Japan Open | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japan Open

Evan on the march. Go boy.

Lambiel and Daisuke still in slumps.

No surprise with Mao.

Sara Meier in second? and less than 5 points behind Mao.

Nakano coming on strong.

Early in season or is it Late in past season?

Joe

Brandi_DeLain

On the Ice
Good score for Evan. Especially considering he didn't go for a quad, his triple loop got called UR, and both of his flips were hit with a wrong edge deduction.

The Japanese ladies really came through, but poor Daisuke. I hope it's just a temporary slump that he's in.

Stephane wasn't perfect, but it was an improvement over Worlds. Maybe his new streamlined hair-do helped him out.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Johnny's kind of known for that, so it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy in a way. But Evan?

Brandi_DeLain

On the Ice
I didn't realize Johnny was known for lipping. Those two "e" calls at Worlds were the first he's ever received. I think some callers are getting a little overzealous.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
As for the technical controller at JO, the site says it's Mr.Alexander LAKERNIK.
We def need vids.

Great result for Sarah Meier! Maybe the scores were inflated a little, but she scored 10 points higher than her personal best.

Go Adrian Schultheiss! He topped his personal best, too. As a team event, the European men had an advantage because they had two active competitors, instead of one eligible and one pro trying to compete under CoP scoring. IIRC Yagudin was supposed to compete for Europe, but had to withdraw.

I wonder how Schultheiss, out of all the male skaters in Europe, got the opportunity to participate. Someone posted a picture from Worlds showing Adrian and the Japanese team clowning around together. Maybe Adrian made some friends in Japan which paid off in an invitation.

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
Go Adrian Schultheiss! He topped his personal best, too. As a team event, the European men had an advantage because they had two active competitors, instead of one eligible and one pro trying to compete under CoP scoring. IIRC Yagudin was supposed to compete for Europe, but had to withdraw.

I would like to see a cheesfest with pros competeting under COP just to see how 6.0 kind of skating would fare. Of course the PCs would have to be in the 9's and 10's or it wouldn't be a cheesfest.

inskate

On the Ice
That 3A was huuuge! :rock:

Apparently Mao landed clean 3S in the warmup. :thumbsup:

She looked a bit exhausted in the actual competition, but I enjoyed her program nonetheless. She's such a fighter - she was crowned World Champion barely a few weeks ago and she's working on improving her technique already!
Lovely spiral. I hate the new spiral requirements so much - I would love to see this pretty arabesque held longer, and with CoE. :rock:

I hope someone will upload the rest of the ladies'programs soon. :)

Medusa

Record Breaker
That 3A was huuuge! :rock:

Apparently Mao landed clean 3S in the warmup. :thumbsup:

She looked a bit exhausted in the actual competition, but I enjoyed her program nonetheless. She's such a fighter - she was crowned World Champion barely a few weeks ago and she's working on improving her technique already!

I wonder if she already started working on the Triple Lutz-take-off since she didn't include it in this program. Wouldn't it be great if she returned with a Triple Lutz, Triple Salchow and a more consistent Triple Toe next season?

kalle

On the Ice
So good to see Kimmie finishing the season on a good note, no falls is a great step up for her!Do you know if she's still working with Callaghan?
Mao is flowing over the ice but so does Shizuka and she is way over the others in terms of presentation, I got emotional for the first time this season and that with a gala program!I would love to see her competing again :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the video clips. Wow - Kimmie imo that was the best performance of her LP all season, she was really skating to the music and most importantly she landed all of her jumps. Good for her. She looked very happy with her performance. I do see improvement.

merrybari

Final Flight
Thanks for the links. Great performance from Kimmie - good to see her skating with joy and confidence again. Bodes well for next season. So happy for her.