2023 World Junior Pairs Short Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2023 World Junior Pairs Short Program

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ted even pronounces Daniel incorrectly (as Dan-YELL instead of DAN-yell/DAN-yull). He makes it sound like the feminine form Danielle. He has many strengths, but name pronunciation is not one of them. I don't think language has anything to do with it. I knew of a teacher in college who pronounced someone's last name (Little) as Li-TELL. :shrug:

Now you've got me saying Daniel repeatedly, trying to work out how I pronounce it. And you know what... I think I pronounce it the same way as you are saying Ted does!

Come to think of it, I can't remember ever hearing it being pronounced the other ways you suggest.

Or, maybe it's just that I am bad at reading things written phonetically (I am!!!) :laugh:

I'll have to actually listen to Ted saying the name to come to work out if it is the same way I say it. The last skater I watched last night was a Daniel, so it'll be easy to check when I go back to watch the rest of the segment.

CaroLiza_fan

midori green

On the Ice
Now you've got me saying Daniel repeatedly, trying to work out how I pronounce it. And you know what... I think I pronounce it the same way as you are saying Ted does!

Come to think of it, I can't remember ever hearing it being pronounced the other ways you suggest.

Or, maybe it's just that I am bad at reading things written phonetically (I am!!!) :laugh:

I'll have to actually listen to Ted saying the name to come to work out if it is the same way I say it. The last skater I watched last night was a Daniel, so it'll be easy to check when I go back to watch the rest of the segment.

CaroLiza_fan
Not trying to give you a complex...ha! I took one phonetics class in college, so I hear things I could perhaps uave ignored before that. (Drives my husband crazy because we say some words differently due to growing up in different regions.) I think the second part of Daniel isn't generally pronounced distinctly, so there's probably variation there in the actual sounds. The main thing is that the emphasis is on the first syllable "Dan".

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Some people have "a good ear", and some don't. My daughter has a good ear, and I don't. Not only do I struggle with foreign words, I have some pronunciation problems in English as well.

My daughter went to school in Ontario and started with some French early in elementary school (grade 3 or 4). Because of the early start and her "good ear", she pronounces French well but she is not fluent. This leads to problems for her, since her accent leads people astray, and they talk much faster than she can comprehend. Her favorite phrase in French involves "slow down, please, my French is very weak". That does seem to help.

Not everyone can be a PJ Kwong. Some of us, alas, are Teds.
That is all true :) but still, when your job needs you to do better, you gotta improve :) that's all I am saying....

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not trying to give you a complex...ha! I took one phonetics class in college, so I hear things I could perhaps uave ignored before that. (Drives my husband crazy because we say some words differently due to growing up in different regions.) I think the second part of Daniel isn't generally pronounced distinctly, so there's probably variation there in the actual sounds. The main thing is that the emphasis is on the first syllable "Dan".

OK, I just listened to Ted again, and no, I definitely don't pronounce it like he does!

You're right, he says it like the female version, Danielle.

I know I come from the land where the word "film" has 2 syllables, but the name "Daniel" definitely does not have 3 syllables"! Even we draw the line at that!

That said, although the way "Daniel" is pronounced here is not as many 3 syllables, I wouldn't say it was as few as 2 syllables either. It's sort of in-between, if you know what I mean.

Oh, the joys of language!

CaroLiza_fan

midori green

On the Ice
OK, I just listened to Ted again, and no, I definitely don't pronounce it like he does!

You're right, he says it like the female version, Danielle.

I know I come from the land where the word "film" has 2 syllables, but the name "Daniel" definitely does not have 3 syllables"! Even we draw the line at that!

That said, although the way "Daniel" is pronounced here is not as many 3 syllables, I wouldn't say it was as few as 2 syllables either. It's sort of in-between, if you know what I mean.

Oh, the joys of language!

CaroLiza_fan
I think names like Kyle are tricky, too. It's like more than one syllable but less than two. 🤪