2015 Four Continents Free Dance Feb 13 Seoul time | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Free Dance Feb 13 Seoul time

slider11

Medalist
Overall, I think the ice dance podium is just. However, I think the Shibs had the biggest victory. Weaver and Poje hung on to their dominance and scored well in the free. Chock and Bates had a very respectable 105 but were clearly disappointed that they didn't get first. The Shibs 101 was the best of the season. It may have been in the 103 range if Alex hadn't messed the twizzles. Someone mentioned that Maia sparkled and Alex seemed off overall. I think I agree with that. I think the big message the judges are saying to the Shibs is "Go out there and give us a 'perfect' program and we're inclined to reward in the 105 range." That could very well make them Worlds podium material. Maia and Alex are fun loving but quiet and very smart skaters. I think there is still time to make a mark for this year. It will be interesting to see if Marina still fits into the equation for next.
Yes. Despite a third place finish and being firmly placed behind Madison and Evan overall, the Shib Sibs are figuring it out and learning how to grow. To get into the 170+ range (total score) tells you that the judges are appreciating them as a team. Despite the error, i thought it was their strongest outing this season.

Barb

Record Breaker
I completely disagree with you. I find this program to be a brilliant expression of the music — more than any other FD out there this year this choreography could not be skated to any other piece of music. To try to claim that it is not choreographed to the music is just not watching the program. And of course it's choreographed to win. Everybody's dance is choreographed to win. This is a competitive sport. But back to artistic merits....I don't think it's self-important or self-conscious at all. I think W/P skate it with freedom that looks totally organic. That said, I doubt I'm going to change you mind. Maybe it's one of those things you either see one way or another.

My benchmark is this: win or lose, I always enjoy watching this piece performed, because it gives me chills down my spine and seems to go by in an instant, leaving me wanting more. I only wish there was more choreography of this callibre.

i understand what people try to say about w/p program. it is the obvious route, but it is ok, d/w did the typical to win program "sherezade", elena and ruslan "carmen", not the original carmen like v/m. w/p have done wonderful programs before, they deserve the program to win now. I love their FD. The first time I watched it, I thought why Shibs cant to have a program like this?.

Last edited:

beabstress

On the Ice
i understand what people try to say about w/p program. it is the obvious route, but it is ok, d/w did the typical to win sherezade, elena and ruslan carmen, not the original carmen like v/m. w/p have done winderful programs before, they deserve the program to win now. I love their FD. The first time I saw it, I thouht why Shibs cant to have a program like this?.

Exactly! With the exception of the face caress and embrace at the end, there's nothing overtly romantic going on here. The Shibutanis could certainly do something like that!

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
You say you don’t think Charlie is a leader, but that’s because you don’t know Charlie at all. He leads through quiet authority. I think he'd make a great coach. Granted he is not a brash, in-your-face, loudmouth, but as soft-spoken and mellow as he is, he has been the undisputed leader of the rink where he trained. He also has a lot of influence in the production of the team’s music since he is the one who does the initial music cuts. One day at the rink, I watched him train his mother’s new puppy, (that she was having trouble controlling when she brought the puppy to the rink), to sit and obey in less than 30 minutes during an ice break. Hilarious to watch.

Pretty cute history about the puppy.

While I doubt Charlie´s talent as a choreographer, I do believe he can be a great coach.

The fact that he has been the lider of the rink was very clear since years ago, even for fans that just read the reports, specially from the time when Igor and Marina broke apart.

slider11

Medalist
I actually liked all three couple's costumes. I thought Weaver and Poje captured...well, the 4 seasons. The rouching or whatever it is on Andrew's shirt is strange but he can carry just about anything. The big picture of sun and dark is appropriate. I don't mind Chock and Bates choice of the red and blue. I do think rather than modern I thought Evan looked like a space man and Madison just looked like she had on a pretty maroon dress but nothing special. I wonder if they will go back to the black and white. I actually preferred Maia's former deeper periwinkle dress. Both are similar with the lacey, sparkley design. I didn't notice the back bunching but I will take a look. Marina loves a guy in a tux and I think Alex looked great.

slider11

Medalist
I have to agree that the little finger jive dance breaks the mood. Kaitlin was ready to give Jean-Luc a hug at the end of Nationals and he was the one to break into that. But this time it was Kaitlin. I think this is maturity and just getting used to the big stage. Hopefully their coaches will catch this and prompt them with the appropriate way to respond to your partner and keep the mood in tact.
I adore Kaitlin and Jean-Luc. I love everything about them except I wish she wouldn't do that yeah, we did it thing after the program ends. Their programs really set a mood and I'm still in it as it ends. Her thing with the fingers calls an abrupt halt to it.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I completely disagree with you. I find this program to be a brilliant expression of the music — more than any other FD out there this year this choreography could not be skated to any other piece of music. To try to claim that it is not choreographed to the music is just not watching the program. And of course it's choreographed to win. Everybody's dance is choreographed to win. This is a competitive sport. But back to artistic merits....I don't think it's self-important or self-conscious at all. I think W/P skate it with freedom that looks totally organic. That said, I doubt I'm going to change you mind. Maybe it's one of those things you either see one way or another.

My benchmark is this: win or lose, I always enjoy watching this piece performed, because it gives me chills down my spine and seems to go by in an instant, leaving me wanting more. I only wish there was more choreography of this callibre.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

ETA: And I miss C/B's black and white costumes, which were so much more chic and sophisticated. Evan has tight curly hair. I think gelling it back has the opposite effect of what he may have intended: it draws attention to the fact that it is being gelled back. Sometimes it's best to just go with what nature gives ya, you know?

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Overall, I think the ice dance podium is just. However, I think the Shibs had the biggest victory. Weaver and Poje hung on to their dominance and scored well in the free. Chock and Bates had a very respectable 105 but were clearly disappointed that they didn't get first. The Shibs 101 was the best of the season. It may have been in the 103 range if Alex hadn't messed the twizzles. Someone mentioned that Maia sparkled and Alex seemed off overall. I think I agree with that. I think the big message the judges are saying to the Shibs is "Go out there and give us a 'perfect' program and we're inclined to reward in the 105 range." That could very well make them Worlds podium material. Maia and Alex are fun loving but quiet and very smart skaters. I think there is still time to make a mark for this year. It will be interesting to see if Marina still fits into the equation for next.

Taking a look at the protocals, they lost about 1 point on levels, plus at least a point in +GOE. So you are correct that the score would have been in the +GOE range.

Not apples-to-apples, and yes you can't directly compare competitions, FWIW:

Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 101.89 50.50 51.39 8.61 8.25 8.64 8.64 8.68 (Euros)
Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 101.14 49.16 51.98 8.68 8.25 8.71 8.86 8.82 (4CC)

I don't think it's in surmountable for them to finish ahead of C/L, even though they are the reigning world champions. I think Elena and Ruslan will be tough competition as well since they also got 69+ in the short dance. Their FD best this season is 96+ from Rostelecom.

In any case, the Shibs look good for a top 6 finish at least and could even sneak in top 4 or 5, which would be the best finish for them since 2011.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
You say you don’t think Charlie is a leader, but that’s because you don’t know Charlie at all. He leads through quiet authority. I think he'd make a great coach. Granted he is not a brash, in-your-face, loudmouth, but as soft-spoken and mellow as he is, he has been the undisputed leader of the rink where he trained. He also has a lot of influence in the production of the team’s music since he is the one who does the initial music cuts. One day at the rink, I watched him train his mother’s new puppy, (that she was having trouble controlling when she brought the puppy to the rink), to sit and obey in less than 30 minutes during an ice break. Hilarious to watch.

Thank you for the story. I'm not surprised he's got an ear for music--he's a classically trained musician! And his cut of Scheherazade was brilliant. If you don't hear it, just compare how seamless it is at fusing together all the various cuts with the heavyhanded mishmash Igor's team made with the Romeo & Juliet piece they forced together for Guignard/Fabri last year. I don't think it is any coincidence that the Shibs are back on the right track and that they started working this year with Scali and Charlie. I just hope they continue to all keep working together next year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you for the story. I'm not surprised he's got an ear for music--he's a classically trained musician! And his cut of Scheherazade was brilliant. If you don't hear it, just compare how seamless it is at fusing together all the various cuts with the heavyhanded mishmash Igor's team made with the Romeo & Juliet piece they forced together for Guignard/Fabri last year. I don't think it is any coincidence that the Shibs are back on the right track and that they started working this year with Scali and Charlie. I just hope they continue to all keep working together next year.

Leader =/= stern taskmaster. Charlie's personality is very reminiscent of Alan Mulally, the retired CEO of Ford. Everyone in the Detroit's auto world thought Mulally was dumb when he first arrived to the job because he was so good natured and friendly. But he's the one that help turn Ford around from its dark days.

From this article (http://archive.fortune.com/2009/05/11/news/companies/mulally_ford.fortune/index.htm)

It's difficult to imagine the reaction of hard-bitten Ford executives to Mulally's arrival. Sharp elbows, fierce loyalties, and frequent turf battles were hallmarks of Ford's management culture: The tough guys won. Despite nearly 40 years in the commercial airplane business - one of the most international of industries - Mulally looks as if he had just left his home state of Kansas. He dresses like a Boy Scout leader - blue blazer, button-down shirt, kiltie loafers - and his open-mouth smile makes him appear bemused or even a bit puzzled by what goes on around him. That corn-fed sincerity, however, masks confidence, discipline, and a fierce desire to win.

You can apply a lot of this to Charlie. :)

(Detroit reference = 1 point for Mrs. P :laugh:)

In all seriousness, I can see Charlie's work best in the Shibs step sequence in the SD. That is where the money is. And I believe Scali was the one who had the heavy hand in the SD choreo.

Last edited:

Astrid56

Final Flight
I prefer Evan's black costume and I like the color of Madison's new costume. The black with wine-red would match perfectly and elegantly. I love how their FD was choreographed to the music but, obviously, the sophistication of this number didn't appeal to most of the judges. WP's FD looked like a mishmash of different very 'Shaelynn' movements. Were the movements symbolic of the different seasons/moods? Nope! But they were effectively put together to create appealing images. The Shibs did a wonderful job with their FD but, again, it was a bit lackluster - lacking the vitality that the number required. I didn't get that freedom, the joyous surrender ... the heady moments of dancing ... Nada! I sensed the need to be always graceful ... always in the right pose but not embracing the joy of being in the moment. I think, Zueva is a good choreographer but her choreography/style would suit the VM, DW, GG and even CB best. Anyway, I guess I am partial to theatre and dance that I'm not feeling the numbers/performances. Of the three, the silver medalists fulfilled my expectations in terms of musicality, choreography, costume (though I still prefer Evan's black costume) but I am a minority in this group. I get the ice-dancing elements have to be incorporated to meet the requirements but most of this season's performances _ artistry-wise_ a blah. Even the French, love the FD choreography but the costumes? Nah! The Russians' - garish and inordinately emotional but I love the girl's FD costume and I love the music.

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think Worlds will be:
1) W/P. SD mistakes here aside and that the judges love the the French team, W/P were 2nd last year and the judges aren't going to give the first place slot to a French team that placed 13th last year at Worlds #1 here. It would be completely unprecedented, and W/P have proven their consistency throughout the years
2) P/C- I think they're better than C/B and they're definitely riding the momentum with their FD
3) C/B- despite me not loving their programs this year, I don't think the Italians have what it takes to beat them
4) C/L- weak programs this year but their FD has drastically improved from COC and given that they are supposed to be the defending champions, judges will be generous
5) Shibs- they will deserve to be in 4th but if the Italians skate relatively well I think the judges will have more of an interest putting the former World Champs ahead of them

We can all collectively agree that this would make an amazing final group to see compete. :clap:

Sackie

Medalist
I wouldn't rule out at least 1 of the RUS teams making it into the final group after the short Dance come worlds and staying there with an OK free. It is hard to tell how things will go at worlds since the scores here were not as inflated as they were at Europeans especially for those out of the medals.

beki

Medalist
I adore Kaitlin and Jean-Luc. I love everything about them except I wish she wouldn't do that yeah, we did it thing after the program ends. Their programs really set a mood and I'm still in it as it ends. Her thing with the fingers calls an abrupt halt to it.

I had the same reaction.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wouldn't rule out at least 1 of the RUS teams making it into the final group after the short Dance come worlds and staying there with an OK free. It is hard to tell how things will go at worlds since the scores here were not as inflated as they were at Europeans especially for those out of the medals.

I think Illynkh/Zhiganshin are definitely contenders for the final group and top 5 status, along with Weaver/Poje, Papadakis/Cizeron, Chock/Bates, Cappellini/Lanotte and the Shibutanis. Their FD has scored all over the place, but Euros was unfortunate error.

Gilles and Poirier could sneak into top 5 or 6 since their levels have been pretty good this season.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
I uploaded the top 3 FD's of Eurosport2 HD coverage:

Weaver/Poje FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)
Chock/Bates FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)
Shibutani's FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)

They weren't too hot on Weaver/Poje's FD -- said Kaitlyn's dress was distracting, and Andrew's outfit in combination didn't jive as a couple. "Not a perfect routine", and they thought W/P will not stack up against P/C at Worlds...

Thanks Sabinfire! Quick question, has there been other Eurosport videos for this competition yet?

kresslia

Medalist
I uploaded the top 3 FD's of Eurosport2 HD coverage:

Weaver/Poje FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)
Chock/Bates FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)
Shibutani's FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)

They weren't too hot on Weaver/Poje's FD -- said Kaitlyn's dress was distracting, and Andrew's outfit in combination didn't jive as a couple. "Not a perfect routine", and they thought W/P will not stack up against P/C at Worlds...
I don't think they're fans of W/P in general because they were negative during the GPF too.