Men's Free | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men's Free

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Does anyone know why Joubert has 2 2A passes in his free? Why dosn't he repeat a triple other than the axel? It seems like hes leaving quite a few points on the table.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Regardless, Brian has won 1st place overall. :)

ETA: And he has won by almost 8 points, and that is what counts now. They can work on the FS some more before the GPF. I am so happy for Brian!!!!

Last edited:

MissIzzy

Final Flight
does verner have a chance to qualify?

It all depends on how Johnny and Carriere do next week, assuming neither Ponsero nor Reynolds wins. Chan and Kozuka locked last week, and it has now become impossible to knock either Brian or Jeremy out of the top six. If Johnny and Carriere are the top two at NHK, they will take the last two spots. If Oda(or someone else) knocks either of them down to bronze it comes down to the score tiebreaker. If either finished off the podium Verner beats them.

Whomever did that choreography for Brian should be fired. It was crossovers, crossovers and more crossovers throughout except for the footwork sequences. It gave Brian ample time to do the jumps properly as he would have at practice. Absolutely no musicality whatsoever. All those sitspins were fine but nothing unusual. Just an ordinary senior debut routine. Compared to his SP, it was lucky he got what he got.

I generally liked all the boys who stood up. Voronov is overscored and v.d.Perren is underscored, but hey, that's Figure Skating.

Does Jeremy make the Finals?

rosee

On the Ice
Whomever did that choreography for Brian should be fired. It was crossovers, crossovers and more crossovers throughout except for the footwork sequences.

I agree. Platov did a really bad job IMO. There's simply no choreography...

ks777

Record Breaker
Whomever did that choreography for Brian should be fired. It was crossovers, crossovers and more crossovers throughout except for the footwork sequences. It gave Brian ample time to do the jumps properly as he would have at practice. Absolutely no musicality whatsoever. All those sitspins were fine but nothing unusual. Just an ordinary senior debut routine. Compared to his SP, it was lucky he got what he got.

I generally liked all the boys who stood up. Voronov is overscored and v.d.Perren is underscored, but hey, that's Figure Skating.

but Platov did a great job for his SP.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Almost certainly. The current standings have been posted on the ISU website. Joubert, Abbott, and Verner are all on 24 points and are ranked 3rd to 5th. The tiebreakers have them in the order I listed.

At most, three guys can make it out of NHK on 24 or higher: Carriere (13), Weir (13), Ponsero (9) and Reynolds (9). I find it unlikely that this will happen, so at the very least Abbott should make it - and possibly Tomas as well. I'm pretty sure Brian is in regardless of what happens at NHK. Is my math right?

MissIzzy

Final Flight
At most, three guys can make it out of NHK on 24 or higher: Carriere (13), Weir (13), Ponsero (9) and Reynolds (9). I find it unlikely that this will happen, so at the very least Abbott should make it - and possibly Tomas as well. I'm pretty sure Brian is in regardless of what happens at NHK. Is my math right?

Brian and Jeremy are both in. Jeremy would need three men to pass him to be knocked out, none of them can pass him without finishing within the top two, and only two guys can finish within the top two, so...and Brian would need all four, which is even more impossible.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Brian and Jeremy are both in. Jeremy would need three men to pass him to be knocked out, none of them can pass him without finishing within the top two, and only two guys can finish within the top two, so...and Brian would need all four, which is even more impossible.
I just thought that in the unlikely event that Ponsero or Reynolds wins, and Johnny and Stephen are 2-3, then we'd have one guy on 26 and two on 24 who might (it's a real stretch) pass Jeremy on the tiebreaker. But I'm guessing at least Ponsero would need to break all sorts of personal bests for that (not to mention Reynolds) so it's improbable. Also, Mr. Oda may have something to say about all that ;).

So, I guess: congrats, Brian and Jeremy! This goes to show that:
1. You can break through at the age of 23, and
2. One should never discount a top skater based on a single GP event.
Good luck to both at GPF, and I hope to see Johnny and Tomas join them in Korea!

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Tomas Verner is way overrated together with Carolina Kostner. Those crazy PCS.. His programs have very little transitions, choreography besides jumps.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Tomas Verner is way overrated together with Carolina Kostner. Those crazy PCS.. His programs have very little transitions, choreography besides jumps.

I have mixed feelings about Verner -- to me, he can be quite magical when he is on. And he also seems to be happy after he skates, even when he hasn't done well, as though he's just always glad to have a chance to be out there on the ice -- a quality I admire. But his programs can seem less complex than some of the other top men.