2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Pairs Short Program | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Pairs Short Program

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've just watched the Pairs SP in the Team event, and here's my review (like with the RD, just skip it if you don't agree).

Sofia and Artem are added to the TE despite not making it for the individual event, and considering that, they didn't do badly at all. Sure, they were last but I don't think they were deeply below.

Jelizaveta and Martin can do better, but they still did well this event. Nerves may have played a part, but it's not as if they performed worse than in other competitions. They are still a young pair. I'm expectant for the future.

Monica and Matteo must be really unhappy. I don't know what's happening but they really are getting worse each time I see them. Not to say I don't like watching them, but it's just so horrible to see a pair so in decline. I felt so sorry for them.

Karina and Luka did it again! They've been on the rise since Nebelhorn, and I'm really looking forward to their trajectory the next few years. Hurrah for them.

Kirsten and Michael did not have their worst skate ever, but I still was a tad disappointed. I had hoped for more, they really can. Not that I disliked their programme or anything, it's just that I think they are better than this.

Riku and Ryuichi showed us all once again why Japan is on the rise in Pair Skating. I so enjoyed their programme, and being 4th out of 9 is not a bad score at all.

Alexa and Brendan were great. I've never seen them skate so well, and I've seen them often (since they started, which is not that long). Kudos to them! And am SB into the bargain. Rightly so.

Anastasia and Alexandr were top notch (as always), but somehow they couldn't inspire me this time. Am I getting fed up with this programme? THat must be it, because my lack of interest certainly had nothing to do with their elements. They were fine.

Sui and Han were perfect. I love it that this relatively small Chinese guy can really perform an flamenco feeling, that this young woman can express a Spanish Dance in a Pair Programme. Good for these two! It might not technically be as good as the Russian pair (but there were no mistakes or mishaps regardless) but they are so inspiring. Happy for them to be able to prove they really are such a classy pair.

readernick

Medalist
I agree. I think the US ladies have a good chance to be third. With luck, second is not out of reach in at least one segment. I remember in 2018, Mirai came in second in the Team Event, beating Kaori Sakamoto and Carolina Kostner. She had the 3A of course, but she didn't score through the roof (137 as I reacall). Who else is going to seriously challenge them besides the Japanese?
Gubanova and Madeline could definitely beat Karen/Mariah. The US just has to hope that the technical callers aren't strict and the women's skater (probably Karen) actually manages to do a close to clean 3-3. I've never seen Karen actually rotate a clean 3-3 in competition (she does in practice sometimes) but at times she gets to around a Q. So, best case scenario she almost rotates her 3-3, and the technical caller isn't strict. Worst case she seriously URs and falls or there is accurate technical calling.( I'm not in support of inaccurate calling, I'm just stating what's best for the US's chances) That being said, I think Wakaba may be doing the SP in the TE and Wakaba isn't the most reliable skater either (even though she is my favorite women's skater here) so there is a chance the US could get 2nd place in the SP (although it isn't likely)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
USA really rode the wave Great skating from the top 4 teams. I would have Japan over USA. I prefer the music and style of Sui and Han and you can tell if the Chinese skate clean they will win individual gold. Still the Russians were good.On a side note I find Sui's hair annoying those loose strands almost worth a deduction lol. But I give them full credit they got those individual jumps done. The Japanese team have such lovely details and are the most improved.

Poor Italy I expected more from them. And while even with a clean skate Canada would probably not move up but i feel the Canadian team in each event just seem it is not their year. i want and still hope MTM can end on a high note. But it is hard as there are so many great teams 2 Chinese, 3 Russians, 2 Americans and the Japanese teams Canada will struggle to be in the bottom of the top ten. while the Americans skated with poise and confidence the Canadians had to save landings.
Gubanova and Madeline could definitely beat Karen/Mariah. The US just has to hope that the technical callers aren't strict and the women's skater (probably Karen) actually manages to do a close to clean 3-3. I've never seen Karen actually rotate a clean 3-3 in competition (she does in practice sometimes) but at times she gets to around a Q. So, best case scenario she almost rotates her 3-3, and the technical caller isn't strict. Worst case she seriously URs and falls or there is accurate technical calling.( I'm not in support of this type of calling, I'm just stating what's best for the US's chances) That being said, I think Wakaba may be doing the SP in the TE and Wakaba isn't the most reliable skater either (even though she is my favorite women's skater here) so there is a chance the US could get 2nd place in the SP (although it isn't likely)
The US is on a roll in the team eevent. They are maximizing their points whereas Canada is underperforming though that might have a lot to do with no Keegan. Even with a fall Keegan would be several spots up. Russia struggled a bit in dance and they ended up on the short end of the stick in pairs where it is so s. The americans just look so confident and ready. Alexa and Brandon were on. HD beat the Russians who honestly we all worry about his twizzles and back This competition has been really good for the US - they have established themselves with Nathan as the fave in men' and in dance they appear to have silver and with GP falling behind the Italians well the battle for ice dance medals is between 2 Americans, SK and the French who would have to fall twice. The shocker is Canada not qualifying for the finals. Forget Roman but GP were down up to two spots and MTM needed to be 3rd or at least 4th. It is asking Madi too much to be say 3rd or 4th and hope others place far enough behind (China, Italy. Looks like USA and Russia for gold then Japan bronze.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gubanova and Madeline could definitely beat Karen/Mariah. The US just has to hope that the technical callers aren't strict and the women's skater (probably Karen) actually manages to do a close to clean 3-3. I've never seen Karen actually rotate a clean 3-3 in competition (she does in practice sometimes) but at times she gets to around a Q. So, best case scenario she almost rotates her 3-3, and the technical caller isn't strict. Worst case she seriously URs and falls or there is accurate technical calling.( I'm not in support of this type of calling, I'm just stating what's best for the US's chances) That being said, I think Wakaba may be doing the SP in the TE and Wakaba isn't the most reliable skater either (even though she is my favorite women's skater here) so there is a chance the US could get 2nd place in the SP (although it isn't likely)

3/3s aren't the only element in a program, and the technical score isn't the only determinant of placement. Fact is, both Karen and Mariah get much higher PCS scores than Madeline. At Rostelecom, Mariah beat Madeline in the SP 69.37 to 67.49 even though Mariah didn't have a 3/3 and Madeline did. Madeline's 1.06 TES advantage was wiped out by Mariah's 2.94 PCS edge.

Gubanova hasn't seen much in the way of competition in the past few years---that plus the crud has made her a virtual newbie in the eyes of judges---her PCS scores at Euros were pretty much on the same level as Madeline's.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
MG's pcs score is atrocious. It's always Russian skaters that could come out with strong technical elements and some kind of consistency and the judges will just go with them on their pcs scores regardless of their actual skating skills and performance quality. I won't be surprised if Boikova and Kozlovski would also be getting SH's pcs scores if they remained somewhat consistent throughout this cycle. Skates from other countries always need to wait until they become somewhat a 'veteran' to get similar pcs.
M/G have improved in delivery, consistency and confidence under Moskvina's guidance, but their PCS is way overdone. And you're right that, as we all know, PCS scores go up when you skate clean with technical competence. PCS are just problematic, and are used basically to manipulate placements. And placements are based on rep and politics, just as much as or more-so than on how skaters actually perform on the ice

While I respect the talents of both M/G and S/H, for me S/H are clearly more brilliant aesthetically. There's no comparison with these young, newbie Russian teams in that regard. Even, the technically out-of-this-world beauty and excellence of T/M (marred by their sad performance inconsistencies), does not make T/M great in every PCS category. But you would never know that looking at the judges' PCS scores for T/M, which are always 9s or 9.50s or 9.75s. It's laughable. T/M do not connect or emote with each other. It's not that they can't. It's just that they never had to try to work harder on improving that part of their skating because the judges have consistently rewarded them, even when they didn't deserve to be rewarded with a win. (Most notoriously at 2017 IDF, which will remain in my memory forever. It was so blatant, and unfortunate).

That IDF result is where I think T/M's confidence problems began. T/M knew they did not deserve to win that competition. It kind of got into their heads, and it only worsened their ability to improve. Still, even lacking in top-notch connection and projection to the audience, T/M are more deserving as polished, veteran technicians, IMO, than M/G or B/K. I wouldn't say that if M/G and B/K were actually spectacular on all cylinders. They are not. B/K especially are not -- they are over-scored. M/G could be spectacular, with a lot more seasoning, experience and stretching themselves, rather than being fawned over to the point where they begin to think they should always be on top. Mishina was looking around (I suppose at her coach or some other fed official) after they got their sp score in the team event. It was as if she was confused why they weren't in first over S/H. Seriously, M/G need to realize they aren't gonna beat S/H just like that, as if it's already a done deal. At this point, I want S/H to win and to win big.

S/H have put in their dues. I haven't always been a huge fan of their skating. But they grew aesthetically, and they were always superb technically. With their injuries, they've experienced a lot of problems hanging in there over the past four years, but hopefully their desire, will, and talent will see them through. And I hope they skate great in the singles event because I want to see the kind of glory for them that happened for Savchenko (with Massot) in 2018.

M/G need to chill. They are gonna be on the podium. They do not need to win gold. They need to remain hungry and to work hard, and to avoid feeling entitled to be on top all the time.

Sloopy

On the Ice
Honestly the idea that K/F should have been lower in this competition is pretty laughable. Maybe the edge could have gone to the Japanese team. It’s one of these “it could have gone either way” things IMO. But that’s just one placement.

But like the idea that we need to “hook or crook” so we can beat Canada Japan and Italy and still lose to China and Russia in pairs is silly.
I agree with your statement. And let me say this, after Sochi, "by hook or by crook" shouldn't be leveled at any team or federation as that Olympics was the perfect example of it. And its so funny that it was directed at the American team, in China no less, when everyone with eyes saw how they've performed so far. You can have your favorite, but lets not go overboard in slandering teams because you're upset over your team's "current" placement. There are five more opportunities to score. Sheesh! The Olympics brings out the worst in people.

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think people are reading too much into the reaction to M/G’s score. I don’t think for a moment the problem was the standings of the pair competition or their score, but the standings of the TE. They knew they had to come in first to get as close as possible to the US after what happened in the Men’s and Dance, and they didn’t, so of course they were disappointed. At no point in their careers they have said they were better than anyone, or that they were expecting anything from the judges. I’m not sure why people are reading so much into this, to the point of being annoying already.

Also, I don’t wish them to make any mistake in the competition, but surely a silver medal would be better than the kind of unfair scrutiny they’ve been getting from pretty much everyone besides their fans. We all know S/H are great, and they’ve had an amazing career up to now, that would be perfectly capped with a gold here, but to go after each and every thing that M/G does on the ice to the point of ignorance is not the answer. It would be better if everybody cheered for their favorites and enjoyed the competition.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
guys why isnt it any videos out on youtube or anywhere?? i cant even see Sui & Han! and what happened to the video threat this forum used to have for all major compt?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think people are reading too much into the reaction to M/G’s score.

I agree. Some(one?) thinks they can read Nastia and Sasha's minds. And then they state their opinion as if it were fact! What arrogance, and how ridiculous.

I don’t think for a moment the problem was the standings of the pair competition or their score, but the standings of the TE. They knew they had to come in first to get as close as possible to the US after what happened in the Men’s and Dance, and they didn’t, so of course they were disappointed.

Exactly.

At no point in their careers they have said they were better than anyone, or that they were expecting anything from the judges. I’m not sure why people are reading so much into this, to the point of being annoying already.

They certainly haven't. And to accuse them of feeling "entitled"? Those are the words of someone who isn't paying attention.

Also, I don’t wish them to make any mistake in the competition, but surely a silver medal would be better than the kind of unfair scrutiny they’ve been getting from pretty much everyone besides their fans. We all know S/H are great, and they’ve had an amazing career up to now, that would be perfectly capped with a gold here, but to go after each and every thing that M/G does on the ice to the point of ignorance is not the answer. It would be better if everybody cheered for their favorites and enjoyed the competition

.:love2::love2::love2::hap10::points:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
guys why isnt it any videos out on youtube or anywhere?? i cant even see Sui & Han! and what happened to the video threat this forum used to have for all major compt?

Here you go ... thanks very much to @labgoat ❤️❤️❤️:thank:

This Olympic table with links, is on p. 6 of the thread, post #102.

p.s. the video threads are almost impossible to maintain now, because most of the youtube videos are taken down very soon.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
most videos are geoblocked and so many missing! my god what is happening figure skating is becoming impossible to watch

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here you go ... thanks very much to @labgoat ❤️❤️❤️:thank:

This Olympic table with links, is on p. 6 of the thread, post #102.

p.s. the video threads are almost impossible to maintain now, because most of the youtube videos are taken down very soon.
Just popping in on break at the hospital. I do what I can to post what is available with no idea when things will get taken down. I don't like it either, but I do try to give us a chance to see things at least once. After Olympics are over I'll ask if the posts are still relevant. If not, I will no longer take up space posting them and frustrating others. I hate that the ISU takes down their own videos before a quadrennial is done leaving us with no alternatives left standing. Well my break is done, back to work. Skating is my main refuge from covid, now I am getting frustrated here too.

Last edited:

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
All posts regarding the current investigation into an ROC athlete's drug test should be made here:

When posting in that thread, please abide by the guidelines governing those posts.

Any posts not in compliance with guidelines may be deleted.