2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens SP | Page 164 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens SP

zschultz1986

Final Flight
There rather have to be outcry WHY there is no Ross Minor, why there is Zhou at Olympics; how on earth one can dare to do such a PSYCHOLOGICA ABUSE, psychological cruelty to the skater! Not my business, though, I am not American but a psychological abuse against Ross seems to me a mind blowing. It was his place to be there, at Olympics, and he EARNED his place by being second at Nationals. And I am sure he would have skated much better than Zhou; not everything is predictable by logic only. Anyway, all the best to Zhou, not his fault how a decision was made.

The criteria for the selection were out there for years. Under which, the team should have been Jason, Adam, and Nathan. Ross has done basically NOTHING internationally. He had ONE good competition.

Putina

On the Ice
It makes sense if your statement was for a country with no figure skating background.

I do not understand what this means. Are you saying that no one noticed the Nathan Chen hype on the NBC, or that those who noticed were already aware of him? And the NBC was not hoping to get new viewers via its hyping of Chen?

cell

On the Ice
Anyone else who loved Jun-hwan Cha's performance/program? First of all, I love that music, and he completely sold it. He is a talent...

withwings

On the Ice
The criteria for the selection were out there for years. Under which, the team should have been Jason, Adam, and Nathan. Ross has done basically NOTHING internationally. He had ONE good competition.

Thank you. It makes a sense in Ross case. Thanks.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
I do not understand what this means. Are you saying that no one noticed the Nathan Chen hype on the NBC, or that those who noticed were already aware of him? And the NBC was not hoping to get new viewers via its hyping of Chen?

I agree with you.
I saw a few pieces of NBC on youtube a couple of weeks before the Olympics and I was a little bit offended. I can understand the hype for your country man as a hook for more viewers, especially after his performance at Nationals, but not the misinformation about Nathan's real opportunities (it sounded like an obvious gold) or the way they absolutely ignored the rest of the medals´ contenders.
As a figure skating fan, I was offended by those pieces and I really felt sorry for Nathan. When I saw his SP at the team event and yesterday, I wasn't surprised at all.

curious

Final Flight
I agree with you.
I saw a few pieces of NBC on youtube a couple of weeks before the Olympics and I was a little bit offended. I can understand the hype for your country man as a hook for more viewers, especially after his performance at Nationals, but not the misinformation about Nathan's real opportunities (it sounded like an obvious gold) or the way they absolutely ignored the rest of the medals´ contenders.
As a figure skating fan, I was offended by those pieces and I really felt sorry for Nathan. When I saw his SP at the team event and yesterday, I wasn't surprised at all.

Poor guy the pressure was unbearable for him. I hope he goes to brian after the olys. He sure knows how to calm his skaters and gets them to perform their best. n

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Its not the problem in NBC hyped Nathan in a sense that they wanted public to watch them (obviously) cause i think its good for the promotion of FS generally. The problem was in narative (story behind it) - it was not right to saying he is an olympic gold favourite, when favorites are Yuzu in first place and Javi in second. And i would put Shoma after them from the rest of the pack including Nathan, Boyang and maybe Mikhail and Patrick... They just should marketing him more reasonable, as a medal contender and next big star (which i believe is true), not as a 2018 Oly winner...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evan in torino really wasn't the favoriate - johnny was in second going into the free and was the main us star then. so he did not get the same pressure as nathan

nbc is paying no attention to bradie. It's all nathan, adam, mirai and the shibs. that may be to her benefit.

I was thinking about this earlier. Of course she's not going to get the marks from the judges anyway because she is unknown to them. But our other ice dance teams may benefit.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So NBC put their hype and attention on Adam their next victim now? For Adam to pull a Mirai miracle, he has to do a 4A or all other quads, something few or no Men can do.

I think Adam can handle it. Maybe not in the past but he seems to be ok with it now, hope it continues.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I only tuned in for the last group but Tara, Johnny and Terry did a great job woth what I heard of balancing the talking and allowing the performance to take center stage. So many people complain about them I just wanted to give them a little shout out. The found them fun and insightful and I enjoyed listening to them when they did talk.

I DVRed it and it didn't catch the whole last group. ugh.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Incidenatally did people read the article this week in NYT about Adam and his body image issues? Rafael actually had a quote in the article about "well I have to figure out how to get an elephant to jump." He admitted he realized his comments about weight were not good for the skaters and seems to have reformed. But I could not believe the quote about the elephants. And yet for it to be printed in the NYT - not even say it in private or think it but to say that out loud to a journalist.

Yes. And I was disgusted and wonder how any elite athlete could possibly perform on 3 slices of bread. My 73 year old mother eats more than that and she's 104 lbs.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
AAAAAAnnnnnndddddd........NBC rabbit ears threw Patrick Chan under the bus, along with lots of scores.....
This is the worst covered Olys for poor people in many years.....
"We at NBC feel that you poor folks out there have no right to see the figure skating events......not even the top 12...and not even on late night, cause you have no bucks to spend on our advertisers so who cares about you anyway? Now go out there and earn more bucks to get high speed internet and and spend 600 bucks a year on Dish network.....slackers....."

You can get a VPN for maybe $11 for a month and watch the BBC or CBC coverage.

readernick

Medalist
Just got the news on the Aliev interview thread that Aliev will maintain his FS layout with two 4T and no 4Lz as the Europeans. With a program that has only two quads, it will be slimmer chance to be on the podium.

Honestly, the chances were already slim so it is wise for him to aim for a clean program. Honestly, until Russian nationals, it had not been a good year for him. But, I do enjoy his long program more than his short. I hope he skates it beautifully!