35b4fbdb988482913e.jpg

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I wonder that you - as an artist - say this. For, often, Hanyu isn't very "artistic" in his performances, but rather technical. By "artistic" I mean that which makes e.g. a ballet performance an art and not a mere sport. It's called "transcending" which does this. The performer has to transcend the pure movements by making a work of art from them.
E.g. in the last 4CC, Hanyu was really artistic in the meaning described above (I think it was the FS), but not in the 2021 world championships (to give an example). But last weekend, yes, transcending took place to a large part. Hanyu's performances were quite artistic.
You probably mean his Free program at Stockholm? He had a crisis of asthma an hour before (Russian team doctor was called because the Japanese team doctor was a traumatologist) and I just don't know how he managed to land/save all his jumps. It was of course less artistic than he usually skates his programs. He is precisely the one skater who managed to transcend skating technique through utter excellence and vision, and if this notion is what you are searching, 4CC Chopin is of course a great example but there are so many others because this is his usual skates. Months if not years of enchanted pleasure await you, Even his practices are often quite artistic.

pianistliz

On the Ice
You probably mean his Free program at Stockholm? He had a crisis of asthma an hour before (Russian team doctor was called because the Japanese team doctor was a traumatologist) and I just don't know how he managed to land/save all his jumps. It was of course less artistic than he usually skates his programs. He is precisely the one skater who managed to transcend skating technique through utter excellence and vision, and if this notion is what you are searching, 4CC Chopin is of course a great example but there are so many others because this is his usual skates. Months if not years of enchanted pleasure await you, Even his practices are often quite artistic.
I agree with this. Before my concerts, I often turn to his Rostelecom 2018 SP to get me in the zone. Other inspiring performances that feed me as an artist: 2012 worlds FS, 2014 Olympic SP, 2015 WTT FS, 2015 NHK and 2018 Olympic FS, 2017 worlds FS, a bunch of Chopins (top 3 would be 2020FCC, 2018 Olympics, 2017 Autumn Classic), 2019 worlds and Skate Canada FS, 2020 Nationals SP and FS, 2021 worlds SP, 2021 WTT Sp and FS, and now 2021 Nationals SP and FS. Plus a bunch of his exhibitions, of course.

I also love his quote that a solid technique is the foundation of artistry. I 100% agree. There are pure technicians out there who lack inspiration, and there are innately musical musicians/artists who lack technical prowess. If you want to be a genius at your craft though, you need 1) artistic inspiration, something unique/deep to express AND 2) the physical means to effortlessly express everything in your head (aka technique). I practice all my scales, arpeggios, etc with different touches, moods, dynamics, phrasing, articulation, etc so I can easily draw on those in the pieces I play and express everything I want, and I admire and draw inspiration from Hanyu who seems to have a similar philosophy (watching him do strokes/crossovers is an EXPERIENCE, not a mere technical exercise).

pianistliz

On the Ice
It's a good week to be a Hanyu fan whil Phil Hersh writes a non-backhanded compliment, and The Skating Lesson excitedly discusses how Team Japan could win more than the bronze and that Hanyu can win the Olympics (they think if he just does the quad loop, he'll likely win), force the judges to give him all the points and force Nathan to be perfect, which they aren't sure he'd be after clean Hanyu at the Olympics. They said "he's in this!" I mean, he was never not in this, but I'll take it! :) These are the same people whose only thoughts after Hanyu's world-record 2017 FS were literally "he didn't do a SP" (speaking of his one mistake on the combo) and "get a better costume."

Matthew

On the Ice
No, I'm sorry, but he has often skated very technical during last years. Often, he's also rather kitschy than artistical. But I don't want to open this discussion, here. Tastes are different and not all people, i.e. many people, don't know what art is and don't demand it from skaters.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I agree with this. Before my concerts, I often turn to his Rostelecom 2018 SP to get me in the zone. Other inspiring performances that feed me as an artist: 2012 worlds FS, 2014 Olympic SP, 2015 WTT FS, 2015 NHK and 2018 Olympic FS, 2017 worlds FS, a bunch of Chopins (top 3 would be 2020FCC, 2018 Olympics, 2017 Autumn Classic), 2019 worlds and Skate Canada FS, 2020 Nationals SP and FS, 2021 worlds SP, 2021 WTT Sp and FS, and now 2021 Nationals SP and FS. Plus a bunch of his exhibitions, of course.

I also love his quote that a solid technique is the foundation of artistry. I 100% agree. There are pure technicians out there who lack inspiration, and there are innately musical musicians/artists who lack technical prowess. If you want to be a genius at your craft though, you need 1) artistic inspiration, something unique/deep to express AND 2) the physical means to effortlessly express everything in your head (aka technique). I practice all my scales, arpeggios, etc with different touches, moods, dynamics, phrasing, articulation, etc so I can easily draw on those in the pieces I play and express everything I want, and I admire and draw inspiration from Hanyu who seems to have a similar philosophy (watching him do strokes/crossovers is an EXPERIENCE, not a mere technical exercise).
Thank you for the tip of ACI 2017. I think I haven't watched it yet. ๐Ÿคฉ
What do you think of GPF 2019 Origin? At first I was a bit confused but it has grown on me and now I love to watch its epic quality. There are not as many transitions as in his other Origin interpretations but there is something more. In fact it tells a different story. I see it as an illustration of the famous say : "Fate whispers to the warrior : you cannot withstand the storm. The warrior whispers back : I am the storm." I love too, the relation between his skate and the music (IIRC it was a new version, without that passage a bit empty) which evokes a sort of tempo rubato, only a skater who always makes one with the music, like him, could have got such a result.
And his making one with the music IMO results as much from an inner ability and attraction, as witnessed by his first coaches, as from his will. And his is a very strong will. ๐Ÿ˜
Speaking of his technique and of scales, I was in wonder with the one he got at TCC and loved to watch the first warming exercises in open practice when it was filmed, but now he's far above โ€” as if it was possible. (Someone should tell him that his skating skills are not humanly possible, preferably without adding that nobody would skate so well while this someone's alive. ๐Ÿ˜‡ ) I just can't see his minute moves which get his blades such precise impulses and trying to imagine them bewilders me. A very pleasant impression by the way.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Often, he's also rather kitschy than artistical. But I don't want to open this discussion, here. Tastes are different and not all people, i.e. many people, don't know what art is and don't demand it from skaters.

But you did open it, beginning with the word kitschy.

As for knowing what art is, I was raised by an artist - painter and professional singer. My grandmother was a pianist and I sing and dance but not professionally. I'm not attracted to the stage - just the creative expression. I think you might be projecting onto others your own weakness in the understanding of what constitutes art - it's quite broad in scope. Not narrow. The expression of creative skill and imagination knows no bounds. That is art. Now, whether one likes someone's expression is another story. Just because you don't like a person's expression of their creative skill, doesn't deny its classification as art. I might not be fond of Picasso's expression but it is, in fact, art.

pianistliz

On the Ice
No, I'm sorry, but he has often skated very technical during last years. Often, he's also rather kitschy than artistical. But I don't want to open this discussion, here. Tastes are different and not all people, i.e. many people, don't know what art is and don't demand it from skaters.
Last time I'll comment on this subject but, as a pianist (trained in classical, jazz, and pop) who's performed on world-class stages with world-class musicians and toured the US and Germany, I don't usually get obsessed with or inspired by mediocre attempts at artistry. And I've seen many very talented visual artists online who use Yuzuru Hanyu as their muse. I've also read quotes by Japanese musicians who work with Yuzu in ice shows who say how incredibly musical, artistic, and easy to collaborate with he is. (Side note: a dream of mine would be to collaborate with Yuzuru Hanyu in an ice show...OMG...but no one in Japan knows who I am so that'll never happen lol)

But of course some performances are better than others. For me, his artistry was (for him) noticeably below par for his worlds 2021 fs (of course, b/c of the asthma attack beforehand, while the other 3 performances of Heaven and Earth were really beautiful) and (to answer your question @DizzyFrenchie) 2019 GPF, where he succeeded in landing 5 quads for the first time but was too exhausted to do his 3A-3A at the end. He mentioned himself in an interview afterwards that he had been more focused on landing the 5 quads/getting through the technical content successfully, and that b/c of that, he ended up not focused as much on the artistry, which disappointed him. Totally understandable since it was literally his first run through ever with 5 quads, but I felt the artistic side of his skate took a backseat that time.
On the other hand, I have rewatched the first part of that skate many times because of his elusive yet GORGEOUS quad lutz <3 And it's still quality skating with beautiful lines and elegance, even if it doesn't make me feel as artistically invested as other performances.