Cost, travel, time no object for one passionate skating fan | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cost, travel, time no object for one passionate skating fan

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Wow she is really passionate, here I am hoping that Skate Canada will come to me next year, last time it was near me was 2011 and I was busy studying and applying to universities, Worlds 2013 was near my university exam time so I couldn't make the trip either. Why must Canada be so big, living in a small country like Japan with major competitions must be a blessing, travel time and cost is much lower

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow she is really passionate, here I am hoping that Skate Canada will come to me next year, last time it was near me was 2011 and I was busy studying and applying to universities, Worlds 2013 was near my university exam time so I couldn't make the trip either. Why must Canada be so big, living in a small country like Japan with major competitions must be a blessing, travel time and cost is much lower

I feel your pain. I feel lucky I was able to take advantage of Skate America being so close to me! Boston was a definite splurge for me. (Also I had to endure the many "Why are you going to Boston in January?" questions).

Actually, aside from our first day there, the weather was actually not too bad in Bean-town. It was actually quite mild toward the later part of the week.

desertskates

Medalist
Mrs. P is right on the money (haha) about the price of domestic travel. I really wanted to do SA or SC this year, but with a new car needed and New Year trip with the husband coming up, it just wasn't in the budget. Bummer :/

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P is right on the money (haha) about the price of domestic travel. I really wanted to do SA or SC this year, but with a new car needed and New Year trip with the husband coming up, it just wasn't in the budget. Bummer :/

Skate Canada is pretty close to me -- about a 7-hour car ride -- but the lineup to Skate America looked slightly better and the flights weren't too bad ($500 or so or you could even get into the $450 range), so that's the one I was looking at.

But ultimately I had other people to see (i.e. MY PARENTS, LOL), so my husband and I will actually be traveling the weekend of Skate America, but we'll be in Atlanta, not Chicago.

And we just bought a new car too! That was not cheap. :laugh:

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
How hard can it be when you're still living with mummy and daddy who are paying all the bills?

If I still lived at home I could probably afford a lot of overseas trips too.

Excuse me but thats an extremely rude assumption to make. I live with my parents and pay all my bills and half the rent myself. As do a lot of my friends. Jus because you're living with your parents doesnt automatically mean your parents are supporting you financially. I do it because they need me to pay half of the rent in order to make their mortgage.

Meoima

Match Penalty
How hard can it be when you're still living with mummy and daddy who are paying all the bills?
It depends on her works and how she saves her money. Her parents might only have to pay the bills for themselves since their daughter is traveling that much. :p

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
It depends on her works and how she saves her money. Her parents might only have to pay the bills for themselves since their daughter is traveling that much. :p

Gonna have to agree with this one. We, overall, don't really know her circumstances. She seems like she works hard to get that money to go follow skaters around the world though.

Gee, I never thought someone would beat my brother when it comes to sarcasm...:laugh:

flutzy13

On the Ice
I'm planning to go to Worlds 2016 too. However, since I'm a full time college student, it's going to be really hard. Plus I'm a college cheerleader. And I still live at home. Plus I don't drive.

Luckily Boston is only an 1.5 hour plane ride from the nearest airport from me. But I won't find out what the 2016 spring semester classes will be like until October of 2015. And I don't know when the schedule will come out because the event I want to go and see the most is the mens events. Hopefully by then my parents will let me travel by myself. Because when Worlds 2016 will happen I will be less than 3 months away from my 21st birthday.

Kayak.com can have good deals.

Last I checked if you are over 18, you do not need your parents' permission to travel. If you want to go to Worlds when you are 20, you should do it provided you can pay regardless of your parents' opinions on whether you should travel by yourself. As soon as I was old enough to have a credit card and book my own hotel/plane, I was booking skating trips despite living home.

Interspectator

Record Breaker

Living with parents can include a many scenarios.
-parents could be paying the bills,
-bills could be split evenly,
-or this young woman could be paying the bills.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last I checked if you are over 18, you do not need your parents' permission to travel. If you want to go to Worlds when you are 20, you should do it provided you can pay regardless of your parents' opinions on whether you should travel by yourself. As soon as I was old enough to have a credit card and book my own hotel/plane, I was booking skating trips despite living home.

True. But the problem is that I'm not fully independent. And I'm not financially independent. Plus...okay I never revealed this to the GS forum till now, but I do have some challenges. I have a condition similar to autism so I act differently. And plus my social maturity is about 2-3 years behind. But it's gotten a lot better. But I'm not 100% fully capable of taking care of myself. But I'm willing to prove them wrong. That I can travel by myself domestically. I've been to airports enough to know the drill.

I don't have a credit card. But I'll want to get one soon.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
True. But the problem is that I'm not fully independent. And I'm not financially independent. Plus...okay I never revealed this to the GS forum till now, but I do have some challenges. I have a condition similar to autism so I act differently. And plus my social maturity is about 2-3 years behind. But it's gotten a lot better. But I'm not 100% fully capable of taking care of myself. But I'm willing to prove them wrong. That I can travel by myself domestically. I've been to airports enough to know the drill.

;)
Go at your own pace.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Sounds to me like you're already ahead of the game b/c you know how to be honest w/ yourself. :yay: IMO, that's more than half the battle, regardless of the issue. Don't be afraid to ask for help/advice from people you trust but be willing to trust your instincts, too. Good luck -- wishing you all the best!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

CKH, thx for sharing. Only you and your parents know what is in your best interest -- none of us here at GS should be trying to tell you what you should or should not be doing about travel or anything else.

Everyone has her/his own strengths. The fact that you are taking organic chem means that you are handling academic material that some would find very intimidating. :cool:

I join others in wishing you good luck. :)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sounds to me like you're already ahead of the game b/c you know how to be honest w/ yourself. :yay: IMO, that's more than half the battle, regardless of the issue. Don't be afraid to ask for help/advice from people you trust but be willing to trust your instincts, too. Good luck -- wishing you all the best!

Yeah sometimes I have a hard time sticking up for myself. And speaking up. But I'm trying to get better.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CKH, thx for sharing. Only you and your parents know what is in your best interest -- none of us here at GS should be trying to tell you what you should or should not be doing about travel or anything else.

Everyone has her/his own strengths. The fact that you are taking organic chem means that you are handling academic material that some would find very intimidating. :cool:

I join others in wishing you good luck. :)

Thank you so much! I know I prove people wrong with lots of stuff. True. Though I think I know what I want to do with some stuff.

I'm taking organic chemistry because I'm a biology major and I want to go to medical school.

I know TONS of people would be intimidated by it. But I decided on my major and I have to succeed in it.

I know it'll be nerve-wracking, but the main reason why I want to go on my own to travel is cause I don't want my parents to spend money for tickets for airplanes for 2 people and hotel reservations for 2. And of course event tickets for 2.

P.S.: I love it that you call me CKH. I like it! :)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Thank you so much! I know I prove people wrong with lots of stuff. True. Though I think I know what I want to do with some stuff.

I'm taking organic chemistry because I'm a biology major and I want to go to medical school.

I know TONS of people would be intimidated by it. But I decided on my major and I have to succeed in it.

I know it'll be nerve-wracking, but the main reason why I want to go on my own to travel is cause I don't want my parents to spend money for tickets for airplanes for 2 people and hotel reservations for 2. And of course event tickets for 2.

P.S.: I love it that you call me CKH. I like it! :)

Watch out! Organic chemistry will shatter a lot of hopes and dreams, I took it last year, by far the hardest thing I've studied so far, the lab I took was really fun though (except for the part where you have to write lab reports...). I do have friends in med school who did not do so well in organic chemistry though, their other marks were really high so they had a cushion for one or two not so good marks. Good luck!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm more of a English/humanities gal. :D So I admire CKH and others who take on such tough science classes. I managed to fulfill my science credits in college by taking a meteorology course and a course on North American geography.

I echo the others here that we all have different paths and roads in life and there's no one right way to do things.

As for the Mori and the living with the parents situation, I agree that even if she's getting free rent, she's likely holding her weight elsewhere.

Also, culturally (and Newbie and our other Japanese fans can confirm) I believe it is tradition to live with your parents and/or several generations of family until you get married. I think it's actually a necessity given the high real estate prices over there! If you watch Korean dramas, you see the same housing situation. In fact in some cases, even if the child gets married, the married couple may still live with the parents until they get enough money saved up to buy a place.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Also, culturally (and Newbie and our other Japanese fans can confirm) I believe it is tradition to live with your parents and/or several generations of family until you get married. I think it's actually a necessity given the high real estate prices over there! If you watch Korean dramas, you see the same housing situation. In fact in some cases, even if the child gets married, the married couple may still live with the parents until they get enough money saved up to buy a place.
Yes, in East Asia we are like that. Parents want their children to stay near as long as possible.

charmblade

Final Flight
Yay for another scientist! I have a degree in biology and minored in chemistry so I definitely took organic chem. It was hard but also interesting. And you can do so much with a science degree! I'm currently working at a science museum doing environmental education and invertebrate care (I work with bugs!) which is something that I had never considered in college but I love doing.

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
"Mori estimates that she spends about ¥1 million annually on her skating journeys. But taking a look at her itinerary from last season, one is inclined to think that number is likely conservative."

It is waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooo conservative. Sochi alone should cost at least 0.5M (if I remember it correctly, ticket per event cost 0.1-0.2M JPY), and the rest of 0.5M would not be enough to travel within Japan despite it is relatively a small country. Kudos to Ms. Mori for her passion and dedication! OMG just to think about the cost, time, energy and LUCK to get the tickets!!! I can't imagine what she has gone through to have completed the long list.

Japan is both the heaven and the hell for a FS fan.
It is the heaven because there are so many high level competitions every year, and various ice shows featuring not only Japanese skaters but also best of the best skaters in the world.
It is the hell because you end up spending a lot of time and cost and energy and luck following all these competitions and ice shows. It is the worst hell of all when you lack the luck to win the ticket lottery you want and you can't afford the auction price. I still remember how sad I was when I couldn't get the ticket for GPF'09 in Tokyo and I couldn't afford the auction since I was still a student at that time. I really wanted to watch Shen/Zhao compete since I knew it was the last chance I would have, but just couldn't make it:(

IMO a passionate FS fan, or a fan of any sport, really needs to sacrifice something else in order to follow it closely. Sometimes I have to say no to weekend invitations because of mid night competitions. Sometimes I have to say no to a pair of pretty new shoes in order to save up for a competition or ice show in another city/country. And I bet many fans in GS do the same!