Grand Prix 2016-17 News/Speculation | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2016-17 News/Speculation

winky97

Medalist
Hope to see you there!

Pretty happy with SC, although the US selection is lacking a bit (no Ashley or Adam this year), but I get to see Mirai skate and hope that Grant and Ross have good outings again. Excited to see Misha Ge, Daniel Samohin, Hanyu, Chan, V/M's return, D/R, Liza T vs. Med and more!

Decided to go to SC and went ahead and got my ticket.

jax

Rinkside
There might be 2 more spots opening for dance...rumor has it a team may be announcing dropping out due to injury

SamuraiKike

Medalist
So the 10 spots for Dance meant there were more spots for Dance this coming season? Makes you wonder then why a team like M/C still decided to stay Junior. They would certainly have had one GP event and SA could have picked them for a 2nd event. I really don't know what they are waiting for they need to start challenging themselves and being on the JGP again won't do that.

They probably didnt know dance was being expanded to 10 entries. However I still think is a bad move. As reigning junior champions chances are they still would have got 2 events and now they will spend a whole year sandbagging. Bleh.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Is anyone else surprised that Leonova got 2?

Sotnikova is out so that left a bit of room for Leonova, same for Sima and Artemieva. Good for them.

Interesting that SA is the only TBD spot... I wonder if they are deciding between the Parsons and M/C in some unholy game of figure skating Survivor.

If any of those 2 teams had decided to go senior they will be guaranteed at least one event but they are not here so they are staying juniors. Shame.

Well I for one and hoping that Richard Dornbush gets the mens SA TBD... he is too talented to give up and i think giving him an chance is worth it after injury.

I would love for that to happen but if Joshua Farris recovers he's surely getting the TBD.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will someone do one of those substitute lists (like, how far down the list is Kailani Craine, for instance?) at some point too? I don't know what I'm doing enough to put it together but I love to read them. I'd feed you virtual cookies and tea! :yes:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
OK, I have a politicking scenario.

USFSA rep calls Russia: OK, would you like to swap dance spots?

Russian rep: Absolutely. We will take two teams.

USFSA rep: Terrific!

Selection Committee meeting. Russian rep takes Chock & Bates. (They have no choice). U.S. rep takes Bobrova & Soloviev. U.S. rep then takes Ilinykh & Zhiganshin. Russian rep takes absolutely lowest U.S. dance team it can lay its hands on: Pogrebinsky & Benoit.

Also helps that Shpilband calls and organizes the I&Z and P&B swap in advance.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Will someone do one of those substitute lists (like, how far down the list is Kailani Craine, for instance?) at some point too? I don't know what I'm doing enough to put it together but I love to read them. I'd feed you virtual cookies and tea! :yes:

Here are the ladies:
#27 Artemieva, RUS (SC)
#29 SAKHANOVICH, RUS (SA)
#33 Choi, KOR (SC)
#39 Pierce, USA (TEB; eligible for SA host pick)
#40 Sakamoto, JPN (staying Jr.??)
--- next up:
#42 Kim (Na Hyun), KOR
#43 Wang, USA (eligible for SA host pick)
#44 MITROFANOVA, RUS (not sure of status, Jr.??)
#45 Kato, JPN (not sure of status)
#47 Olsson, SWE

Kailani Crane is #58, so her chances of getting a GP from the substitute list is quite unlikely, but she certainly could be chosen somehow, it's happened before

I can do the other later, but it's late here.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
My speculations from April were almost all wrong :laugh2: I wonder if Marchei/Hotarek have any chances to get 2 assignment.

tulosai

Record Breaker
My speculations from April were almost all wrong :laugh2: I wonder if Marchei/Hotarek have any chances to get 2 assignment.

Pairs is super rough... I don't think they actually need 10 spots like dance did, but there are at least 3 teams I either wish had a spot or wish had a second spot that don't, and that's only off the top of my head not having looked at the list again since it first came out- there are certainly others.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Pairs is super rough... I don't think they actually need 10 spots like dance did, but there are at least 3 teams I either wish had a spot or wish had a second spot that don't, and that's only off the top of my head not having looked at the list again since it first came out- there are certainly others.
Yeah, it is. Since V/T said they are not doing Grand Prix Series and Duskova/Bidar staying junior I tought they would easily get 2 spots, but no :( And I'm still not sure how I feel about Sui doing Skate America when she had such serious surgery. Why couldn't they get later assignment. 2 weeks sometimes makes huge difference when you're coming back from injury.