Jason Brown does not plan quad for Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown does not plan quad for Worlds

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I expect to see Jason doing a quad this summer at the Broadmoor.and Glacier Falls competitions, similar to the way he introduced the 3a into his programs.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I expect to see Jason doing a quad this summer at the Broadmoor.and Glacier Falls competitions, similar to the way he introduced the 3a into his programs.

Maybe we can turn him into next season's Tuktamysheva and go to many many competitions, doubles as giving many fans a chance to see him.

noskates

Record Breaker
A lot of good points being made in this thread but I have to throw my support to Mrs. P! It's funny that Jason did SOOOOOOOOOO well at Nationals and yet people are giving Josh and Adam the nod for success at Worlds. Josh isn't always consistent and God knows Adam isn't the poster child for consistency. And all of this diatribe is because Jason doesn't have ONE JUMP. He has everything else in spades but is minimized because of one jump. Kori Ade has been an excellent coach for Jason. Both have said they were not concentrating on Sochi but on 2018 and he was bring brought along slowly and effectively. I can hardly wait until that quad is consistent and as beautiful as his other jumps so people can focus on someone and something else. GO Jason!

peg

Medalist
Sorry, I was at Skate America and I disagree. Nam deserved and received much higher TES in the FS than Jason, but in my opinion he did not deserve higher PCS than he received. He seemed like a little kid going through the motions. There wasn't a lot of energy. And he was quite slow.
Yes, Jason was on a whole different level in terms of PCS and deserved to win over Nam at SA.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
...How is this news? Did anyone expect Jason to be crazy enough to run off to Worlds with 4T<<? :unsure:

I would love to have the journalists who have the words "quad" fly out of their mouths the minute they have access to Jason agree with you. He doesn't need the quad now for his timetable, he made that clear on the first question at his interview, and he will develop his programs on his timetable and not someone else's.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Considering the field, it's a good strategy and opportunity to do the best with what he is able to do very well and be clean. Let others take the quad risk and he could place very high if the stars align.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This must be really frustrating for Max Aaron, who attempts (and fairly reliably lands) three 4S across both programs. :bang: And the ones going to Worlds: a skater who attempts one inconsistent 4T (Farris), who attempts two 4Z and they're usually UR or << (Rippon), and who attempt no quads in either program (Brown).

I think Max is probably pretty happy for his friends that they get to go - he himself acknowledged that the standard at US Nationals was insanely high. What he SHOULD be frustrated about - angry, even - is the fact that Kovtun is getting these massive scores because his fed will back him, while the USFSA seem to have no interest whatsoever in Max's scores, even though Max is a better skater! Even Max's Nationals inflation was not in line with everyone else's.

According to the article, two of the three American men must place 6th and 7th or higher to keep these three spots.

I do not see it happening. I can see Farris around 4th-5th with a bit of luck but the highest I can see Brown is 9th. Frankly, I would not be surprised if he missed the top 10 altogether.

4 + 9 = 13 = three spots.

The article misspoke. The magic number is 13. If Josh came 4th and Jason 9th that would be enough. Last year they got them with Jeremy 5th and Max 8th. It doesn't matter what the actual placements are; the maximum they can add up to is 13. Fortunately, only the top two placements count.

...How is this news? Did anyone expect Jason to be crazy enough to run off to Worlds with 4T<<? :unsure:

Why not? Adam is running off to Worlds with a 4Lz<< and for some reason, everyone thinks this is a great idea and he was somehow robbed at Nationals. :sarcasm:

This is what I expect too.

I was against the inclusion of the 4T at 4CCs (but then, I also seem to have a good deal more respect for the competition than some of you, who seem to regard it as little more than a Senior B). I was also VERY against the inclusion of it at Worlds.

What Jason needs to do at Worlds is what Jason does best: skate cleanly and well, with his full self behind the programs, projecting them with that disarming charm that makes audiences and judges love him. He made a huge positive step at 4CCs when he landed both 3As cleanly in the LP, and that's good. I'm sure he's saving up all his performance for this big stage, and he will not let us down. He never has.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Why not? Adam is running off to Worlds with a 4Lz<< and for some reason, everyone thinks this is a great idea and he was somehow robbed at Nationals. :sarcasm:

Some people have really taken the reward for effort concept way too far.

I tend to agree, it is not like he actually completed the quad at nations, he screwed it up twice. . . why are we supposed to be impressed. I respect him for trying, (well sorta, kinda at nationals at least. . . maybe i just accept that he likes the lutz jump) but when you don't rotate it, you should expect to take a hit for points.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
According to the article, two of the three American men must place 6th and 7th or higher to keep these three spots.
I was all ready to say "the article was wrong", then I double-checked wiki... Can't believe there's no difference of minimum placement whether you have 2 or 3 skaters trying to grab the coveted three-spots. In fact the rule is more relaxed toward countries with 3 representatives, where 1 skater is allowed the cushion to completely falter as long as the other 2 "placed decently". Oy vey!

centerpt1

On the Ice
That's why losing a slot is a big deal.

Adam at least has a rotated quad in practice. Now getting it aroung under pressure seems to be an issue.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I was all ready to say "the article was wrong", then I double-checked wiki... Can't believe there's no difference of minimum placement whether you have 2 or 3 skaters trying to grab the coveted three-spots. In fact the rule is more relaxed toward countries with 3 representatives, where 1 skater is allowed the cushion to completely falter as long as the other 2 "placed decently". Oy vey!

It is messy. In the wishes thread I posted two different but plausible out comes that could result in either six countries or zero countries getting three spots next year. I don't think that is a good system. Personally I think it should be the top three nations (be that based on one person or two is debatable and I am open to argue this point) should get three spots and if there is a tie both get three spots. As it stands it can get really weird.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You have to trust the coach in this situation.

We get wrapped up in discussions of placement, but the idea is really about how many points he is most likely to score.

Kori has decided that for now he'll get the highest score he can without the quad. The placement will be whatever it is.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Kori has decided that for now he'll get the highest score he can without the quad. The placement will be whatever it is.

The strange thing is, the men seem to do better when Jason is around. I mean 4CC and Rostelecom were probably the best international events for the men so far and Jason was at both.

Icey

Record Breaker
Internationally, I think Jason is about to begin a downward slide. The performance card no longer distracts from his technical weaknesses, and I think the judges are now expecting him to up the ante to or near that level technically. His plan works well when he has a flawless or nearly flawless skate, but he still has too many under rotations and even his 3 axel fails too often. Even when he completes that axel, the goe is frequently on the low side. These weaknesses always make him quite vulnerable in competition on the international level.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
That's why losing a slot is a big deal.

Adam at least has a rotated quad in practice. Now getting it aroung under pressure seems to be an issue.

His quad at Nationaly looked rotated to me. Maybe a little underrated, but << ?? no.
Judges don't like him, i don't get it--besides Abbott he really has it all.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
His quad at Nationaly looked rotated to me. Maybe a little underrated, but << ?? no.

His SP was marked < and his LP was marked >> it was the opposite at 4CC.

You also have to remember that in the SP the solo non-axel jump has to be preceded by footwork, it is a -3. Even if his quad was rotated, his program is still choreographed to receive a -3 in the SP.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The strange thing is, the men seem to do better when Jason is around. I mean 4CC and Rostelecom were probably the best international events for the men so far and Jason was at both.

Do you mean men from all countries or only U.S. men?? :think:

p.s. General comment:

Is it me ... or are Josh/Jason/Adam stirring up far more discussion than the U.S. ladies? (Not to mention the other U.S. disciplines.) :think:

Not complaining. The men are the most interesting to me. Then the dancers and ladies. But I'm surprised that the men seem to be dominating the threads.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Disagreed. His 4Lz got the right call - < in the SP and << in the LP. Given he has no linking steps into his 4Lz in the SP, he should be getting -3 GOE on that on anyway not even looking at the rotation...

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
p.s. General comment:

Is it me ... or are Josh/Jason/Adam stirring up far more discussion than the U.S. ladies? (Not to mention the other U.S. disciplines.) :think:

Not complaining. The men are the most interesting to me. Then the dancers and ladies. But I'm surprised that the men seem to be dominating the threads.

It's not just you. But I'm the other way around -- ladies are more interesting to me. Though still, I'd rather discuss the U.S. men.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Do you mean men from all countries or only U.S. men?? :think:

p.s. General comment:
Is it me ... or are Josh/Jason/Adam are stirring up far more discussion than the U.S. ladies? (Not to mention the other U.S. disciplines.) :think:

Both actually. Jason's score at COR would have medaled at most if not all other grand prix events, but he was fifth there. Several of the highest scores of the season at that point were dolled out at COR.

Again at 4CC we got to see some awesome skating from the men. For perspective Jason has the 12 highest combined score of the season. Of those higher, two were at Rostelecom and five were at 4CC. None were at Europeans. Basically Jason has had the odd luck to be at the highest scoring comps of the season.

As for the discussion, well in my eyes it is their turn. The ladies have been the cash cow long enough, let's look at the other disciplines. Men right now have a really good group right now. Many good in their own ways. The USA has a lot of guys that could do well at worlds, but only can send three. We actually have some nice depth in mens. Ladies. . . well I am not sure USFSA knows what to do with them right now. I think they are used to having someone better and keep thinking "The USA has to have someone that can compete" so they keep trying to find the magic skater rather than just supporting many.