2010-2011 Programs by Discipline | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2010-2011 Programs by Discipline

janetfan

Match Penalty
I feel the complete opposite of your regarding Akiko's program.....I love it and really think she's one of the most expressive skaters!!!!!

I agree with you on this - but I don't think blades was criticizing Akiko's skating as much as he was evaluating her program.

Trying to say this to blades without sounding sarcastic - but isn't the whole, entire concept of the IJS based on skating for points?

After showing a couple of fine performances last year only to find herself behind on "points" doesn't it make sense for Akiko to try and "milk the system" the way Evan, Patrick, Joannie and other skaters did last season :think:

I am sure you are using a standard that feels right to me - but is missing in the CoP.
On the other hand, didn't Akiko prove last season that really soulful performances don't score nearly as many points as an awkward spin or spiral done to the CoP standards. And steps as well?

If Rachael's awkward spins and Evan's herky-jerky steps can milk the system for points shouldn't Akiko try for a similar strategy? It's not like she is a young skater going through learning stages.........or that her competitive career has that many years left.

Anyway, I like the way Akiko SKATES and PERFORMS and I will never understand how Miki with half as many clean triples beat Akiko in the LP at the GPF last season. Or Yuna for that matter.

But I might just be judging by what I like and not by what matters - which is the CoP coupled with an unhealthy dose of reputation scoring.

Here is a great moment from last season - Akiko's LP at the GPF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYZPzupbNk

I happen to have a very strong professional and personal relationship to the music from West Side Story - and I don't think I can recall a skater bringing it to life on the ice the way Akiko did last season :love:

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Trying to say this to blades without sounding sarcastic - but isn't the whole, entire concept of the IJS based on skating for points?

The problem is that people these days are mainly only skating for technical points rather than artistic points.

When you do a spin with a bunch of variations and pointless rotations that make no sense with the music, you may be gaining more points technically, but you should be LOSING points in the PCS. Enough points such that you shouldn't be attempting the spin because you would gain more points by doing an "easier" spin that looks better, interprets the music better, and allows you more time for other choreography.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's the first I've heard of Faiella and Scali's music. I assume if they're doing My Fair Lady for the Sd that they are using "I could have danced all night" and not "Just you wait 'enry 'iggins" :)

berrycute

On the Ice
Carolina Kostner's SP will be "Galicia Flamenca", I believe it's the same piece used by Kimmie Meisner for her LP in the 2006-2007 season (Lori's obviously not worried about repeating herself...)

You can listen to the piece here, it's a very interesting bit of music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADPvQJgbvo

Tanja90

On the Ice

burntBREAD

Medalist
whole post

Oh, I see what you're saying, and after watching the program a few more times, I agree with what you said. The program seems a bit...generic. I probably, like Layfan, enjoyed the performance because it was pretty clean and I like Akiko in general, but from an objective viewpoint, it didn't really have the same effect as West Side Story.

In particular, I agree with your complaint about the spins-- Akiko Suzuki clearly does NOT have the best spins in the business (they slow down majorly and she appears to not be able to do a good sit spin) and her spins, particularly the second one (which isn't even supposed to be a complicated combination spin i.e. change-foot) seem to last forever. Sometimes, CoP works. This time, it frankly doesn't

Also, this program is to "Fiddler on the Roof", which really, like you said, needs more than "willowy movements" - when the music fluctuates (and this happens quite often in this piece), the choreography needs to adapt...perhaps Akiko just needs more time and we'll see more choreography- or Pasquale Camerlengo needs to fix up his choreography (probably won't happen)..

And I agree! Arabesques only please. :biggrin:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I agree with you on this - but I don't think blades was criticizing Akiko's skating as much as he was evaluating her program.

After showing a couple of fine performances last year only to find herself behind on "points" doesn't it make sense for Akiko to try and "milk the system" the way Evan, Patrick, Joannie and other skaters did last season :think:

I am sure you are using a standard that feels right to me - but is missing in the CoP.
On the other hand, didn't Akiko prove last season that really soulful performances don't score nearly as many points as an awkward spin or spiral done to the CoP standards. And steps as well?

If Rachael's awkward spins and Evan's herky-jerky steps can milk the system for points shouldn't Akiko try for a similar strategy? It's not like she is a young skater going through learning stages.........or that her competitive career has that many years left.

Anyway, I like the way Akiko SKATES and PERFORMS and I will never understand how Miki with half as many clean triples beat Akiko in the LP at the GPF last season. Or Yuna for that matter.

But I might just be judging by what I like and not by what matters - which is the CoP coupled with an unhealthy dose of reputation scoring.

Here is a great moment from last season - Akiko's LP at the GPF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYZPzupbNk

I happen to have a very strong professional and personal relationship to the music from West Side Story - and I don't think I can recall a skater bringing it to life on the ice the way Akiko did last season :love:

I agree with you sort of but there are some skaters that manage to do both - have memorable choreography AND meet COP standards. Yuna is the most awesome example, of course. I definitely didn't feel like I was watching her gathering points with her Gershwin and James Bond last year. Mirai too and also Joannie's SP had soul and fun choreo. Rachael's SP was well choreographed too, although I just don't always like her execution. One thing I like about Alissa, too, is that she almost always has lovely choreo. It's not just her skating I like - I love the choreo of her Sabrina program and the SP from last year too. Even if another good skater was skating it, I'd like the program.
Not that I felt like I was just watching Akiko gain points - that goes too far. But I have no memory of the choreography. I just remember that it was pleasant to watch and that her costume was cute. So, hopefully she'll add at bit more distinctiveness into her program even though I know it's hard because COP has so many requirements. Even if she doesn't, though, she is a joy to watch.
I do wonder if Akiko gets noticed as much as I think she should by the judges. She got okay scores for choreo and interpretation but Kiira's were higher. I thought Kiira did great on choreo and interpretation and all that but I think Akiko is every bit as expressive if not more.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I agree with you sort of but there are some skaters that manage to do both - have memorable choreography AND meet COP standards. Yuna is the most awesome example, of course. I definitely didn't feel like I was watching her gathering points with her Gershwin and James Bond last year.

For me, only Yu-Na's programs from 2007 truly hold up. In all of her other programs I most definitely see convoluted technical elements that act disharmoniously with the music and are only there because the "rules" require it.

shine

Record Breaker
Well, to be honest, Camerlengo so far hasn't convinced me of his choreographic talent or his ability to pick up subtle nuances in the music. Everybody raved about Takahashi's LP last year, but besides some of the "clown" moves I actually thought it was quite generic and majorly lacked transitions. Abbott's program had more transitions but still had that kind of generic feel to it, and I thought the program was inferior to his previous programs with Tom Dickson.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Completely agree about Abbott's LP last year. It ended up being a big step down from his previous programs. Thankfully his SP was awesome, though.

Takahashi's program was excellent, however. It was so playful and warm, with CoP footwork that worked. I also love how the Salchow comes right before that flutter in the music - perfect jump choice to interpret that moment. There were a lot of other lovely nuances which might be missed at first glance. I do agree the program could have been improved in the transition department (perhaps not in the way you meant though...he already has subtle steps before just about every jump). His last two jumps needed more of a build-up leading into them. A quick spread eagle before the first Lutz would have been perfect with that section of the music since he doesn't already have one in the program. And then inbetween that Lutz and his last jump of the program, he should have put in the spin that was slotted before his last footwork sequence (changing it to a layback!).

Then the program would have been perfect.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The problem is that people these days are mainly only skating for technical points rather than artistic points.
+1.

When you do a spin with a bunch of variations and pointless rotations that make no sense with the music, you may be gaining more points technically, but you should be LOSING points in the PCS.
Unfortunately it is not happening. New Adam' program has nothing in common with Rachmaninov's music. But his PCS is high for probably the worst interpretation of that music that I have ever seen on the ice, especially performed by leaders.

berrycute

On the Ice
Just a slight aside for those interested, it was mentioned in another thread that Laura Lepistö's SP will be Besamo Mucho.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I really like the look of that SP of Carolina's..It would be lovely if she could do it at the right time. I also like the way Adam's program is shaping up. beautiful skating to beautiful music...what's not to like ?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner's SP will be "Galicia Flamenca", I believe it's the same piece used by Kimmie Meisner for her LP in the 2006-2007 season (Lori's obviously not worried about repeating herself...)

You can listen to the piece here, it's a very interesting bit of music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADPvQJgbvo

It is a excellent piece of music and its harsh, stacatto quality suits Carolina very well, but dear Lori, your recyling of music is getting very old. Please go back to those nice orginal tapes you were listening to in the 90's!

SXTN

Final Flight
I LOVE CARO'S NEW SP !!!!!!!!!

If she can get the jumps together, this could be my favorite program of the season.

I LOVE CARO'S NEW SP !!!!!!!!!
I agree. It's actually the first program of hers that I've ever liked. For one thing, the costume is long enough to cover her butt. (It's a bit odd, looks like practice clothes, but it's very flattering.) Her spins are gorgeous, esp. the camel. And she performs it. If she skates like this I won't mind her picking up a few medals. Good job, I hope she can keep it up. I wouldn't wish a season like hers last year on anyone.

sillylionlove

Medalist
For one thing, the costume is long enough to cover her butt. (It's a bit odd, looks like practice clothes, but it's very flattering.).

Glad I wasn't the only one who was bothered by that. With all the high end fashion designers in Italy you think that someone would have figured how to cover the butt and the chest.

But I normally am not a fan but I will admit her program is pretty good.

Tanja90

On the Ice
the costume is long enough to cover her butt. (It's a bit odd, looks like practice clothes, but it's very flattering.)

It's not her costume for this program..in that gala she was wearing clothes from the fall winter collection by iceberg...no cavalli this season!

It's not her costume for this program..in that gala she was wearing clothes from the fall winter collection by iceberg...no cavalli this season!
I feared as much but was hoping she'd have the nerve to be different. Well, hopefully she or her designers will realize that she looks a lot better in a longer skirt.