2017 GP Cup of China Ladies FS | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Ladies FS

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The choreography of Zagitova's program was PACKED full of DIFFICULT and MEANINGFUL CONTENT arranged perfectly according to music and she skated it with CONVICTION, almost no pause or hesitation.

This is a ballet, the dancers often perform their leaps with hands aloft.

Zagitova is smart to match her tanos and Rippons to a ballet.

All her movements are exactly balletic, amazing she did it on ice.

Her form in many of the movements is NOT to the level of what would be expected in ballet, I don't think you know what you're talking about. Beyond that, much of it is not meaningful. The jumps later in the program just become repetitive, they don't provide any kind of special interpretation of the music, even if she does them on the beats of music. Her transitions are overrated in this program as well, there's no truly spectacular movements, just many movements. Especially because her jumps lack flow out.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Seriously. Alina is great, but the overscoring makes the whole idea of a competition pointless. But well, at least in the olympics she will face the overscoring queen so at least we can expect a little bit of a russian battle for the gold. Such a shame that equally talented ladies will be left in the dust without reputation scores, like Wakaba here.

Wakaba scores like Alina. Where is underscoring? Osmond falling on *** gets about 140, and that's underscoring as well? You serious?

madison

Record Breaker
You like it or not, Alina is really really good in this free program. It's obvious she's comfortable with it, a little bit playful and childish but so authentic. I believe her when she skates this program, she's really from the story.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Interesting to note that if Zagitova had her 3Lz marked fully rotated, she would have gotten about 2 points (plus GOE) on her technical mark.

Nika09

On the Ice
Mai could end up second in France if everyone will go clean. She didn't skate out full potential of her programs, was robbed and still 206 huge score. But thanks God judges have PCS to hold her down no matter how much she'll gain in TES. There're also mysterious edge and UR calls for you know, any case, if their podium candidates won't be cleanish.
So yes, it seems Mai won't be in GPF.

But depends on Satoko's performances, she still has chance to grab that second spot in Olympic team. Who cares though. There will be the same things with that damn scoring. Worlds maybe?

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Wakaba was robbed TWICE in this grand prix alone and that's not okay.

qwertyskates

Medalist
So we just had gorgeous competition with fair judging, all the ladies did their best and what we have?

"oh, those Russian girls, how can they win, Japanese were better because they are so pretty and interpret the music so I love them all!1111oneoneone11!"
"oh, backloading how can they, not balanced at all and so ugly!"
"lord, those tanos, I can't with them, there should be minus goe for tano jumps, it's so unfair"
"I actually didn't like the 1st part of Mai's skating but she's behind Russian girls so she was robbed!"
"so many transitions look bad, why can't they just do some spirals and smile to the audience, it's much better!"

You're right, not ever in any competition have I seen such hatred pouring out for a skater who did an amazing performance and rightfully won.

She is completely in character, her tanos and Rippons are exactly matched to leaps and cabrioles in ballet.

Her transitions are all based on ballet movements, incredibly difficult on ice.

bixby

Final Flight
You like it or not, Alina is really really good in this free program. It's obvious she's comfortable with it, a little bit playful and childish but so authentic. I believe her when she skates this program, she's really from the story.

AUTHENTIC is the word I was looking for. Evgenia doesn't give you that, it's all fake on the face.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Her form in many of the movements is NOT to the level of what would be expected in ballet, I don't think you know what you're talking about. Beyond that, much of it is not meaningful. The jumps later in the program just become repetitive, they don't provide any kind of special interpretation of the music, even if she does them on the beats of music. Her transitions are overrated in this program as well, there's no truly spectacular movements, just many movements. Especially because her jumps lack flow out.

Excuse me, I'm a ballet dancer. ;)

Kayyyn

Rinkside
I got an idea how to become a thumbs up champion at GS. You just need to write in each ladies thread "name of a Russian skater" was so overscored and "name of non-Russian skater" was so underscored and 10+ thumbs ups are yours. You can do it in every second page to collect more than 100 of those per thread :)

Well, of course, it's going to last as long as they are winning.
be ez on them they just afraid from alina u know evgenia already slaying there favs for 2 years now

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Why's all the whining? The judges made it interesting, no gap almost. Ideal for many:rolleye:

madison

Record Breaker
Wakaba has an interesting program, but unfortunately she often skates not on the music, but near the music, or she's taking time to prepare the jumps (too long). It's true that she has better speed but equally true is the fact that it's easier to have speed when you don't have many transitions and don't follow the music, you just do crossovers.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
AUTHENTIC is the word I was looking for. Evgenia doesn't give you that, it's all fake on the face.
It's a good word for figure skating. I certainly enjoy an authentic skate, where the skater looks genuine, with natural emotions. That might be the one thing about Medvedeva. While I do enjoy her skating a lot overall, I don't really get that...

bixby

Final Flight

Check out Osmond's program! She has very square and robotic arms most of the time but gets the PCS and SILVER at worlds. (Deservedly so).

But I don't think Alina is overrated or any part of her program. The packaging is so smart and very cohesive as a whole program.

whatif

Medalist
After seeing Higuchi and Medveveda skate back to back live. You can't help but notice that Higuchi appears to skate from one jump to another. Very powerful and fast but nothing much happening and lots of telegraphing. While Eteri's girls appear to show that it is harder to do what they do as it's non-stop elements. I am not judging what's right but that's the impression.

madison

Record Breaker
It's a good word for figure skating. I certainly enjoy an authentic skate, where the skater looks genuine, with natural emotions. That might be the one thing about Medvedeva. While I do enjoy her skating a lot overall, I don't really get that...

Exactly the same happens to me :slink:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
If Evgenia and Alina face off at the final and both skate clean, I'll give it to Alina.

Evgenia might have the reputation, but I think if you put them side by side Alina may have a better "overall" presentation. She doesn't come across "gawky" when she jump and not all super dramatic on the face like you know it's all acting.

This is just not true. We can look it from another angle. Half of the people here think that Wakaba should have won CoC. Following the logic if Alina should win over Medvedeva and Wakaba should win over Zagitova then Wakaba should win over clean Medvedeva? With all due respect it is very far from reality.

Alina is on the right track but it terms of artistry and overall excellence she still has a long way to reach Medvedeva's level.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Wakaba was robbed TWICE in this grand prix alone and that's not okay.

Clearly consistency is over rated.. Her PCS actually shrunk with consistency. :laugh: