2015 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate Feb 15 Seoul Time | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate Feb 15 Seoul Time

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Actually, I don't think this event was a "meltdown" as a whole. Certainly nowhere near as bad as the bad men's events (e.g. 2015 Europeans). Several skates were very strong: Polina, Rika, Zijun, Samantha. Some URs and edge calls, but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of a program.

It only feels like a bomb because the top two (Satoko and Gracie) underperformed like crazy. But the average quality of skating might still be better than Europeans (remember the dreadful snoze- splatfest before the Russians came on?)

yuki

Final Flight
Why does Zijun have so many 0s??? Rika and Satoko getting higher TES and PCS than Zijun is ridiculous.

This competition wasn't "worse than Sochi" but still pretty unfair.

Zijun beat both Rika and Satoko on PCS.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm also pretty sure Gold's flip was at least a ! on replay... but maybe the tech caller was taking pity on her by that point. :disapp:

Certainly Polina got somewhat harsh -GOE for her series and for her solo flip (even though both only got !)... like come on judges, that 3F(!)-3S series was a -1 at worst and should have been mostly 0's.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Why does Zijun have so many 0s??? Rika and Satoko getting higher TES and PCS than Zijun is ridiculous.

This competition wasn't "worse than Sochi" but still pretty unfair.

I actually thought she had URed some jumps because she hooked a bunch of her landings, so the GOE was probably low anyways. Zijun is also a pretty slow skater, which doesn't help PCS (which seems to be heavily dictated by SS in that the other PCS categories are usually scored along the same lines as SS). But she had higher PCS than both Rika and Satoko, so that's not an issue anyways.

aa456

On the Ice
Gracie beats Zijun in PCS with that program...:shrug:

Program component scores should be changed to deep edge speed skating score instead

but then you look at Liza and Elena's skating and the PCS they get. PCS should be changed to reputation, big fed, hype.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I haven't watched any skates yet but omg Gracie Gold why???

I feel like this is something that Gracie has to seriously ask herself and be honest about the answer to. It is clear something is NOT working for her in competition, and only she can truly figure out how to change that.

Selene

On the Ice
I am sure Gracie is deeply concerned about this but she knows she is on camera and the entire skating world is watching. She is putting on a brave face, but trust me, that has to be a shock for her.

She told Frank she "did her best." She doesn't even seem to care that she keeps bombing one performance after another. She's only had one clean skate all season and shows zero signs of pulling herself together.

salchowx4

On the Ice
I am sure Gracie is deeply concerned about this but she knows she is on camera and the entire skating world is watching. She is putting on a brave face, but trust me, that has to be a shock for her.

Some people just want to see others cry.

It is a huge concern that Gracie keeps messing up time after time. Something mental she has to work out and fast. It is not a concern that she has figured out a way to put on a happy face and contain her emotions after a bad skate.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Can people stop over-exaggerating/telling blatant lies? This is seriously like those stupid conspiracy theories. There are definite flaws in the judging (esp. corridors in PCS scoring) but saying things that are literally false like "Zijun got low-50s for PCS" (she got 57 or 58) or "Zijun got lower PCS than Rika and Satoko" (when she.. didn't) doesn't help things at all.

tulosai

Record Breaker
She told Frank she "did her best." She doesn't even seem to care that she keeps bombing one performance after another. She's only had one clean skate all season and shows zero signs of pulling herself together.

Which was this? I am not being facetious, I honestly don't remember her skating clean all season.

Scovies

Final Flight
Zijun is also a pretty slow skater, which doesn't help PCS (which seems to be heavily dictated by SS in that the other PCS categories are usually scored along the same lines as SS). But she had higher PCS than both Rika and Satoko, so that's not an issue anyways.

Case in point: Patrick Chan. I think Gracie's SS are the biggest reason she gets good PCS. I've heard her overall skating is really impressive in person.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gracie got the 10th-worst TES of the night... a big ouch, considering that's supposed to be where she has a leg up on her competition.

Although the smartest thing she did was just do a 1T+1L on her 3S. Otherwise she'd have been 5.61 points lower.