Javier Fernández: Third world title? | Golden Skate

Javier Fernández: Third world title?

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
Javier Fernández: Set for a Threepeat?

What do you think are the Spaniard chances for a third consecutive World title?

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
50%.

It should be a toss up between him and Hanyu, as always. But he's got a better track record of performing at worlds... so... 55%? :biggrin:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Feasible, but anything can happen because ice is slippery.

ETA: I'm more interested in who's going to take the bronze in Helsinki this season though as the gold and silver seem to be a lock unless something unexpected happens. Patrick, Boyang, Shoma, Nathan, Kovtun, Kolyada, Jason...:) This will be interesting.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
No one can beat a clean Hanyu....so it really depends on how he does. Shoma and Boyang might be more on Javier's heels this season as well, though I expect more consistency overall from Javi because he isn't introducing new quads.

While Hanyu is obviously in a class of his own overall, I love that Javier stayed clean and won Worlds. The men's competition was wayyyyyy too predictable going into Worlds, with everyone assuming Yuzuru would run away with it. I like unpredictable results!

The odds will, I expect, again be against Javier. But he could still accomplish it.

da96103

Record Breaker
If you want to win the Olympic gold medal, don't win the Worlds 3 times consecutively.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
It will up to who is skates with the least mistakes those two days. If Yuzuru is clean, he's got it. But his programs are more riskier layout-wise than Javier, and that is a double-edge sword. If he nails them, he can runaway with the title, if not Javier has the goods to win. Javier's usually at his best during Worlds, but we don't if Yuzuru will do any adjustments to his training in order to also be at his best in March. I think whoever wins the GPF will come off as the favorite, but as always, that doesn't guarantee anything. In short, I think his chances are good, but it won't just be up to him.
But barring a disaster, they should be 1-2 this year, too. The bronze medal...that's going to be harder to predict. Right now, I'm leaning towards Shoma, as he has a good balance between TES and PCS. But it would amazing if Worlds could be similar to last year's GPF where we had so many clean/almost clean skates (I can dream, right?)

da96103

Record Breaker
If you want to win the Olympic gold medal, don't win the Worlds 3 times consecutively.

This only applies to Canadians. :devil:

I thought the meaning behind this, is obvious but only EdgeCall understood this cryptic sentence. Looks like the skating fans are more enamored with the young ones: Chen, Boyang, Uno.
Old skaters (who are not even retired yet) are forgotten in less than 4 years.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and so will be the youngster coming 2026.... older fans like some of us, know of the Canadian Curse.. this time around, I feel that our Canadian isn't skating for gold nor is the favourite... that's different so perhaps the curse will be broken... once and for ever. I know 90% of the people on this forum wish otherwise ;) but I don't care..

As for Javi, he does everything well so why not? He has just as many chances as the other skaters to win this year. May the best one that day earns the gold.

I thought the meaning behind this, is obvious but only EdgeCall understood this cryptic sentence. Looks like the skating fans are more enamored with the young ones: Chen, Boyang, Uno.
Old skaters (who are not even retired yet) are forgotten in less than 4 years.

mrrice

Record Breaker
and so will be the youngster coming 2026.... older fans like some of us, know of the Canadian Curse.. this time around, I feel that our Canadian isn't skating for gold nor is the favourite... that's different so perhaps the curse will be broken... once and for ever. I know 90% of the people on this forum wish otherwise ;) but I don't care..

As for Javi, he does everything well so why not? He has just as many chances as the other skaters to win this year. May the best one that day earns the gold.

I agree. Patrick came back for a lot of reasons but we all know that he wants to break the "Curse" and I think it's entirely possible. Every time I think about 2010, it still shocks that Evan was able to defeat all those great skaters, ( Including Plushy ) without a quad. If Evan can do it, Patrick certainly can. Worlds in 2017 will be huge and the winner will certainly carry the momentum into the games just like Evan did as the winner of Worlds in 2009.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't know :) i think he suffered from the curse in 2014 already and he just wants to keep developing gorgeous skating. his new lp is gorgeous.
I agree. Patrick came back for a lot of reasons but we all know that he wants to break the "Curse" and I think it's entirely possible. Every time I think about 2010, it still shocks that Evan was able to defeat all those great skaters, ( Including Plushy ) without a quad. If Evan can do it, Patrick certainly can. Worlds in 2017 will be huge and the winner will certainly carry the momentum into the games just like Evan did as the winner of Worlds in 2009.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
i don't know :) i think he suffered from the curse in 2014 already and he just wants to keep developing gorgeous skating. his new lp is gorgeous.

Okay.................But if he wins, you buy the Ice Wine...;)

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

Personally, I don't like to think of it as a matter of "the Canadian curse". I just think the skaters can have good or bad days, or there may be other factors (pressure, injuries, etc)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
tell this to the many canadian men, world champions the year prior to olympics who didn't get the gold ;)
Personally, I don't like to think of it as a matter of "the Canadian curse". I just think the skaters can have good or bad days, or there may be other factors (pressure, injuries, etc)