2018 Worlds Short Dance | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Short Dance

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That was an all-around awesome event and I'm very glad I stayed up till 1:30am to watch it all. So many SB performances, and so few errors, and everyone looked like they were having fun. Can't wait for the FD!

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Reading H/D comments they don't sound as bad. Zach basically said he gave Shibs his medal because he messed up and don't want that to happen again. I don't see any kind of hate towards the Shibs.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Congratulations to P/C, H/D and W/P on their small medals!

Since V/M aren't here lets keep the who is better stuff to a minimum please? Let's talk about the terrific skating we saw this morning (here, in my time zone)

I want a badge that says "I survived the Rumba SD season"

Kinga

Medalist
From Maia and Alex's fan fest:
“I wish the Shibutanis were [in Milan] because last year I gave them my medal,” Donohue said, “and I don’t plan on doing that this year.”

This could be totally taken out of the context. He was probably joking. And he did indeed give them the medal :biggrin:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
They are objectively better short dance skaters even if I never was a particular V/M fan. More polished, more precise movement, greater presence, better musicality on the quicker rhythms.

I didn't say V/M had the best short dance ever. I think they had better ones. Just I think they were better than P/C.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
And yes, I'm and V/M uber, and sometimes I overdo it, I know. Doesn't change the fact I objectively think they are better.

The same way P/C's fans think P/C are objectively better :laugh: (no need to start a fight because I love both teams).
Take the scores with a grain of salt, the judging was very lenient here. It was obvious from the beginning, level 4 on steps for lower teams, crazy GOE's etc. If H/D broke 80, they had to throw everything at a clean P/C.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
When I watch P/C do their FDs I understand there is indeed something special about them but when they perform this SD, it is so average, rushed and aimless that I don't know why they get such scores.

As someone who adores P/C, it's the awful choice in music that bothered me for this dance. I can still appreciate their skating and partnership but lord the half-done attempt at "latin" music and weird cuts are just... not suited for them. It's very milquetoast. They should have gone all out.

SpiffySpiders

On the Ice
they are retiring?

I'm not sure, I don't follow much in the way of skating announcements and rumors, but I sense it's coming sooner rather than later. They have post-skating plans, have been world champions and now have thus far skated well at a home worlds.

Pleased for P/C that they can now put the Olympic performance of that dance to bed forever. I expected them to lead, I supposed everyone did, and so there's little drama to it but any skate by them is worth watching.

As for the SD competition in total, the earlier Despacitos fest was nearly the death of me but I'm glad I watched it all. The Ice dance subtle intricacies remain a bit of a mystery to me but the overall standings make sense, which is a pleasant change of pace.

MIM

Medalist
Congratulations to P/C, H/D and W/P on their small medals!

Since V/M aren't here lets keep the who is better stuff to a minimum please? Let's talk about the terrific skating we saw this morning (here, in my time zone)

I want a badge that says "I survived the Rumba SD season"

:agree:
Do we know what is the next season SD pattern?

Alchamei

Record Breaker
The same way P/C's fans think P/C are objectively better :laugh: (no need to start a fight because I love both teams).
Take the scores with a grain of salt, the judging was very lenient here. It was obvious from the beginning, level 4 on steps for lower teams, crazy GOE's etc. If H/D broke 80, they had to throw everything at a clean P/C.

I know, tell that to an invested fan. Whatever, I'll take the lost WR for the Olympic Gold, thanks.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
And P/C missed a level in the rhumba :laugh: They probably revised it later because I remember it was a level 4 on the small screen.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think you might want to get the exact quote. It was more along the lines of he gave away a medal because of his fall.

Context is everything. We can't cherry-pick bits of quotes.

I agree with you. Zach was being self-critical in that last year they blew a fantastic opportunity, and he doesn't intend to let it happen again.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I know, tell that to an invested fan. Whatever, I'll take the lost WR for the Olympic Gold, thanks.

WRs mean nothing these days. It speaks volumes that the current records are from this year / last year only (with a very few exception). In 4 years there will be new ones across the board in all disciplines. Just IMO