2017 World Ladies SP | Page 115 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies SP

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I came back to watching Figure Skating early this season and was checking out the top contenders in each field, I think I closed the video of Medvedeva halfway through her program.

So you missed like all of her jumps then since they aren't in the first half :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'd like to remind everyone that Yuna hasn't competed in 3 years, so however she was marked in the past has nothing to do with the scores at 2017 Worlds. The basis of comparison for Evgenia's marks are those of Kaetlyn, Gabrielle, Anna, etc.

No, any performance can be compared to another. That's exactly what judges need to be doing and need to understand. The whole point of CoP is that the scores are supposed to be universal. Obviously in the past the scores were lower, judges wouldn't go as high on the components. But regardless, IF the judges were actually doing their jobs, then there's no way Medvedeva would be getting such high components. Regardless if people in the past were not given a high enough score, Medvedeva's level here was not as good, and thus she should not be getting 9's on components.

I did really enjoy her new rippon 3T on her combo though.

I agree with this. Her 3F+3T combo in this form is more impressive now. The interesting thing is that I think she is actually cheating a bit less now on the toeloop entrance with this variation. She seems to be getting into the air slightly quicker, instead of pulling around so much. It was very good. Still doesn't deserve +3 GOE, but +2 is actually fair now.

clippers8200

On the Ice
I personally cannot understand why her programs do anything for anyone, but I respect her and her fans. I think she works incredibly hard - her jump consistency is out of this world and her transitions are great.

I'm just not a fan of her presentation style or her general jumping technique. It doesn't seem very smooth....seems labored and lanky as others have mentioned. I honestly don't understand the scores at least by measures of what I think the scoring system SHOULD be. But she's probably crafting her programs under what the score system is and maximizing as much as she can. She's playing the game -- doesn't do much for me, but I guess it gets points. More power to her for doing that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*wakes up and wanders into ladies' SP thread*

Oh, 153 pages? Evgenia must have skated really well and got a big score for it.

*checks score* *checks last two or three pages*

Yep. Oh no, how dare an evil Russian kick butt...:sarcasm: Oh no, how dare a skater be better than precious Yuna...:sarcasm:

Oh look, the classic argument about the program music that AVERBUKH PICKED, NOT EVGENIA.

leafygreens

Final Flight
OMG that is what is called!! Hammer-toe! Thank you for that!!! I have also noticed that she winds up really hard. Her 2A-2T-2T is pretty damn uncomfortable to watch to be honest. It feels like any minute she is going to 2-foot the 2T like Adelina's horrid jump in her "gold" sochi FP.

The way Med jumps is so labored. It's not like entry-jump-exit; it's bend over, swing arms back, kick really hard, swing arms up - then finally jump. She is consistent with landings, but very floppy, bendy, and too much movement at the beginning. Since you mention Adelina, she was very much the same way bending her back over and hammering in that toe.

guitarist

On the Ice
Eh, I'm honestly not a huge fan of her skating, but it's a points game, so she's doing what she has to do to win. I think if the system were different, she'd focus more on different aspects of skating, but as it stands, she's been doing exactly what she needs, so why bother? If the other skaters could do the rippon or backloading they'd probably do it too. I'm not a huge fan of Ladies SPs because they all have pretty much the same layout, but I respect what she's doing, and she seems like a very nice kid, so I don't understand why she gets quite so much hate.

EDIT: I will say that I cannot stand River Flows in You, though...

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Oh, 153 pages? Evgenia must have skated really well and got a big score for it.

She didn't even get a new WR though. Even as someone who's neutral on Zhenya, the fact that her score being 'too high' is the main complain of so many people here after these scores overall is bloody hilarious.

Oh, and IMO she improved a lot from last season when I saw her at GPF. I really hate the choreo too, but I'd like to see her with some great choreo, she definitely deserves better. Best 3-3 I remember seeing her do too, the Tano with both arms on the 3T is nice!

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
So we are in a situation kind of like gymnastics. The Russian and Chinese gymnasts have beautiful lines, straight knees, pointed toes and extended bodies but they always lose to Americans who do harder skills with slightly bent knees and a poorer form but just right enough so that the judges can't ding them for bad execution

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I am watching my way through videos. :popcorn: And thoughts!

Pogorilaya: Apart from the wobbly spin, great job. She exudes a lot of confidence.

Wagner: Her performance quality is amazing.

Daleman: :jaw: Unfortunately, I am convinced that the video I was watching skipped part of her program.

Tursynbaeva: She's adorable. (I say this, and I am younger that her. :slink:)

Chen: :love:

Osmond: Her jumps seem like they're falling out of the air.

Higuchi: This is still my favorite SP of the season. I love its haunting mood.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I don't get all the harping on Ashley's SP music/choreo? How can anyone dislike a song as cool as Sweet Dreams? And her choreo fits that song well, she performs with great energy. She was one of the most engaging ladies, at here in the arena.

It's exhibition - like. I like it, but I can understand the harping too. Ashley sells it well though, but that's rather expected.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
So we are in a situation kind of like gymnastics. The Russian and Chinese gymnasts have beautiful lines, straight knees, pointed toes and extended bodies but they always lose to Americans who do harder skills with slightly bent knees and a poorer form but just right enough so that the judges can't ding them for bad execution

Yeah, and the Russians and Chinese are way behind on many things and are shells of what they used to be. I'm saying that as someone who was one of the biggest supporters of Chinese and Russian/Soviet gymnastics.

christinaskater

Medalist
I loved the SP
Medvedeva delivered! She's really good but I believe she is overrated and has the
Russianflation scores. I believe judges should reward more mature artistry IMHO.
Her backloading and arm raising works and if her program layout works for her, why change.
If it ain't broke don't change it.

My faves for the night were
Katelyn- she just flew in the air! She skated with abandon.
She should be first in my opinion.
Karen Chen skated so well! Everything was stunning. Based on my analysis
She didn't underrotate her Triple toe. Her lutz is so high but it doesn't mean that the toe is lower it's UR.

Wakaba was phenomenal! I just wish she wasn't stubborn and should've done triple loop to prevent negative GOE!
There's no point being stubborn.

Anna was good.

I'm not a fan of Maria Sotskova, she looked so scared out there. She delivered nonetheless. I just find
her skating a bit boring and bland. She is just 16 after all.

Gabby was amazing! I thought she would succumb to the pressure of hearing Medvedeva 's over the top scores and she nailed it. She's just getting better and better. There are moments she plays pretty girl and seems to lose character.
She should embody the character a bit more. Nonetheless, she skated brilliantly! That triple toe triple
Toe was spectacular .

So sad for Mai- the 4CC title and the pressure to secure 3 spots for Japan took its toll on her.

I'm so proud of Rika. Even if she's injured, she gave it her all. I was really sad seeing her well up at the K&C.

jkun

Final Flight
The same can be said for Yuna who has basically similar jump layouts in her programs after the Olys 2010.
but nobody's nitpicking on that lest they get shouted off the Internet now, do they?

Medvedeva is such a young girl who only debuted in the senior scene last season - why is everyone expecting her to have programs/ style repertoire of far more seasoned skaters who have years to find their style/ have varied program under her wings already is what I don't get

Because she's getting points as if she has already found the perfect programs already.

jkun

Final Flight
I agree with this. Her 3F+3T combo in this form is more impressive now. The interesting thing is that I think she is actually cheating a bit less now on the toeloop entrance with this variation. She seems to be getting into the air slightly quicker, instead of pulling around so much. It was very good. Still doesn't deserve +3 GOE, but +2 is actually fair now.

Definitely. I was pleasantly surprised by how she limited her usual "winding up" before the 3T. Definitely looked much more aesthetically pleasing than her usual tano.

whatif

Medalist
The thread title needs changing to "Yuna appreciation/nostalgia" ???

Anyway, All is going as I predicated. The top two as they should be and Pogo will jump a spot or two in the free. Canadians delivered. Japan is so much in danger losing the 3d spot next year. But knowing Osmand's and Daleman's habit to bomb in free, I am hoping they pull up?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
No, any performance can be compared to another. That's exactly what judges need to be doing and need to understand. The whole point of CoP is that the scores are supposed to be universal.

I disagree, mainly because in large events like this, the judges need to have the full range of scores available for proper classification. If you have a ceiling of 8 for PCS scores because some long-retired skater earned 8.5's, you have reduced by 20% the possible scores a judge can give. When you have events with 37 competitors like today's SP, the judges need as much of that range as possible.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Catching up with the ladies from earlier groups - I couldn't watch it continuousy ... Ivett really took my attention from those! Michael Jackson medley was epic and Rippon double axel incredible.

What a fun program and crisp performance, well done! Score above 60 is also nice, 14th after SP is a big improvement over last year where she did not qualify to LP. She really made big improvements in her skating and interpretation over last year :) It was also nice to watch Julia Gór - Sebestyen in K'n'C as well.

I watched live Laurine, program was beautiful but that big fall on combo was costly. I think she should stay with 3T-3T combo for a while ... I am sad, but at least she's in LP too and
can get Olympic place for France. We will see Sandy and cool costume change. :biggrin: :luv17:

Last edited: