Ban on Carolina Kostner Over | Page 43 | Golden Skate

Ban on Carolina Kostner Over

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Why not? What would be a latest image of her when people - not necessarily figure skating fans- think of her? That would be her association with her ex-boyfriend who dragged her into the doping scandal. She might want to shake the stigma off. I think she would not mind taking a risk as long as competing since she is a skater with refined qualities and also known for her inconsistency. Besides, who else could increase the country's World spot? None at this point. This year may be too late for her to prepare Worlds though.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
To be honest, most people other than us fanatics on this website, even those casual skating fans have no idea and don't care about her involvement with some racewalker and the "drug scandal". It is really a non issue to most.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
To be honest, most people other than us fanatics on this website, even those casual skating fans have no idea and don't care about her involvement with some racewalker and the "drug scandal". It is really a non issue to most.

At least not in her country given the past news that her story will be made as a movie for TV or something. Most of her fan base is from her own country as well.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
4. They shouldn't unless they are desperate, because what an insult to every other Italian lady who has surely been working hard all season towards that goal and was also FOLLOWING THE RULES.

I think we understand by now you're pissed off about what she's done, Like, To a level it offends you personally,
But If she's ready to go to Worlds and the Italian federation are using their common sense they will send her,
She's a good bet for 2 spots for pre Olympic season worlds, I wouldn't see it as desperate is all.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, yes, what a great message that would send to all the young ladies in Italy. "Work hard and get good results and improve, but by the way, you're not a big name, so we're going to ditch you for a big name who openly flouted the anti-doping rules, hasn't competed in a season and a half, and thinks she's above the rules."

jg2000

On the Ice
Oh, yes, what a great message that would send to all the young ladies in Italy. "Work hard and get good results and improve, but by the way, you're not a big name, so we're going to ditch you for a big name who openly flouted the anti-doping rules, hasn't competed in a season and a half, and thinks she's above the rules."

She's payed for what she did, I don't know why you would consider her breaking of the rules after the punishment is over and she's allowed to skate again. Obviously it's not ideal that she could get chosen without competing for so long, but I don't find it horrible; many federations pick the big name (who has much experience as well) over others and it's considered acceptable.
It's not really about "sending a good message," it's about getting spots and medals. It's pretty sound logic imo.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh... not the first time cbc gets figure skating wrong :) lol
Read what seabm7 wrote above. Technical minimums for Worlds can't be earned at the Japanese event, as it's a professional competition with an entirely different format and different requirements for elements than the amateur competitions. The articles are getting it wrong. Which doesn't mean, though, that Carolina can't qualify for Worlds - she just has to do that in a different competition.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
A Carolina return?! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c

Part of the fun of being a Carolina uber is seeing her give a clinic on what skating should look like to all the peasants below her, save for Mao and Yuna, and crying from happiness (Worlds 2014 SP). Then bombing like hell in the long the next day causing me to cry from depression.

So many feelings!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She's payed for what she did, I don't know why you would consider her breaking of the rules after the punishment is over and she's allowed to skate again. Obviously it's not ideal that she could get chosen without competing for so long, but I don't find it horrible; many federations pick the big name (who has much experience as well) over others and it's considered acceptable.
It's not really about "sending a good message," it's about getting spots and medals. It's pretty sound logic imo.

Yes she has paid for her crime which is minor relatively speaking and nothing to do with skating per se but on the justice of life scale which again is hard to "judge" Carolina has been given much beside skating talent and well while life isn't fair or it depends on how you view it; it is very discouraging to compete with all your heart and someone decides to come back out of no where - not even at the start of the season and is like move over girl, Carolina the queen is here and wants her throne so move it or get smushed. You know the judges are going to be generous with Carolina too. But that is life. I am not sure why she wants to come back ie money , lack of pro opportunities, that's great they are doing a movie of the week (I suppose) on her life I am not sure coming back is the way to change people opinion - wouldn't it be ironic if the come back leads to a big bomb? After all this???It might ironically highlight cheaters don't win regardless of her role. Oh well..

NaVi

Medalist
Neither Giada Russo or Roberta Rodeghiero completed a triple-triple combination at their nationals. Both of them are going to Euros and Kostner will have to compete somewhere to get the Tech Mins. I don't see the big deal with just picking who is better after looking at both of those competitions.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
wow… these protocols really tell a lot… the winner didn't even land more than 2 triples in the free…. so in light of this, Kostner would easily earn her spot if she had to do s skate off with these two ladies… the winner doesn't even try the 3Lz nor 3F

i also noticed that pairs was won by what perhaps we thought was team #2… thankfully, they have two spots…
Neither Giada Russo or Roberta Rodeghiero completed a triple-triple combination at their nationals. Both of them are going to Euros and Kostner will have to compete somewhere to get the Tech Mins. I don't see the big deal with just picking who is better after looking at both of those competitions.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
About wether Carolina should be send to Worlds (if she is in form, she will only be sent if she is in form, I have no doubt about that) I want to add:
How many times has Carolina earned the 2nd or even the 3rd spot for Worlds and Europeans for Italy? And if she delivers she can earn a 2nd spot alone easily. And she never retired, so her fellow skaters must have expected her to return, this is surely no surprise for them. And Giada and Roberta did both compete at Worlds last season because of Carolina's result in 2014. I don't think they'll be bitter if Carolina gets the spot, they'll understand.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Wow, I didn't think anyone could have written something like that :slink: I didn't read anyone complaining about it when Yu-Na was sent to Worlds in 2011, and just in the same way if Carolina earns the minimum TES and is in good form, why shouldn't she be chosen above skaters who are simply not at the right level? Giada Russo (who btw is a lovely skater with many good qualities) doesn't have a 3-3, doesn't have 3F or 3Lz, it is very unlikely that she could place well at Worlds at all, or even qualify for the FS. Roberta certainly has a better chance (since she has a good arsenal of jumps and has been skating well this season) but again if Carolina shows to the Italian Fed that she has a better chance to earn two spots why shouldn't they send her? This is a sport, and placements, scores, skills matter, not moral or sentimental judgements.
Of course, Carolina should be chosen only if she clearly shows that she is more prepared than the others, technically, artistically and mentally, not because of her name and past achievements.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I didn't read anyone complaining about it when Yu-Na was sent to Worlds in 2011,

I didn't agree with that, either. I thought it the height of arrogance that she didn't even bother to show up for Korean Nationals!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I didn't agree with that, either. I thought it the height of arrogance that she didn't even bother to show up for Korean Nationals!
Yuna also didn't show up for nationals from 2007 til 2010. So she didn't do anything different in 2011. She was the clear no. 1 in South Korea and Carolina was (and most probably still is) the clear no. 1 in Italy.
I think it's actually nice that Yuna gave other skaters the chance to become national champions. ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think realistically Carolina's best hope for medalling at the world level is to wait until next year. I don't think you can fairly compare her skate at some event against Euros of the two other ladies. But what will be will be. LIfe isn't fair. At least Carolina has her fans to support her no one is supporting or caring for the Vaartmans or the German pair team that is being pushed aside and stomped on for Savchenko's personal goal of oly gold.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think realistically Carolina's best hope for medalling at the world level is to wait until next year. I don't think you can fairly compare her skate at some event against Euros of the two other ladies. But what will be will be. LIfe isn't fair. At least Carolina has her fans to support her no one is supporting or caring for the Vaartmans or the German pair team that is being pushed aside and stomped on for Savchenko's personal goal of oly gold.
Waiting until next season would be unfair on the other italian skaters! I have no doubt that she can make the top ten at worlds if she's in form and then Italy has two spots next season.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
So let’s guess where Carolina will compete to get her minimum tech points. Which people will be the lucky ones to watch it :hap85:

I vote for Nordics(24-28 February). She’ll have some competition from the Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish ladies and Huth has other pupils there. How cool for Denmark to have such an attraction. Aalborg is also easy to access for Swedish fans from Göteborg by ship.

I wish this thread would change name to ’Carolina Kostner back in competition’ or something like that. She has served her sentence for her stupid lie and is now allowed and wanting to compete.

Elaine

On the Ice

IIRC, according to the KSU rules (back then, not sure about now), the skater who had medaled at the previous WC was guaranteed the ticket for the next WC. Yuna got a silver at 2010 WC, so she didn't need to compete at the next nationals. (same as 2007-2010) That's the reason why Yuna had to compete at 2013 Korean Nationals... she didn't compete at 2012 WC, which means no guaranteed ticket for her. Simple as that. So what arrogance there?

This rule might sound strange or unfair (especially after seeing the results of Russian nationals this year :p Oh Liza...) but considering the depth of Korean figure skating before Yuna, quite understandable. I think they should reconsider the rule now though, since Korean figure skating is really improving.

I don't think Italy has the same rule, which can make the situation a little bit awkward. However, Italy is more like Korea than Russia in terms of the depth of figure skating. I personally don't think giving Carolina a spot is that unfair, but at the same time can understand people complain about it.

Even though I was never a fan of Carolina I want to see her skating on the competitive ice again. It will be much more interesting with her.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

You need to get your fact straight. Each country has a different rule and situation. Some nations, especially countries with a small federation that barely or never produce a top level skater don't consider domestic competitions as big as those of countries with a big federation like Russia or USA.

AFAIK, S.Korea has a rule regarding a bye for Worlds if a skater earn a medal at Jr. and Senior Worlds in the previous season, participating in a national is exempt. The rule was not made for her, and she was the first one and only one ever eligible for the written rule in the figure skating history of the country. I suspect the rule is even borrowed from a much popular sport in the country such as short track that has produced numerous Oly and Worlds medalists. KSU leans too much toward the sport and independent figure figure skating federation doesn't exist so far.

Before she emerged, almost none couldn't advance even to SP at Worlds and nationals was more like aiming to get enough points for applying for college, not going to int. competitions. During her absence during 2011-12 season, two participants from S.Korea decreased the World spot to one. She was the only one capable of increasing World spots back during her era.

Yuna had strictly followed the rule because she she had never been off the podium at World as you know well. She had to compete at Nationals in 2012-13 season because she didn't compete at Worlds in the prior season and the federation didn't give her a bye because they were strict and stick with the rule. However, as a reigning World Champion, Yuna didn't need to show up at the next year's Nationals, but she wanted to show her gratitude for her country and to draw people's attention to the minor sport before the Olympics, so the public could see her at Nationals at a cheap expense. The two Nationals in a row were the first time to sell a ticket to the public and the competitions got sponsored by companies in S.Korea.

It is also well known to her fans that her federation almost forced her to participate in Worlds 2010 and 2011 because they wanted to nail the 2018 Olympic bid by using her image and saved the federation's face and etc. So are all her sacrifice and hard work for her country worthy of being called, "the height of arrogance" by you? You can't pretend you cared about S.Korean skaters' World spot which was virtually earned solely by her during her era.

Since you are awaken from your ignorance, I hope you refrain from spreading your own tilted assessment. At the same time, I don't get your point against Caro's willingness for competition at all in this thread. You also need to brush up your memory about how people, even from his nation have reacted to Plushenko's gifted acquisition for the only Olympic spot instead of the reigning National Champion, Kovtun who also participated in the World 2013. What an irony it indeed is since you're speaking about "the height of arrogance".

Last edited: