2017 GP Cup of China Ladies SP | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Ladies SP

Art&Sport

Medalist
i really want Mai on podium, won't be easy though. Alina is a podium lock unless she bombs (which i doubt). idk if Gabby and Elena will have clean FS, Wakaba is quite consistent lately. my dream podium is Alina, Mai, Wakaba. still there is Marin, Gabby and Elena so it's really hard to predict. i think Elena should have got UR on her 3T though

I agree with you, except I'd prefer Wakaba, Gabby, Mai. I know it's not going to happen though since Alina is a lock with the judges, much like Medvedeva, even though neither are as great artistically as they are scored.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
He's performing this weekend so you all are stuck with the horrible substitute commentator most likely all weekend. Enjoy! :laugh:

Thank the lawd he's gone! Thought it was just for the first day. :pray:

Tracy Wilson is a godsend.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I agree with everything Mark Henretty said from British Eurosport about Wakaba. She has been just fantastic all season!!! So refreshing to see someone just go for it. Her speed, power, and the commitment to the music is just so incredible. To think Dave & Jonathan from TSL continue to write her off as some jumping bean... Well, their loss!

Wakaba for an Olympic Medal

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
... My girl Amber Glenn :palmf:

Oh boy, that was disastrous for Amber. And she looks so beautiful on the ice. Plus she's such a great jumper. Is it growing pains and trying to get used to physical changes? Or is it just a lack of self-belief or some combination of both, plus nerves? She didn't show any fight at all for those jumps, and that's just sad.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
It's not about not being lucky. It's about not being scored fairly. At Worlds earlier this year, the Japanese ladies did not skate well, but at this competition, they were all low-balled in the scores. Wakaba should be in first by a larger margin, IMHO. And I think Daleman, although she skated fairly clean, she is not yet in great command of her new programs presentation-wise as were Wakaba and Radionova. I would have Wakaba in first, and Daleman in second by a slight margin over Radionova, since Daleman is stronger technically. Obviously, the positioning can change drastically in the fp. With the way the judges fawn over her, Zagitova will likely win if she skates clean in the fp.

As much as I like Daleman, I'm not sure her fp music selection is that suited to her. Unless she's been able to work out some of the issues she had in her debut, I don't see her remaining in first. Wakaba was great at her last competition, so if she skates clean, she will surely be on the podium. It's just a shame that the judges don't wish to reward her deservedly.

Why was Mihara being held back in the scores? I think Zagitova is stronger technically than she is maturity and presentation-wise, and she was over-scored, especially for having fallen. Yes, she performed her other jumps well, but it's just a conceit that Zagitova is all that good artistically. Marin deserves better scores artistically.

Seemingly, it's Daleman's World medal rep status that helped her in the marks based on a clean sp.

I agree with this. Stupid status scoring. Also, did anyone notice that general field lowballing with top 3 programs just within 1 point away from each other is exactly what was done in Sochi? The reason for this is to level the field so that in FS, all factors going well, the "political favorite" will win. :rolleye:

Globetrotter

Medalist
Haven't actually watched anyone yet, but man, the LP is going to be a total nailbiter. I expect Alina to win the LP and overall, in all honesty - it's a program she's 100% comfortable with and can do in her sleep.

Elena and Liza standing up and letting Maria Sotskova know that there's no way in heck she's getting that 3rd spot without a fight. (Elena tends to be way more of a mess in the LP though, unfortunately - not sure what to expect from Liza.)

My girl Amber Glenn :palmf:

Yay Gabby!

Ok I know she's been under the radar these days but did you not find Liza Tuks was appearing to enjoy her skate today and attacking her elements? I hadn't seen this level of positivity from her in a while. Her past lackluster performance meant her PCS had dropped but today, I will think she deserved higher on PE, IN for the energetic display which I can tell the audience enjoyed. The 3Lz also deserves better GOE for the height, distance and great flow out and transitions and it hit right at the crescendo.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I agree with this. Stupid status scoring. Also, did anyone notice that general field lowballing with top 3 programs just within 1 point away from each other is exactly what was done in Sochi? The reason for this is to level the field so that in FS, all factors going well, the "political favorite" will win. :rolleye:

They want to make it all about backloading and features, little care on quality and artistry. Sad..

The Japanese ladies are all brilliant in their own way which makes judges' job more difficult, so any favourable PCS impressions they may get on their own is cancelled by the other two being in contention. Putting them all in the same competition is a strategic nightmare.

Wakaba had higher PCS in Lombardia. Marin's PCS is still really undermarked, which is really obvious when you compare her with Alina with a fall, one immediately after the other. I am curious to what will happen in the FS as she and Mai will appear in the early flight. Alina had 67 PCS in her season debut, Marin had 60 PCS for a flawless skate (if you don't count the strict < x2). Nice to see Wakaba is really making a case for herself, hope her Bond goes out with a bang! Gabby won by virtue of her big 3t3t and only Canadian flag bearer in the competition, but Wakaba is certainly no slouched in the jump department (although !3F is costly). I must be the only one (or one of the few) happy for Radionova... I'd be majorly p**sed off if she loses PCS to Alina.

moriel

Record Breaker
They want to make it all about backloading and features, little care on quality and artistry. Sad..

The Japanese ladies are all brilliant in their own way which makes judges' job more difficult, so any favourable PCS impressions they may get on their own is cancelled by the other two being contention. Putting them all in the same competition is a strategic nightmare.

Wakaba had higher PCS in Lombardia. Marin's PCS is still really undermarked, which is really obvious when you compare her with Alina with a fall, one immediately after the other. I am curious to what will happen in the FS as she and Mai will appear in the early flight. Alina had 67 PCS in her season debut, Marin had 60 PCS for a flawless skate (if you don't count the strict < x2). Nice to see Wakaba is really making a case for herself, hope her Bond goes out with a bang! Gabby won by virtual of her big 3t3t and only Canadian flag bearer in the competition, but Wakaba is certainly no slouched in the jump department (although !3F is costly). I must be the only one (or one of the few) happy for Radionova... I'd be majorly p**sed off she loses PCS to Alina.

Actually looks like just Mai will skate at 1st group:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpchn2017/SEG004.HTM

Globetrotter

Medalist
You know what that reminds me of?? Frank Carroll insisting on Gracie putting in the flip in the SP when she doubled it so much!

That is so headbanger untactical! Done well, an edge jump like a 3R is less jarring and it only makes sense for Wakaba and Gracie whose 3Rs are steadier than their lippy like 3F.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Can someone explain why Gabby is in the lead with a 70+ score when she did a 3T-3T? I don't care how good it was, there's no excuse for that sort of thing. And with that layback, seems a little fishy to me in my opinion.

MIM

Medalist
I am rewatching ladies with B.euro commentary. Gabby is amazing!!! She gives me a motion sickness by just watching her glide and skate on the ice. That speed!!! :bow:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
As I predicted there are 7 podium contenders - everyone of them is still in the game. Placements are in general fair as no one has multiple point margins. Everyone showed their strengths and weaknesses. I read just a few last pages - no surprises from posters - whatever the result is someone is going to be unhappy.

My 2 cents on scores, URs, and edges

Mihara - was not confident, had a clear UR on 3T and was called. The score is 100% fair.

Honda - lovely as she usually is, had a borderline 3F which was not called and a clear UR on 3T which was called. I would have her pcs at the level of Mihara to give her 0.5 point lead.

Tuktamysheva - had the best SP since very long. Her textbook jumps were not appreciated enough especially lutz. Her low pcs shows no former WC reputation left. I think she was underscored by 2 points - 1 for jump GOE and 1 for pcs.

Zagitova - has the most difficult program. No one including Medvedeva is able to do anything similar. But she fell. I looked 1080p in slo-mo: 3Lo was rotated. As a result of the fall lost about 3.5 TES and 0.5 pcs. If she were clean it would mean 73.5 which is fair. Hence, her 69.5 is fair as well.

Radionova - her 3T was clearly underotated and was not called. This means 2 points in TES. Everything else is fair including her 33 pcs. I would give her 68.5 just behind Liza - her former arch-rival.

Higuchi - her 3T is still very URed and was not called this time. This is 2 points. I would add 1 point in pcs as today she had a light overall margin over others. This would mean 69.5 at par with Alina.

Daleman - the only problem is that lutz was clearly ! This would mean minus 0.5 points as it was scored not high even without the call.

All in all my "fair" scores and placements:

Daleman - 70
Higuchi, Zagitova - 69.5
Tuktamysheva - 69
Radionova - 68.5
Honda - 67.5
Mihara - 67

In other words, based on what I saw they should be even closer than actually they are. It makes it even more true that everything will be determined in the free skate.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Can someone explain why Gabby is in the lead with a 70+ score when she did a 3T-3T? I don't care how good it was, there's no excuse for that sort of thing. And with that layback, seems a little fishy to me in my opinion.

even the edge on the lutz isn't clearly on the outside.

Me too i'm not too okay with the placements, but the gap between all these skaters is almost invisible so the door is wide open.

Globetrotter

Medalist

Actually I have no issues with her combo - it flew across with huge ht and deserves great GOE. The 3Lz was effy and I think it deserves lower. The main thing is she got the highest PCS. I wasn't too blown away but I don't deny also that she did well in trying to sell her programme. Personally, I will rather have Wakaba a little ahead but the scores are so close it won't really matter. Whoever skates better in the LP will win.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Can someone explain why Gabby is in the lead with a 70+ score when she did a 3T-3T? I don't care how good it was, there's no excuse for that sort of thing.

You should ask the same question to the judges who gave Kostner 74+ with the same combo and even a lower technical content (3lo instead of 3lz like Daleman).

ask

Match Penalty
The gap between Daleman and the 2nd and third should be higher. Higuchi´s 3T should have been URed. Zagitova´s 3Lo should have been URed as well.

Marin´s 3F should have been called UR as well. They called for everyone else last week.