2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Pairs Short Program | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Pairs Short Program

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I can't believe the Georgians are below the Canadians. The Canadians were just rubbish.

And I will also come out and say it, the Italians were crap. They've been crap all season, but at least make an effort it's

I can't believe the Georgians are below the Canadians. The Canadians were just rubbish.

And I will also come out and say it, the Italians were crap. They've been crap all season, but at least make an effort it's THE OLYMPICS.

There is no reason for hate to Italy and Canada. You are embarrassing yourself.
Italians did well on every element other than jumps. Jumps are hard and sometimes skaters make mistakes. Other than that they are beautiful and connect very well with the music. Their SS was very lovely, so was the spin and lift. They are not in form but what other team does Italy have? They are a small country. You probably think no small country should be doing the TE.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Nope, this is factually incorrect.

As long as USA places 3rd in Women (and assuming the placements repeat in the LP), they win the event.

Are S/H doing the free? If Peng/Jin do it, the US pairs could finish even higher than they did here.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
We are here to share opinions. My opinion on the matter has been echoed by other experts and most other observers as well. So, it's not me who needs to change anything with regards to this. What actually needs to change is the scores, those PCS are not accurate for the differential in skating skills and artistry between these two teams.
That´s actually a great score for M/G, considering the SP is their weakness. They are usually much better in the FS. At last worlds they were only 3rd in the SP and now they are only 0.20 behind S/H. That´s an amazing improvent from them.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sui/Han won this short program with just that glare at the beginning. I liked their program more. But, I love the Russians too. The Russians haven’t made a mistake all season long and skated really well here too. They were basically tied. I wish the Quads were rewarded more in pairs so I can differentiate more between the top teams. These two top teams admit they would go for quads if there was a reward for doing so. Quads are here to stay with the Men’s event and the Women’s event. I need quads or 3A in the Pairs event so I know exactly who the most talented team is.

RUS will win gold due to their Ladies. But, wow, it is a battle. JPN is one point behind China, but, should separate with 9 points in the Ladies event to solidify their bronze medal.

China is 4th and will most likely finish in 4th place as they are too ahead.

The battle for the fifth spot is between Italy (the Pairs team should have finished lower as they were a disaster), Canada and Georgia. I’m not sure who is even skating for Italy. But, those 2 points don’t seem to be enough as ITA can place behind GER, UKR and CHN. It looks like it will be a battle royale between Madeline and Anastasia Gubanova for the fifth spot and I’m here for it.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Cute, and naively optimistic for not even going past the top 5 (and they are reigning Olympic champions in the team event, how pathetic).
the commentator is a former Olympic medalist in... diving ... so give her a break :) her job is to cover all Olympic sports for the common once every 4 year fans.... Yes, cute, naive and optimistic... fair enough... But there is no point comparing the 2018 team with this edition.... that's naive too... Canadian figure skating fans, including myself, are very aware that winning a medal in 2022 in any discipline, including the team event was a stretch to start with. It doesn't remove the disappointment though when the athletes underperform. You can look my posts and that of the other GS fans in the Canadian team cheering thread and you will see... there is nothing naive about how our team is perceived. At the same time, there is no need to use the word pathetic either.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That´s actually a great score for M/G, considering the SP is their weakness. They are usually much better in the FS. At last worlds they were only 3rd in the SP and now they are only 0.20 behind S/H. That´s an amazing improvent from them.

Well yes ofc it's a great score...but that "improvement" of score they've seen is not based on skating ability.

I counted 4 instances of her blade being shaky on a step or turn in that performance. And the program is not nearly as sophisticated as what Sui/Han are doing. So, there should be a significant gap. But it's not reflected in the marks.

Dogo

On the Ice
As a massive M/G fan, they looked great on their technical abilities but being stacked after S/H did them no favors. It is as if M/G performance is almost a bit too "childish" compared to the more mature, sophisticated, and powerful (and artful) program delivery of S/H. I mean they literally reminded me of a painting on ice.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Lol 3rd is a BIG ask from 2 girls who can't rotate and have not really had triple triples this season.

I also don't think the US holding up in pairs FS is a lock by any means.
Truly, I have been proclaiming for the last year that women was by far the USA's weakest discipline. US pairs have made huge improvements over the last few years and that showed here...but I wouldn't bet on any of the US ladies rotating their jumps. Russia will very likely lead going into the freeskate.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Lol 3rd is a BIG ask from 2 girls who can't rotate and have not really had triple triples this season.

I also don't think the US holding up in pairs FS is a lock by any means.

3rd is not a big ask in that Women's field from any of the 3 US ladies
And I'm not sure why some posters here keep saying that,

All of them have the capacity to score around the 70 mark, And apart from JPN and ROC
the other ladies in the event are not famously quite there...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh please, as if any other country does?

I don't remember the US athletes lining up to condemn Justin Gatlin and his not one, but TWO drug violations. And guess what he still got to compete!

I certainly don't remember any huge apology from US cycling for Lance Armstrong (perhaps the worst cheater in history).

Or China with their swimmers.

The Russians have been stripped of their flag, anthem and any place on the medal tally, which I think is fair.

What ISN'T fair is insisting Russian skaters go above and beyond that, and publicly whip themselves in contrition because of what athletes from unrelated sports eight years ago did.
The US government wasn’t in charge of or complicit in those doping cases. Lance Armstrong is persona non grata in the US. I don’t blame the Russian athletes and I want them to be scored fairly. But it was appropriate to impose a (fairly mild) punishment on Russia for state-approved cheating.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
3rd is not a big ask in that Women's field from any of the 3 US ladies
And I'm not sure why some posters here keep saying that,

All of them have the capacity to score around the 70 mark, And apart from JPN and ROC
the other ladies in the event are not famously quite there...
I am not saying it is impossible, but history is against them and neither is even close to their top form from prior years.

Yes they COULD sneak in for a 3rd, but 7th or 8th is just as possible. Getting 3rd in both would be a major feat.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I am not saying it is impossible, but history is against them and neither is even close to their top form from prior years.

Yes they COULD sneak in for a 3rd, but 7th or 8th is just as possible. Getting 3rd in both would be a major feat.

I disagree 🤷‍♂️

All the US ladies have recently shown SPs that could score around 70

I don't think even with a fall they'll be down at 7-8

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Well yes ofc it's a great score...but that "improvement" of score they've seen is not based on skating ability.

I counted 4 instances of her blade being shaky on a step or turn in that performance. And the program is not nearly as sophisticated as what Sui/Han are doing. So, there should be a significant gap. But it's not reflected in the marks.
It really is a travesty. Sui/Han were perfection and M/G shaky at best, and yet the scores are that close... Shenanigans are going to go down in the individual event.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

At Worlds, Karen was only beat by the 3 Russians. Even if she were to be beat by the Japanese entry as well, the other women she's competing against aren't exactly at the tier of the Russian and Japanese women. It's not a done deal but it's also not like it's a Herculean/incredibly wishful thinking effort to finish 3rd.