2018 US Championships Sr. Pairs SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Pairs SP

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:luv17: Tarah and Danny!!!:love: Danny's got the best smile in pairs skating. Just such joy, enjoyment of skating, love of what they're doing. And Tarah has really gotten more precision in her movements. I agree with the commentator that Danny really shines in the footwork.

And: they're wearing the same costumes as they did for their MUSIC of the Night LP in 2016. I love it!

bobbob

Medalist
I know it is early but I sense the Knerims are favored for the Oly and adding Kayne O Shea for world's. Both are capable of beating the no. 2 and 3 Canadians.

Kayne and O'Shea are definitely not capable of beating the No.2 canadians, or the No.3 or the No.4... their scores here today were insanely inflated...the quality of their elements is very low, they should have been 10 points below S/K...I kid you not internationally they would have gotten around 10 points less than S/K...S/K would prob have gotten ~68 while them around 58. Another example of shoddy nationals judging.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
There were some nice moments from Allison and Justin. I hope they stay together and keep working. They bring a different dynamic to the table.

Nathan13

Medalist
Kayne and O'Shea are definitely not capable of beating the No.2 canadians, or the No.3 or the No.4... their scores here today were insanely inflated...the quality of their elements is very low, they should have been 10 points below S/K...I kid you not internationally they would have gotten around 10 points less than S/K...S/K would prob have gotten ~68 while them around 58. Another example of shoddy nationals judging.

The quality of their SBS jumps is very low? :confused:

ozmodiar

On the Ice
Thank you. I guess I need sleep, because I'm still confused. Is this Group 2 then? When was the warm-up? :scratch:

The group 2 warmup was right after group 1. There were only 3 teams in group 1 so maybe it was earlier than you thought?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking past the Olympics for a moment, what does the U.S. need to do at worlds to get a second pairs spot back?

We have the second spot for Worlds already for this year. All the 2 teams need to do is keep them. It was a rule only for the Olympics that resulted in our having only one spot.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quote Originally Posted by jcmerman View Post
is IceNetwork choppy for anyone else?

Is the sky blue? :biggrin:

I actually wouldn't know though... watching on NBCOlympics.

I've had zero problems with Ice Network, yesterday or today .... in spite of the fact that we're in the middle of being socked in by lake effect snow, and the sky is light gray to white with fog! :)

bobbob

Medalist
The quality of their SBS jumps is very low? :confused:

Their SBS was pretty much the only element of theirs stronger than S/K, while S/K had stronger twist, throw (despite mistake), spins, lift, steps, spiral, etc. yet the TES was the same??? That twist should have been downgraded...they should have lost 4 points in comparison to S/K right there.

gold12345

Medalist

I completely agree. I find Kayne & O'Shea's score quite disturbing. There's no way in heck they should have gotten such similar TES as S/K. Perhaps S/K missed levels or something. But there are more major elements in a pairs program than just the SBS jump. I'm wondering who is chosen to judge these National level events and if they all have proper education and international level judging experience in pair skating. K/O just don't have anything close to the pair element quality of S/K. The twist and throws are so drastically different, not to mention K/O did a much simpler throw (not well either). These two scores wouldn't have been close in an international event.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Good skate from Knerims. They should be happy with that.

If only they could be clean i wonder how high they would score.

Oh please with the settling for mediocre. And saying 'that's all they needed to do." Not in my book. Knierims are over-scored obviously. They would not get near that high score internationally for that sp effort. The only thing that makes them better is being favored with a top coach, and being around long enough to improve on some polishing and fine-tuning. Their biggest weapon is their quad-twist, triple twist elements, thanks to Delilah coming from a high flying trapeze circus family, and knowing how to train pairs lifts and throw twist elements for maximum quality.

I know it is early but I sense the Knerims are favored for the Oly and adding Kayne O Shea for world's. Both are capable of beating the no. 2 and 3 Canadians.

Of course the Knierims are favored. It's nice for them going in to know the stakes aren't that high for them at Nationals. I wish some other teams would throw down and at least make this more interesting. K/O were decent in their comeback from her injury. K/O's throw twist is not strong though, and they performed a less difficult throw. The judges have kept K/O back far enough

But please neither Knierims nor Kayne/O'Shea are locks for beating #2 and #3 Canadian teams (no matter whether M-T/M, S/B or I/M). Sure they can be competitive with those three teams, but I don't see K/O necessarily beating any of them, and Knierims possibly might, but they wouldn't necessarily beat I/M and S/B at their absolute best. Knierims did not beat I/M at Worlds in 2017, and that's a fact. And Knierims only just got ahead of injury comeback S/B by four points. Plus, Knierims were behind the yukky Marchei/Hotarek. The second Italian team are much improved and could be highly competitive. The boring third Russians are often given gift points. All 3 Chinese teams are highly competitive and could be in front of Knierims or if not at least 2 Chinese are bound to be in front of the Knierims. The French team J/C have great programs and have performed consistently well this season. The top two Russian teams for sure will top Knierims unless S/K have serious issues.

Knierims will be lucky to improve on their Worlds 10th place. If they get back a solid quad-twist (which is their main weapon), it would help them. There's no reason right now to think any of our teams are going to be very competitive in the deep international pairs field. It's going to take awhile, because U.S. pairs do not have good rep internationally. Rep wasn't high to begin with, but it's taken a greater hit over the last couple of years, with our teams' injuries and struggling for form while the pairs division is moving ahead at a rapid pace.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I am enjoying Brooke Castile's wonderful commentary on IN. She has very good insights, so it's nice listening to her.

Kayne and O'Shea did fine. No problem about their scores. Let's wait and see how some other teams stack up, like Denny and Frazer.( S-K & K were excellent, though.)

I completely agree. I find Kayne & O'Shea's score quite disturbing. There's no way in heck they should have gotten such similar TES as S/K. Perhaps S/K missed levels or something. But there are more major elements in a pairs program than just the SBS jump. I'm wondering who is chosen to judge these National level events and if they all have proper education and international level judging experience in pair skating. K/O just don't have anything close to the pair element quality of S/K. The twist and throws are so drastically different, not to mention K/O did a much simpler throw (not well either). These two scores wouldn't have been close in an international event.

Yes I'm sure the judging panel is made up of unqualified judges without proper training. There sure is a lot of hate for K/O. Give them a break, they're coming off a serious injury from before and during last year's nats. That was a beauty of a performance considering all they've been through. Agreed their twist is a weak element and needs improvement. Perhaps the judges were sending SK/K a message...get those SBS jumps together...because we have other quality teams nipping on your heels? The anointed ones did have a stumble leading into their throw (good on them for completing the element). And yes there are more major elements in a pairs program than a SBS jump OR gorgeous twist. The twist and jumps likely evened out the tech score.

mice

On the Ice
Wow, what a skate. I have never seen this pair before (international viewer here!) but they gave me goosebumps. So expressive. Beautiful program.

TMC

Record Breaker
Wow indeed! I’m glad they went back to this programme :)