Calgary to host 2006 World Championships | Golden Skate

Calgary to host 2006 World Championships

S

SkateFan4Life

Calgary to host 2006 World Championships

Calgary, Canada, has been selected as the host for the 2006 World Figure Skating Champioships. Here's a link to a USFSA
article:

www.usfsa.org/news/2002-0...siteid=983

Will we see the kind of thrilling skating that was displayed in Calgary during the 1988 Winter Olympics? Another "Battle of the NNNNNN?"

L

Ladskater

Re: Calgary to host 2006 World Championships

Hooray for Calgary!

Ladskater

S

SkateFan4Life

Three cheers for Calgary, indeed! The wonderful 1988 Olympic theme is running through my brain again.......

S

sk8tngcanuck

I am so darn excited!!!!!!! Calgary is only 2 hours away for me, and my daughter, at 10, will be the perfect age to attend and enjoy. Thanks for the news and for making my day!

Canuck

B

berthes ghost

Will it be in the former Oly skating hall?

E

Emerald2000

Oh that's awesome! I've heard it's really nice out there.

B

berthes ghost

Baanf is great. Calgary is OK.

S

SkateFan4Life

From what I've read, the main competitions will be held in the Saddledome -- the site of the 1988 Olympic figure skating competitions. The Stampede Corrall and another ice rink will be used for practices. The Stampede Corrall, incidentially, was the site of the 1972 World Championships, the last time they were held in Calgary. Should be a great competition!!!

I just hope that the quality of skating, right after the 2006 Olympics, isn't of the caliber of the 2002 Worlds. Remember the pairs event? It was really below par, by and large. :(
I also hope that the Olympic medalists won't skip the Worlds, as they have sometimes tended to do. Let's see them all compete at their best one more time!!! :D :D