Zagitova edges out Medvedeva for Oly Gold | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Zagitova edges out Medvedeva for Oly Gold

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to the two Russians and Osmond!!! :clap:

Zagitova was technically the strongest so the gold is deserved even if artistically she's not the greatest OGM and whether you like her or not you have to respect her athleticism.

While I feel bad for Medvedeva she gave it a good go but just wasn't her usual sharpness and even artistically I was more engaged by Zags. But this should be a great rivalry.

Miyahara and Sakamoto were also superb too!

nycgirl

Spectator
Country
Antigua-and-Barbuda
The top 3 were outstanding. I hope all three will continue for at least two more years. Also, Dabin Choi was fantastic. IMHO these Olympics were the best that I have seen. Epic performances. :agree:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The top 3 were outstanding. I hope all three will continue for at least two more years. Also, Dabin Choi was fantastic. IMHO these Olympics were the best that I have seen. Epic performances. :agree:

Da-bin slayed!!! She’s been all over the place since I started watching her but that was probably the best I’ve ever seen her perform. So glad she could have a moment like that. Something she will never forget and certainly a performance that will inspire others.

Glad you enjoyed the Olympics so much. I agree with you about the epic performances too. :yahoo:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congratulations Zagitova on winning the first ever Olympic gold medal for the Independent Olympians at the winter Olympic Games!!!!! :clap:

That was a technically superb performance, especially adding the 3L onto that second 3Z. What a competitor. I know people are upset that Medvedeva got edged out, but she really was the best of the field overall, and did literally everything she could and needed to do to win. I was expecting a bigger reaction the moment she won, but it was nice to see her jump for joy on the podium and finally let the pressure off. Well deserved win. :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Alina was great last night. Eteri's pupils are all so well trained. That Alina could recognize the 3-3 wasn't going to happen and making a split second decision to salvage the lutz and execute it reasonably well was so impressive. She could have easily panicked and stepped out of the jump, which would have likely costed her the gold medal.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Tatiana Tarasova was crying (bowling actually) last night on russian TV,
saying how much Medvedeva deserved to win and that the judges were wrong, and how they should have given it to her.
I don't think I ever heard Tarasova speaking like this about anyone.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I find it a bit rich for Tarasova of all people to be crying and saying judges should be giving it to the more "deserving" skater.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Congratulations Alina. I really do wonder if she'll get the same sort of programs in the next season, with backloading. I really want to see her branch out more, to see how she'll handle different styles of music. Personally I preferred her programs at the European Championships over the Olympics. One could see that she was a bit nervous, but nevertheless she did her best.

And I wish for Evgenia to go back to her Leftovers program next season. :agree:

I find it a bit rich for Tarasova of all people to be crying and saying judges should be giving it to the more "deserving" skater.

Tarasova is a bit of a political hypocrite.

Having said that, I read the Raf interview about Nathan Chen. https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/vaytskekhovskayas-interview-with-arutyunyan.103449/

He says here:
EV: More like I really wanted them to
RA: Me too. But when Tessa and Scott won I had a bad aftertaste. Because Papadakis/Cizeron skated equally well. But they lost. Because there is only one Olympic gold. It's the same here. I can name one athlete but deep down I'll feel bad not naming the other. It would be easier if Medvedeva and Zagitova didn't skate at all. I would then give the gold to Evgenia

EV: Why?
RA: Because she worked towards it for so long. I respect the athletes' work. I like people who go to their goal for a long time.
EV: Like Aljona Savchenko?
RA: Like Aljona Savchenko. I think her victory changed the way all the skaters treat what they do. It's very important being reminded from time to time the hard work will be rewarded. That was the reason I so wanted Tessa and Scott to win.

I wonder how much of this is just a coach thing.

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Tatiana Anatolyevna speaking the truth!! God bless her. Medvedeva not winning is an incredibly unfortunate turn of events and not sound judging IMO. Zhenya is a far more complete skater than Alina and I would expect to see that rewarded. Let's also mention how Zagitova's PCS have risen exponentially since October despite performing the identical program with no significant improvements. Her artistry is not on the level of her technical elements, despite her PCS being fixed and manipulated to achieve the desired result. Unfortunately for the corrupt folks who have given Zagitova this medal, the wool cannot be pulled over my eyes. This result will never be OK.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Who exactly is lobbying for Alina over Evgenia? Not only are they from the same country, they are coached by the same team. Perhaps the judges evaluated and marked the programs based on what the skaters did on the ice.

Oh lord this is the 4-year long controversy we have to deal with now, isn't it? :palmf:

And it's not even a controversial one.