Japan Open | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japan Open

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone please post Todd & Sarah Meier's performances on youtube? :bow: ;) Thanks!

lmarie086

Medalist
Aww, Kimmie looked so happy to be on the ice! I loved that; that was probably the best she's done all season. No falls, more graceful and I really felt as though she was interpreting the music more and it had a joyous, triumphant feeling I don't normally associate with it . I almost want her to keep the LP another season; see what she can do with it. But more than that, I want to see a confident Kimmie in the return.

I wonder how Schultheiss, out of all the male skaters in Europe, got the opportunity to participate. Someone posted a picture from Worlds showing Adrian and the Japanese team clowning around together. Maybe Adrian made some friends in Japan which paid off in an invitation.
Check out results in Euros. He's on my list as a promising Senior Skater from what I saw in Gotenborg.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
who else loved what Evan has done with the Tosca program? I assume he is keeping it for next season, considering he has almost the whole thing diffrent. the new cuts of music and the chreography are worlds better than before, I felt like it really fit and told the story of tosca more than before. No quad attempt, but I trully enjoyed this.

I watched these. just opinions of mine:

Kimmie skated with much elan which I haven't seen since Calgary. It must be Callaghan. So much speed and FLOW.

Yukari - Excellent but not my cup of tea. While there is good speed, I do not see the flow, and those wrap around jumps are not for me. But she is a good competitor because the faults I see are not judged badly.

Mirai - She's a dynamo who needs work on making those jumps clean. I hate the ballet Coppelia and it's music, however she did some nice footwork to the Mazurka. The doll sequence should go.

Shizuka - So Kwan Like. Just beautiful. Did you notice the spiral with the knee and the toe turned out? That is ballet like. She has topped her Olys as far as I am concerned.

Stephane - The interpretation of the music is second to none, but in a competition the jumps count. Clean them up. It's not just the 3A.

Adrien - This kid is cool!! Did you notice the pause in the air before he began his 2A. Increible! Watch out Brian, Stephane, and Thomas.

Joe

Bennett

Record Breaker
Were Yukari's 3A and the 3F combo downgraded? Her 3A seemed to have pre-rotation and some cheating on landing. Her 3F combo somehow looked to me as if it were double. I couldn't review the protocol because of the lack of language support on my computer. I would appreciate it if someone could kindly let me know.

Nonetheless wonderful performance from Yukari:clap:

Fantastic 3A from Mao.:clap: She looked very calm going into that.

Lovely performance from Mirai:clap: Her program may be choreographically richest.

Last edited:
who else loved what Evan has done with the Tosca program? I assume he is keeping it for next season, considering he has almost the whole thing diffrent. the new cuts of music and the chreography are worlds better than before, I felt like it really fit and told the story of tosca more than before. No quad attempt, but I trully enjoyed this.
Evan skated the best all season here, and if he had done this in Gotenberg, the results would have been different, but that is an if....

He did not follow the story line, at least I know Tosca all too well, and he spends most of his time captured by the Roman soldiers. The music was his and his best aria is sung to it. At the end, he is shot by a firing squad and not telling the audience how good he was,

Anyway, he looked great and nice to see him back on track.

Joe

champs

Final Flight
I wonder how Schultheiss, out of all the male skaters in Europe, got the opportunity to participate. Someone posted a picture from Worlds showing Adrian and the Japanese team clowning around together. Maybe Adrian made some friends in Japan which paid off in an invitation.

It was me who posted the link to the pic you mentioned, but it was Berntsson, not Schutheiss, who was in that photo. If I remember the article correctly, Yukari and the three japanese male skaters were asked to pose for the camera the way Berntsson sticks his index finger up in the air in his Saturday Night Fever program (because, I think, there was a flyer or some kind of Goteborg Worlds promotion ad with a photo of him doing that), and Berntsson just passed by the session by accident so he was invited to join in that photo session, something like that.

Edited to add: I found more (and better) photos of this at figureskating online:
http://www.figureskating-online.com/pageID_5810493.html
Go down to the 5th and the 6th rows!

As for Schutheiss being called in to substitute Plushenko, probably they just looked at the list of European skaters in the men's final standing at Worlds:

2 Brian JOUBERT
5 Stephane LAMBIEL
6 Kevin VAN DER PERREN
7 Sergei VORONOV
12 Sergei DAVYDOV
13 Adrian SCHULTHEISS
14 Kristoffer BERNTSSON
15 Tomas VERNER
...(the rest omitted)

and considering some have injury problems (Voronov for his feet, Preaubert for his back, and I heard van der Perren having surgery) while others (Joubert, Verner) had already been booked for other ice shows, they might have thought Davydov, Schulthess, or Berntsson were possble reasonable picks. In that sense the choice is not surprising at all.

Or they could have tried pro skaters like Kulik or Abt, but it was probably risky to ask those w/o a CoP program prepared at the last minute (not like Eldredge, Honda, and Yagudin who were asked long before).

Last edited:

champs

Final Flight
I couldn't review the protocol because of the lack of language support on my computer. I would appreciate it if someone could kindly let me know.

I guess the best solution would be for you to install the appropriate language pack from Adobe but anyway check your PM Inbox, I have sent you the screenshots of each page of the protocol so that you can view it with the Windows' default image viewer. I don't know if it's legally alright to post it publicly so I won't link them here.

Last edited:

nippponophile

Rinkside
Japanese ladies really came through to secure the win for Team Japan. Yukari and Mao were just fabulous.

Daisuke looked so down at the end of his program, and seemed to be deep in thought/reflection during the rest of the competition - I think he must have felt he'd let himself, his team and the fans down. Maybe he's not over the disappointment of World's yet, because the usual Dai-chan passion and fighting spirit seemed to be missing.

I hope the off-season will be a time where Daisuke can have a really good rest and work some more on techniques to get over competition nerves and bounce back more quickly mentally. Do that, and there'll be no stopping him!

Bennett

Record Breaker
I guess the best solution would be for you to install the appropriate language pack from Adobe but anyway check your PM Inbox, I have sent you the screenshots of each page of the protocol so that you can view it with the Windows' default image viewer. I don't know if it's leally alright to post it publicly so I won't link them here.

champs. I got your message. It is extremely kind of you. I am truly grateful for your doing this for me out of your busy schedule. I also appreciate your advice about the Adobe, too!

Good to know that her 3F-2T was not downgraded although her 3A was. This seems to be an even better performance than the Worlds. Good for her.

merrybari

Final Flight

It was love at first sight for me with Evan's Tosca at Skate America. I also was captivated by the EX version at Cup of China. To me, this latest incarnation is the best of both wrapped up in one! Showcases his skill as an athlete/artist, fierce competitor and entertainer all rolled into one.

That said, as much as I love this program in all it's forms and wouldn't mind at all if he was to keep it I don't believe he will. I think it, and Zorro, have been great programs for use in successfully raising the bar he has set for himself in this self-designed and imposed building year. I think he will take what he's learned from them into whatever he chooses to use next year and continue to challenge himself to even greater levels.

Part of the long-term plan for success is two new programs every year on the road to Vancouver. I believe he will stick to that the same way he has stuck to the rest of the plan they have in place.

Bravo to Evan for a smashing finish to a turbulent season after the devastation of missing worlds. I think he's primed to really bring it on for 2008-09!

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
Mirai's jumps again were downgraded twice. It's going to cost her dearly next year.

Ouch!!! Edge calls and downgrades have affected everyone this year. Bet all skaters will be addressing this in the off season. Also ISU - who needs to address the issue of consistency in the calls in the first place all across the board.