2023 World Junior Pairs Free Skate | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2023 World Junior Pairs Free Skate

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I was happy to see him singing the words a bit, though. It always makes me happy when people on the podium sing along with their anthem.
You obviously havent heard me try and sing! I sound like a gut shot water buffalo... :rofl:
I think some National Anthems are easier to sing than others....
I just listened to the Japanese National Anthem on you tube and there were two translations that bore only a slight resemblence to each other.
The French one is easy...we sang that in French class........

midori green

On the Ice
You obviously havent heard me try and sing! I sound like a gut shot water buffalo... :rofl:
I think some National Anthems are easier to sing than others....
I just listened to the Japanese National Anthem on you tube and there were two translations that bore only a slight resemblence to each other.
The French one is easy...we sang that in French class........
I'm looking for at least slight lip movement to indicate words. No actual volume required.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
happy skaters!

giphy.gif
If Charlie White played pool...

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Who was the woman who sat with Sonia/Daniel in the kiss & cry? She has long, bright-red hair.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
We just caught up with the pairs program. Can’t be happier for Ukrainians, they are wonderful. Also, huge respect to the Australians for skating to the end despite the male partner’s very obvious injury. And, omg, Baram/Tioumentsev’s reactions were precious.

So many of these teams will have the age gap problem under the new rules though, losing a year or two of competition.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We just caught up with the pairs program. Can’t be happier for Ukrainians, they are wonderful. Also, huge respect to the Australians for skating to the end despite the male partner’s very obvious injury. And, omg, Baram/Tioumentsev’s reactions were precious.

So many of these teams will have the age gap problem under the new rules though, losing a year or two of competition.
For Sophia and Daniel, it’ll be 3 seasons. This is why even though I feel like they skate great together, it’s unfair they’re paired together because of the age gap and new rules.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm so thrilled to see Todd's Team Win. I hope he's feeling well enough to watch them from Hospital. It must be bitter sweet to be so excited about winning and worried about your coach, all at the same time. Congratulations to all the medalists.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was happy for Sophia and Daniel to win despite missing their coach. Wishing Todd a speedy recovery. It was a very happy podium. IN part because the Australians one of the favourites did so well considering his injury. I am not a huge fan of any junior team doing both junior worlds and senior but that's not up to me. IN this case I hope he takes time off to heal. He already competed and did so well here with an injury Maybe don't push your luck. The Urainians were so happy and I am happy for them. It was a happy podium. I don't see a G and G future team but very competent skating. I have to say I find the lifts a bit scarey sometimes. But as the skaters mature they will develop even stronger core mucles and upper body strength and better footwork.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
For Sophia and Daniel, it’ll be 3 seasons. This is why even though I feel like they skate great together, it’s unfair they’re paired together because of the age gap and new rules.
I hope they will let them to compete juniors till the woman partner matures for seniors. The other way around will give too much advantage, but given pairs with difference are from States and Japan, I can see them being granted a waiver to skate seniors.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope they will let them to compete juniors till the woman partner matures for seniors. The other way around will give too much advantage, but given pairs with difference are from States and Japan, I can see them being granted a waiver to skate seniors.
Daniel ages out. He’s turning 21 this year before the cutoff. That’s the problem.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was going to ask this very question. With him aging out of Juniors, can't she skate as a young senior? It's been so long but, didn't they used to do tests for Senior level events at a young age. Michelle Kwan placed 4th at 14 years of age in 1995

Ziotic

Medalist
Can someone tell me, cause I’m not doing the math what is the age gap now in place with the new rules? 3yrs- 4yrs 17-21?

I honestly don’t think they should change it.

It’s a huge power imbalance to have a 14yr old partnered with an adult, 18+. Which as we’ve discovered has created all sorts of other issues in the past.

Maybe let’s stop having actual children skating with grown men?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I was going to ask this very question. With him aging out of Juniors, can't she skate as a young senior? It's been so long but, didn't they used to do tests for Senior level events at a young age. Michelle Kwan placed 4th at 14 years of age in 1995
She’s not old enough for seniors—she’s only 14. And remember, the age for seniors is being raised, and she will be impacted by that.

I have no problem with them, and other existing teams impacted by the change (which includes the Japanese team who also competed here) being allowed to continue in juniors. All concerned would benefit from the opportunity to work on more advanced elements in a Junior competitive environment.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
She’s not old enough for seniors—she’s only 14. And remember, the age for seniors is being raised, and she will be impacted by that.

I have no problem with them, and other existing teams impacted by the change (which includes the Japanese team who also competed here) being allowed to continue in juniors. All concerned would benefit from the opportunity to work on more advanced elements in a Junior competitive environment.
other pairs of junior age may feel it is unfair to them

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The problem is that he’ll be 21, 22, 23 competing in junior competitions. This is his last year of junior eligibility (For a male pairs skater or ice dancer).

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone tell me, cause I’m not doing the math what is the age gap now in place with the new rules? 3yrs- 4yrs 17-21?

I honestly don’t think they should change it.

It’s a huge power imbalance to have a 14yr old partnered with an adult, 18+. Which as we’ve discovered has created all sorts of other issues in the past.

Maybe let’s stop having actual children skating with grown men?
They’re increasing the age by season. So this season, the age minimum is the same as it has been in previous seasons. Which is 15. It’ll be 16 for the 2023-2024 season. And then 17 for the 2024-2025 season. The cutoff is before midnight on July 1 like it always has been. Sophia was born in November 2008 (I may have the month wrong, but I know it’s after July). Daniel was born in March-May of 2002 (I can’t remember the month 100%, but I know it’s before the cutoff). Daniel will turn 21 before the cutoff, so he can’t do junior pairs anymore. However, Sophia was born after June 30, so she won’t be senior eligible until the 2026-2027 season.

That’s a problem I have with the new age rule. Because if they are going to still have the minimum age for juniors be 13, Mao Shimada won’t be eligible for seniors until the 2026-2027 season and for the Olympics until the 2030 Olympics. They should at least raise it to 14 if they’re going to have the senior min be raised to 17.

midori green

On the Ice
other pairs of junior age may feel it is unfair to them
Right? They'd have to do something like "Junior pairs/dance men can be 21/22, but their partners can't be more than x years younger than them, and only for the next two years." That's complicated. Also, Sonia turned 14 in (I think) December, so she was only 13 on the cutoff date of July 1st (she was too young for junior worlds last season!). They were already going to have one season in limbo before the age change, and they may have planned for that. At least new pairs forming will know the new rules and plan accordingly. Unfortunate for those affected currently. I have no idea, though, what their long-term plans were or if they've changed.