2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Men's Free Skate Feb 13 Seoul Time

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh karne...

(not gonna lie, reading the threads is almost as much fun as watching thecompetitions.)

Karne is absolutely right, so I hope you are agreeing with her. Not one skater skating now, not even the Blessed Yuzu, is among the greatest of all time.

I did not have the privilege of seeing Mr. Buttons skate. But I did watch Robin Cousins, John Curry, and of course the incomparable Toller. We can now say they were among the greatest.

Maybe, 30 years from now when I can no longer see a computer if I am still on this earth, one of our skaters today will be the greatest of all time. But not now. Not yet.

/stepping down...

whatif

Medalist
So basically, Jason Brown should just hope that the real jumpers fail to get any chance. Yes, please Jason, do not give up.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So basically, Jason Brown should just hope that the real jumpers fail to get any chance. Yes, please Jason, do not give up.

That's not what I said. He's not hoping that at all. Please don't put words in people's mouths. Thanks. My basic point is that he do what he can and we'll see where it goes. So far he's had some success despite his limitations.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:confused: If we just want to have a jumping contest, let's line them all up and see who can jump. I would prefer to see D10 on a good day with a combination of jumps and artistry (not in preference to any other skater, just on his own merits), or a great day like he had here, but we all know how many bad days he has had as well.

Funny, folks said Toller should quit because he could not equal the "technical masters" of his day. #thingsthatmakeyougoHmmmm

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Karne is absolutely right, so I hope you are agreeing with her.

For the record, I disagree. :biggrin:

But my enjoyment from reading the, eh, opinions, had nothing to do with ageeing/disagreeing. ;)
:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... P.S. Wagner was actually assigned to 4CC but withdrew because she wanted to focus on Worlds. Which is silly because the article I mentioned said she was taking a vacation after Nationals to the East coast and touring as well.

Nothing silly at all. For one thing, Ashley will not be touring until MAY, when Canadian Stars on Ice will be holding its shows.

And:
"Four Continents is such a tough competition because you're coming off of nationals, and you are mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted," Wagner said. "Then you come home and you don't get the recovery time you need for going back into competition."
So Wagner opted out of the trip, opening up a slot for first alternate Samantha Cesario, who placed fifth in Greensboro. Instead, she took a well-earned rest, visiting family in the greater Washington DC area before returning to her training home in Artesia, California.
"I knew I was going to end up just wasting energy and precious time, and I wasn't going to get that much out of the competition," Wagner said. "I was able to take two weeks off and really let my body just recuperate and recover. Now, I think it's about five weeks until worlds, which is perfect for me to push right on, get back to where I was for nationals and work up from there."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/02/13/109208008 (Feb 13)

Let's not forget that Ashley competed (and earned a medal) at the GPF. So her post-Nats exhaustion is understandable, IMO.

Gracie missed the GPF b/c of her unfortunate injury, and Polina did not qualify.

GF2445

Record Breaker

Not at all. Jason will make it. It's just this season is not the season to do the quad yet. He will probably be ready next season or the season after that. He is determined.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
:confused: If we just want to have a jumping contest, let's line them all up and see who can jump. I would prefer to see D10 on a good day with a combination of jumps and artistry (not in preference to any other skater, just on his own merits), or a great day like he had here, but we all know how many bad days he has had as well.

Funny, folks said Toller should quit because he could not equal the "technical masters" of his day. #thingsthatmakeyougoHmmmm

"If we just want to have a jumping contest, let's line them all up and see who can jump."
Great!:laugh2:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think bekalc has a point. I don't agree with how sometimes "whole package" is used to describe skaters without the difficult jumps. Feels too much like a method to dismiss the good jumpers--who, btw, do have to work hard to get those jumps, just like Jason worked on his spins, flexibility, and entries.

If we accept that jumps are part of the package, then right now, I'd say Josh is closer to the "whole package" than Jason. That's not to say Jason's strategy is bad long-term, or even that Josh is a better skater (Jason deserves points for his relative consistency).

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
I think bekalc has a point. I don't agree with how sometimes "whole package" is used to describe skaters without the difficult jumps. Feels too much like a method to dismiss the good jumpers--who, btw, do have to work hard to get those jumps, just like Jason worked on his spins, flexibility, and entries.

If we accept that jumps are part of the package, then right now, I'd say Josh is closer to the "whole package" than Jason. That's not to say Jason's strategy is bad long-term, or even that Josh is a better skater (Jason deserves points for his relative consistency).
I adore Jason, but today Joshua was better, big congrats for Josh. His Lp has 2 years, really? Soon needs changes it.Jason's LP is new and he used the last LP (Riverdance) only for one season. It's very hard change LP often.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I admit I've been guilty of using that term "complete package" in the past, but I've tried to be more careful these days. I agree that it's not right to disregard the jumpers (or really any skater). I also want to make clear that I totally acknowledge how awesome those jumps, when done well.

I think part of the fun of men's figure skating, which is why I'm much more into it these days -- is there seems to be a variety of strategies/styles/etc. each competitor is using to win/success. There's no "one-size fits all" that seems to be more prelevant in Ladies. I have my preferences and perhaps it has taken a while for me to warmup to different skaters, but I find it's far more fun to enjoy the diversity of the field rather than push some sort of "should be, must be" concept that a successful male skater should be.

Each of the top 6 did well today and brought different styles and concepts that made it fun to watch.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker

This. Sometimes I wonder if people thinks throwing such statements to those who are jumping great, that they were jumping straight after being born.... It's a lot of hard work,zylion of painfull falls on ice

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adam Rippon came on the ice with that deer-in-the-headlights look on his face. Because he hesitated before he started skating, he got a -1 penalty for a late start. And then he crashed on the 4z< attempt and stepped out of his first 3a. He lost points for repeating the 3a and 3z without putting them in combos, and got two more ur calls. I had hoped his Nationals success would give him the confidence to turn in a similar performance in Korea, but that was not to be. I'm afraid we're in for more of the same in China. If the US is going to hold onto 3 men's spots for Boston 2016, we'll have to place all our hopes on Jason and Josh.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I admit I've been guilty of using that term "complete package" in the past, but I've tried to be more careful these days. I agree that it's not right to disregard the jumpers (or really any skater). I also want to make clear that I totally acknowledge how awesome those jumps, when done well.

I think part of the fun of men's figure skating, which is why I'm much more into it these days -- is there seems to be a variety of strategies/styles/etc. each competitor is using to win/success. There's no "one-size fits all" that seems to be more prelevant in Ladies. I have my preferences and perhaps it takes a while to warmup to different skaters, but I find it's far more fun to enjoy the diversity of the field rather than push some sort of "should be, must be" concept that a successful male skater should be.

Each of the top 6 did well today and brought different styles and concepts that made it fun to watch.
I agree with this. I do enjoy seeing different strategies at play, and skaters playing to their strengths. I enjoyed it even during 6.0 days: Elvis Stojko would go for the quad, come hell or highwater, while Todd Eldredge would focus on skating clean and end with a "wow!" scratch spin. Because Stojko was pretty consistent, he was hard to beat. But Eldredge generally did what his abilities allowed him, instead of splatting on quads day in and day out.

This is why I'm so bothered by the (lack of) fall deduction. It encourages people to go for the jumps they can't land. Max difficulty, regardless of execution.

My earlier point was: Josh can sorta-kinda quad; he also has a brilliant 3A. At this point, Jason can't quite quad, and his 3A is a bit borderline. They're fairly equal in other areas--presentation, spins, steps--so I'd say Josh is closer to the complete package because he out-jumps Jason.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice

I think part of the fun of men's figure skating, which is why I'm much more into it these days -- is there seems to be a variety of strategies/styles/etc. each competitor is using to win/success. There's no "one-size fits all" that seems to be more prelevant in Ladies. I have my preferences and perhaps it has taken a while for me to warmup to different skaters, but I find it's far more fun to enjoy the diversity of the field rather than push some sort of "should be, must be" concept that a successful male skater should be.

Dear Mrs P! About the top 6 -- I don't understand for example: the Japanese UNO made lot of mistake and finished before Jason, why?