Grand Prix 2016-17 News/Speculation | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2016-17 News/Speculation

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Interesting that SA is the only TBD spot... I wonder if they are deciding between the Parsons and M/C in some unholy game of figure skating Survivor.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Interesting that SA is the only TBD spot... I wonder if they are deciding between the Parsons and M/C in some unholy game of figure skating Survivor.

I thought M/C were guaranteed one anyways by virtue of being Jr. World champs, so if they wanted to go Senior they'd already have a spot.

I'm not sure if this goes for dance either, but I think the Jr. Men/Ladies GPF/Jr. Worlds medalists are all guaranteed one spot as well.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about Nicolas Nadeau...surely they aren't going to make him do the JGP again?

One GP for Deniss, two for Daniel, pretty good lineup for SA...I think I'm happy with these assignments. Nice (and surprising) to see Maria A. and Sima getting slots, too.

Very true. Like hopefully if Kevin doesn't get SC host pick, at least I hope he does a few senior B's.

And I think Daniel is going to be a force to be reckoned with within the next few years. And I'm so happy for Deniss. Like at Worlds and Euros, he showed he can compete against others.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who do you imagine gets the ladies TBD spot at Skate America, and when do they provide this information?

I'd love to see Mariah get it but she sort of squanders her opportunities so they might go for a younger skater to give them exposure.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Well I for one and hoping that Richard Dornbush gets the mens SA TBD... he is too talented to give up and i think giving him an chance is worth it after injury.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh dear. Poor Karen Chen. She has COC AND NHK. I wonder if she'll probably stay in China and then go to Japan after that. That's the smartest thing to do.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I'd love to see Mariah get it but she sort of squanders her opportunities so they might go for a younger skater to give them exposure.

Maybe if she and Romain are really really cute she can be a last minute replacement for TDF if there is an injury.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear. Poor Karen Chen. She has COC AND NHK. I wonder if she'll probably stay in China and then go to Japan after that. That's the smartest thing to do.

Pretty sure she has family in Taiwan so she could just stay with them in between rather conveniently.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Thinking of going to Rostelecom and I wasn't even hoping Lena would be there as I was sure it's gonna be Medvedeva. This is a dream for me. :laugh:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Both the Parsons & M&C would have a spot if they wanted one. Likely two. The ten spots opens up the dance field--YAY!--(though goodness knows, the junior dancers may not have known there would be ten spots when they made their decisions & started planning programs). Those two teams were ranked much higher than many of the single-event guaranteed teams that got two invitations. The TBD is going to go Cannuscio & McManus, IMO.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Actually when the GP lists come out, it would be fun to sort of reverse engineer the lists and see how it might have played out based on what we know about the drawing process. It might shed some light on whether there was any bargaining or what not.

Maybe EVERYBODY politicked for more dance spots! Team effort.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Maybe EVERYBODY politicked for more dance spots! Team effort.
I'm not 100% sure, but with M/C and Parsons going senior there would be not enough spots in Ice Dance, counting only guranteed ones with 8 spots per event. So maybe federations agreed to add, so they could actually use hosts picks?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It helps every single host country:

USA: Hawayek & Baker have two. Pogrebinsky & Benoit have one. Cannuscio & McManus have a shot at two if they are selected for SA.
Russia: Bobrova & Soloviev, Ilinykh & Zhiganshin, and Stepanova & Bukin have two. Zahorsky & Guerrero have one. And they have room to invite Popova & Mozgov if they wish.
Canada: Paul & Islam have two.
NHK: Muramoto & Reed have two.
China: Wang & Liu have two.
France: Lauriault & Le Gac have two.

None of those were guaranteed, and most would not have happened with 8 spots.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
TBDs for Each Event:

Skate America
1 for Men
1 for Ladies
1 for Pairs
1 for Ice Dance

Skate Canada
1 for Men
1 for Ladies
1 for Pairs

Rostelecom Cup
1 for Men
1 for Ice Dance

Trophee de France
FULL

Cup of China
1 for Men
1 for Ladies
1 for Ice Dance

NHK Trophy
1 for Pairs

These are all reserved for the host but some could could open up for other athletes if no one is picked, let's speculate over the last few spots:coffee: