2018 US Championships Sr. Free Dance | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Free Dance

Cleo

On the Ice
Haw/Baker had the second highest tech score (after Ch/Bates).

Shibs lost 1.5 base points in downgrade of Diagonal Step Sequence from level 4 to 3. Cost them the win.

Only 0.52 pts diff between 1st and 3rd.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Zach and Madison are now at the boards with their families and there are a lot of tears again. It’s lovely to see.

envious for your experience! Could You just tell fresh from it if Madison/Zach's FD performance really felt this magnetic like it was on screen?:)

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone know about skating spectacular?

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
:eek:topic: but watching ice desk and Alexa is so cute. I think it was when they asked if they were going to do anything different then they have been doing leading up to the OG and Alexa said that she woke up this morning and for the first time she kissed an Olympian. :luv17:

TCAngel18

Medalist
Haw/Baker had the second highest tech score (after Ch/Bates).

Shibs lost 1.5 base points in downgrade of Diagonal Step Sequence from level 4 to 3. Cost them the win.

Only 0.52 pts diff between 1st and 3rd.

But then Madi/Zach also did a level 2 dance spin, so maybe a wash.

slider11

Medalist
Shibs were second by 0.19. If they had just put a little more in their last choreographic lift and received a few more 3s they would have won. Shows you need to put out until the very end. But that would have caused a huge uproar with the H/D folks that this was fixed to make the Shibs win. In the big scheme (Olympic podium) I think this will serve the Shibs well.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
When I started watching tonight I had a feeling that H/D were going to win, something about the look on their faces during warm-up. I'm happy for them. I have no clear favourite among these three wonderful teams that stood on the podium.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I didn't watch the event I'm just looking at the results. Is there any particular reason why Shibs fell down to second place (and why they finished 3rd in the FD)? I mean like a fall or fallout on the twizzles or any visible mistake on an element? Or is it just levels?

madibe

On the Ice
Hubbell/Donahue: YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Although they lost levels, still the best performance they've given of this free dance all season. Looks like the results of the GPF played a role here and allowed the judges the freedom to put their eggs H/D's basket PCS-wise. Madison has transformed herself into a leading lady this season--she's projecting a confidence, skating skills, and star-power that should elevate her into comparison with Tessa Virtue and Gabriella Papadakis. To me, while Tessa is queen, Madison is the second best female ice-dancer in the world right now. Will the Olympic judges allow 3 teams from the same country on the podium?

Shibutani's: It seems like they have been trying to capture the feeling behind their Fix You free dance in 2016 for the past two years. Adding some of the Fix You music to the Paradise free dance felt a little desperate. Because their greatest strength is their consistency, will the mistakes in the last two events accelerate the perception that they are being left behind? I'm also interested to see if we'll see them at another Nationals. I get the sense that they may continue, setting up an interesting rivalry with Hubbell/Donahue.

Chock/Bates: What exactly was the point, from a political perspective ( which seems to be all the judges at this event were interested in) in putting them in first in the free dance? While I thought they were moving in a better direction with their programs last year, they seem to be presenting a completely different story of themselves this year. I don't think they've ever had a free dance that says anything important or compelling. Since they've started dating, it doesn't seem like their emotional connection or Evan's skating ability has progressed.

Hawayek/Baker: Lovely. Receiving essentially the same score in the FD as the Shibutani's will be a huge confidence boost. They have star power, but are inconsistent and emotional, which means their fans are in for a roller coaster over the next 4 years.

Parson/Parson: They should break up and find partners they aren't related to. The girl has star potential.

Tanith Belbin: Could she be more of a pleasure to listen to?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And to add - I kind of predicted that scenario in SD thead, but menioned Madion/Zach going last - guess even that was not necessary:laugh:. For me, it's just something about the magnetism and raw honesty radiating about this FD program, it perfectly captures this feeling and message of the Beth Hart's song and this egdy state of falling in love. It really drives the imagination and engages into their skate I think, good for them to starting benefitting from that execution-wise.

Actually their dance is about infidelity, but either way, YAY for Madison and Zach! :cheer:

tzazu

Medalist
I didn't watch the event I'm just looking at the results. Is there any particular reason why Shibs fell down to second place (and why they finished 3rd in the FD)? I mean like a fall or fallout on the twizzles or any visible mistake on an element? Or is it just levels?

A bit of all, but the twizzles. I mean a visible mistake and some levels

StormyCloudss

On the Ice

Very nearly a fall from Maia on a step sequence, Alex was literally holding her up. Lost a level on that. Wasn't some tiny thing that only the tech caller could see, it was glaring :(

Was it a MASSIVE earthquake that just happened ? Things like this usually never happen. SO glad for HD, well deserved victory. Hard to take for both other teams. That doesn't mean the Olys outcome will be alike though.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Well, in my predictions I put Maddy & Zack as gold medalists, hoping -- and they came through. So happy for them! IMHO they are the best of the US teams but often makes mistakes. Not this time, although still some little areas to improve. What a fierce competition.