2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program 11/14 | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program 11/14

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
But what did Max and Jason do that was so "superior" to Voronov? What did they have, in those particular performances, to make up for the technical deficit?

I try to explain with my bad english: the style, the dance, the sophisticated movements, postures, the sincerity, the strength of the movements, the strength that comes from within and not from without, elasticity

makaihime

Final Flight
But where's the rage at the other poster's "Russian-bashing"?

Don't you know? That's all the rage these days. Blame the Russians/discredit the Russians/hate on everything Russian and its :thumbsup: but for for goodness sakes! Don't bad mouth other culture's/skaters cause that would be rude and disrespectful. :drama:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh for the love of GOD. Stop the American bashing. It's beyond annoying. Should I say that putting a sour puss face on and waving your arms about Oh Doh So Dramatically while skating to classical music overlaid with a Eurodisco beat makes it some kind of "Russian" artistic masterpiece? Because if you want to reduce things down to a cultural cliche, we can all play that game. It's just a very tedious one.

Disagree that gallavich was American-bashing.

If anything, gallavich was responding to what could be interpreted as Russian-bashing from a die-hard Jason fan.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Eh, guys. Can we just agree to disagree and have a snowball fight? You all need to go outside!!!

Okay, it's not snowing. It's just cold. But get out in the fresh cold air. Fresh air into the lungs AAAHHHHHH...

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
But where's the rage at the other poster's "Russian-bashing"?

Because the original poster wasn't Russian bashing. She/he was simply pointing out that there are distinct differences between a balletic style (which actually is European, not specifically Russian) and a modern style (and modern dance did originate in the States, as did tap and jazz and hip hop). I am not familiar with any Russian modern dance companies, but believe me, I have the ticket stubs from enough American modern dance companies to fill a small chest.

centerpt1

On the Ice
the style, the dance, the sophisticated movements, postures, the sincerity,

I can think of several Men who showed this today....but not Jason or Max, unfortunately. Ten,Ge, Kozuka-yes.

Jason still looks inauthentic and smarmy as ever to me. I really think a new choreographer would help a lot.

Max is not a dancer, but he does the best he can with what he has and tries to emphasize his strengths.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Because the original poster wasn't Russian bashing. She/he was simply pointing out that there are distinct differences between a balletic style (which actually is European, not specifically Russian) and a modern style (and modern dance did originate in the States, as did tap and jazz and hip hop). I am not familiar with any Russian modern dance companies, but believe me, I have the ticket stubs from enough American modern dance companies to fill a small chest.

Yes, she seem to have more problem with Voronov's style (or lack of, I guess) not so much because he's Russian.

And I do feel it's unfair that just cause Jason didn't have a great technical performance here that suddenly his style has been reduced to smiles and suspenders. He still DID perform, for heavens sake.

But again, De gustibus non est disputandum.

Best of luck to everyone in the free!

Jason still looks inauthentic and smarmy as ever to me. I really think a new choreographer would help a lot.

Well I guess, Jason should be thankful that you weren't actually on the judges panel. :laugh:

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Disagree that gallavich was American-bashing.

If anything, gallavich was responding to what could be interpreted as Russian-bashing from a die-hard Jason fan.

I am American. Where did that come from...wow!:confused::slink:

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker

But gallavich wasn't American-bashing. He/she was simply pointing out that Max's SP wasn't exactly an artistic masterpiece (an assertion that is uncontroversial, looking at all the comments posted about Max's SP on this board and others).

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
And: the modern dance exists in Europe (France, Netherland, Sweden, England ecc.) Russia isn't Europa!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And just for the record, I really loved Voronov's SP today. And Jason had what was probably his first truly meh performance today since he's become a senior skater. What the [word I can't say here because it will just show up as red stars] does that have to do with nationality??? Frankly, I think the best thing skating could do is get rid of nationality and just let every skater/team skate as individual entities. It would solve a whole BOATLOAD of issues.

But that's another thread. Heck, it may even be its own bolt of cloth.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I try to explain with my bad english: the style, the dance, the sophisticated movements, postures, the sincerity, the strength of the movements, the strength that comes from within and not from without, elasticity
None of these things were showcased in Max or Jason's performances on this particular day (or evening, where they were). I wondered if Max had actually forgotten his choreography--that's how lost he looked in between the quad and the axel. As for Jason, his performance was sadly marred by his mistakes--including on elements he usually nails (no 'tano, messed up spin, ect.).

Again, I like both American boys more than I like Voronov. But to suggest they were better than him in this particular competition is incomprehensible to me.

lyndichee

Medalist
I get it. Different points of view. Long ago I stopped doing rhythmic gymnastics because it stopped to an art but has become acrobatics only for the score. I started to watch a figure skating 1 year ago because I saw the program of Jason. I thought there was a change in the sport. Ok, I got a quad that is more than triple for the score. But ... if someone jumps two quads in his program but his fingers like a hedgehog and has posture of Quasimodo can win? This means figure skating? If so and I go back to see dance on stage.

Jason Brown - 39.06 PCS
Sergei Voronov - 40.25 PCS

They only differed on one point in PCS. You can talk about the artistic performance all you want but PCS also takes into account execution and Sergei executed better jumps.

Jason - 37.26 TES
Sergei - 50.08 TES

He performed his technical content better. This isn't some discussion about art; objectively he performed better. Now stop.

auser

Record Breaker
Eh, guys. Can we just agree to disagree and have a snowball fight? You all need to go outside!!!

Okay, it's not snowing. It's just cold. But get out in the fresh cold air. Fresh air into the lungs AAAHHHHHH...

Or please could you bash California with the snowballs? It might help the drought:biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Or please could you bash California with the snowballs? It might help the drought:biggrin:

Oh...that's a great idea! You guys do need it!

Apparently it was supposed to snow in the PNW, but the weather folks were like =-- JUST KIDDING!