2022 Grand Prix Espoo Free Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2022 Grand Prix Espoo Free Dance

rain

Record Breaker
Some more impressions from the FD, now that I've seen the whole competition.

Too bad that the Chinese team looks so rusty this season, because I like this Batman free.

I wasn't sure on the first couple of viewings what to make of Soucisse/Firus's FD, but it has really grown on me as the season is progressing. Probably the best thing they've done in years. Too bad latin does not seem to be their rhythm — Carolanne in particular looked uncomfortable, I thought throughout the RD. It was a case where I could see where the choreography was going, but I'm not sure they do. This FD, though, I thought was a bit undermarked.

The Taschlers have also grown on me. I thoroughly enjoyed the FD today. Thought on a few of the elements in particular where they've been really creative that the judges were stingy. And they are so fast! You can even tell on screen.

This isn't a breakout free dance from Carreira/Ponomarenko, but it's a step up from the floundering of the last couple of seasons. More sophisticated material.

The Finnish team Turkkila/Versluis are very classic ice dance, from their look to their carriage and posture. This free dance is also pretty classic ice dance. Not my favourite, but very well skated, elegant, and well deserving of a medal.

Loved once again Hawayek and Baker. This program is another masterpiece, and possibly the best choreography out of the Montreal school this season. Like Piper and Paul, it's so nice to see them having a breakout season. Loved that the commentator pointed out finally how stunning their one-foot step sequences are. It's a master class and they deserve all the points on it. It is, sadly, seldom a highlight in most teams' free dances, and it's so refreshing to see an actual step sequence that's used as a such rather than the more flashy choreographic elements. It just proves that good step sequences don't have to be the snoozy part of the program if teams put the effort in. Another example is Piper and Paul's pattern in the RD. Now I'll get off my soap box.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I fell asleep. Started watching the game when I got up because I figured I would be more likely to be spoiled to the game and not the skating. Well apparently the USFS exists solely to spoil me for results. Oh well. It’s not like I didn’t know what would happen beforehand.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Local main media about Finland's Gp medal: one sentence! It and everything else is combined to article where main thing is Jenni's retirlring. Nothing else. Just a few sentences about whole Gp. I am mad.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Local main media about Finland's Gp medal: one sentence! It and everything else is combined to article where main thing is Jenni's retirlring. Nothing else. Just a few sentences about whole Gp. I am mad.
What? And it's an ice dance medal (the first ever for Finland... R/K won Skate Canada before it was the GP series)... Do Finns remember about one of my all time favourite teams R/K ? Getting a medal in GP doesn't mean top 5 at worlds of course, so we are not at the R/K level, but it's been how many years since the last medal for Finland ? I am guessing Laura Lepisto in 2009 or 2010?

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
To be more accurate, they did not even mention the medal. "Juulia Turkkila and Matthias Versluis became third". That was all I found in the pressed newspaper today, Helsingin Sanomat.