2015 Worlds Ladies Short Program March 26 | Page 121 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Ladies Short Program March 26

mrrice

Record Breaker
You are pretty much on target. I don't think Edmunds will just "go away". I know the USFS is ready to toss her under the bus..............that was obvious as I watched US Nats................but......Polina has true grit. She was robbed this time by at least 2 points. So I can only assume the ISU is also ready to toss her under the bus. Maria Butyrskaya had to overcome redheaded-stepchild treatment from her federation and the ISU and she didn't give up................eventually did win a World Title..................GO POLINA!!!!!!!

Mike

Maria Butyrskaya...............Swoon. I agree, Polina does have grit, fight, and everything it takes to be a future World Champion. I still can't understand why every US skating fan isn't in love with this great skater. She, is certainly leading a pack of young and very talented US ladies who are all gaining momentum.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
LOL, thanks again. This new rule seems so haphazard. So, basically, popping your solo jump = 0 because it failed to meet the requirements, but for everything else, it's okay?

A popped axle is still a zero.

Basically the trend is to try to give some credit for what the skater did in fact do. If they rotate a triple and trip as they try to add they second jump, they still did *something* so they are given some credit. Think of it as they did a triple in combination with a stumble for lack of a better way to put it.

Icey

Record Breaker
Sorry but her combo was not given any credit. Don't you see the BV, 6.00? What about her 3Loop?

She was awarded 3.9 points for what she did. Like the original question, since she didn't perform the required element, why give any points at all.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Just finished watching the Ladies. An amazing skate from Liza, the 3A was superb, hopefully she can lay down a great skate in free and win her first world title. The way she has bounced back this year, it has been great to watch, she is a true fighter and champion. Elena R in second, I don't particularly care for the programme but you have to admire how well she sells it, it's been a great debut at senior championships for her.

Personally I would have had Murakami ahead of Miyahara, a nice skate from Hongbo for 5th to round of a very good short for Japan. I thought Li in 6th and Edmunds in 7th were under marked, marks wise I would have Li much closer to the podium. I thought she was underscored on PCS, it was a gorgeous performance.

I don't understand Gold's score, I thought with no combo she would score low. Anna P had a nasty fall but she bounced back up and got back into the programme, I didn't like this programme early in the season but it has definitely grown on me. I felt sorry for Ashley to many mistakes.

It will be interesting to see how the free skate goes. It's all very close there is just 2 marks between 5th and 10th, there could be a lot of movement.

sbaker

On the Ice
You are pretty much on target. I don't think Edmunds will just "go away". I know the USFS is ready to toss her under the bus..............that was obvious as I watched US Nats................but......Polina has true grit. She was robbed this time by at least 2 points. So I can only assume the ISU is also ready to toss her under the bus. Maria Butyrskaya had to overcome redheaded-stepchild treatment from her federation and the ISU and she didn't give up................eventually did win a World Title..................GO POLINA!!!!!!!

Mike

I don't think Polina was robbed... Interestingly, her PCS 27.77 was exactly the same at 4CC. Maybe she could have gotten up to a point more... But compare her jump entrances to the rest of the top 10. Telegraphing like no other. The rest of her program has lovely transitions, but she's slow. I don't think the USFS have given up on her, especially after her 4CC win.

JJS5056

Rinkside
A popped axle is still a zero.

Basically the trend is to try to give some credit for what the skater did in fact do. If they rotate a triple and trip as they try to add they second jump, they still did *something* so they are given some credit. Think of it as they did a triple in combination with a stumble for lack of a better way to put it.

Doesn't that sound contradictory to you? Why doesn't a skater receive the BV of a single axel, or double flip, if they pop if the goal is to "give some credit for what the skater did in fact do." ...?

A single axel does not fulfill the axel requirement.
A double flip does not fulfill the solo jump requirement.
And, a 3LUTZ+FALL does not fulfill the combination requirement.

Seems crazy to me that they are not treated the same way.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Doesn't that sound contradictory to you? Why doesn't a skater receive the BV of a single axel, or double flip, if they pop if the goal is to "give some credit for what the skater did in fact do." ...?

A single axel does not fulfill the axel requirement.
A double flip does not fulfill the solo jump requirement.
And, a 3LUTZ+FALL does not fulfill the combination requirement.

Seems crazy to me that they are not treated the same way.

You have a good argument, but I suspect if they zeroed out the full combo we would see a heck of a lot more 3T+2Ts being performed due to not being worth it to risk something harder. Giving some points lets skaters try harder combos, and really a full missing jump on top of -GOE is still a penalty.

As for the other instances, well first I would have to find a solo double and see how it is scored and then think about it. I can't remember right now. Single jumps are worth so little, that it almost becomes a wash with -GOE.

And technically the solo triple needs to be preceded by steps or other free skating moves i think it is called. But if you don't follow that rule, you are supposed to get -3 GOE not zero. I would say that as long as a skater can ignore the preceding steps rule and get some points, getting some for a fall after the first jump of a combination is not that inconsistent.

andy08

Rinkside
Just finished watching the short... What to say... congrats to ALL the ladies ... A lot of them improved a lot since the last international event...

Liza liza liza liza liza (TUK)....:shocked: It's her season, just great ... wondering if she was going to attempt the 3A ? Maybe in the Free ???? Served in the short ! Did you hear what she said ? "It was a risk to do the triple Axel in the short program, but figure skating has to evolve,(...)" . No words. Just watch her performance, it speaks for itself!!

And a word for Murakami:give me that smile any day and program OK!
Satoko: she really improved, good job!
Anna Pogo: hope she didn't hurt herself too much ... also to her program :thumbsup:she really skated really well. But to her trainer:disagree:know the meaning of a HUG, expressing some solidarity ?!!?!?
And the US Team ? Wagner & Gold ? Let's see what happens in the free. But Polina is leading ....

slider11

Medalist
Liza had a truly amazing show of jumps...amazing. But I do not understand those high marks with her step sequence, spins and overall artistic marks, at least with her SP. Although she deserves to be in first, not by that margin. I think her artistry shows better in her LP so I do believe Liza will be our next next Ladies WC. Elena Rad is cute and very fast but I take nothing special from her performances. I think Li has potential to make the podium and I am very engaged with her total package. Gracie's artistry is spell binding but I agree that the judges are generous. After practicing well all week and knowing the layout of the rink, it must be so frustrating for Frank (and her) to keep hitting the boards. She must have taken an extra stroke or held too long. C'mon Gracie, put it out there tomorrow night! Last but not least Ashley. Yikes! I am not a fan but my heart goes out to her for basically bombing that one. I'm predicting her Moulin Rouge will be good but not great and she'll end up around 8-9th.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Well, double edge sword. If she did really bad at 4CC and was defeated by Rika, Satoko or even Gracie, her reputation might have taken a hit. But I agree with you it was her chance to prove her self once again against international judges.

IDK, I don't think Wagner needed to go to 4CC to prove herself to the international judges. She still achieved the fourth highest PCS, and that was with multiple errors. No doubt she would have been 31-32 on the PCS if she was clean. If Wagner came here and skated to win, she probably would have been in second right now.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Do you have her program with CBC commentary?

Yes. Already uploaded to YouTube (but unlisted right now), and I'm making another Jumpamatron-thingy with the recording since it's 1080p60 HD... will post both videos publicly very soon.

Alba

Record Breaker
Yes. Already uploaded to YouTube (but unlisted right now), and I'm making another Jumpamatron-thingy with the recording since it's 1080p60 HD... will post both videos publicly very soon.

So you'll tell us when we can see, or unlisted we still can?

Meoima

Match Penalty
The British commentators had nothing but praise for Satoko--not one mention of under/pre-rotation. Just saying...
The British commentators also have almost nothing but praise for Kovtun. Just saying... they're positive to anyone.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
The British commentators also have almost nothing but praise for Kovtun. Just saying... they're positive to anyone.

Not quite. In this competition, they were somewhat critical of Kanako, who some felt should have placed above Satoko.

However, my point being, if Satoko jumped so horribly as you say, I'm sure there would have been some mention of it. They've always called jumps as they see it.